Wcml South: London Euston - Birmingham Route Add-on Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trainsimplayer2020, Dec 26, 2020.

1. trainsimplayer2020

trainsimplayer2020 Well-Known Member

Does this work now or it still have the same problem as it had when it was first released?

Thinking about buying the deluxe version of TS 2021 as I also do not have Fife Circle Line: Edinburgh - Dunfermline Route Add-On.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I'm also considering buying the deluxe version. Just concerned with the performance of WCML South.
    There were several posts and videos mentioned the performance issues when it came out. There has been two patches since but hardly a word written or video posted about it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  3. brummie

brummie Active Member

Hi both, yes, it is worth getting. If you have a good read through the latter half of the forum thread pertaining to this route you will get a clearer picture. I waited till it was patched before buying and l didn't regret it one bit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

It's a LOT better than it was when first launched. Still got issues, but grab it while the sale is on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

If you have interest in UK routes, yes. It isn't perfect and still isn't the best performing route, but it's much better than the tire fire they originally released. Very playable and enjoyable now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigMountain555

Great. I am from Canada, but have really started liking UK routes since playing TS2021. This will add to my collection of UK routes. Interestingly, I love German routes for TSW2. I might as well take advantage of the deal. That's 4 routes for less than the price of one.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

9. Pookeyhead

It's still a demanding route, especially around Wembley.. it can chug along if you have an old PC.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. BigMountain555

I took the deal... could not go wrong with $31 bucks Canadian for 4 routes including the WCML South. It runs better on my old PC than I was expecting. There are a few noticeable frame rate drops but not enough to hinder my enjoyment of the game. The graphics are great. There are so many different building models all over the route.

I could not get the 350 to start moving until I looked up a solution on the forums. Thanks to 749006 response to another posted on an older thread, I was able to get the beast moving. This is a great route due to the sheer amount of content... the stations, locos, and scenery.

This purchase also gave me the Powerhaul Class 66 V2.0 which I had on my Wishlist. This is refreshing compared to the recent "trend" with TSW where we get one loco with a route. I am glad I waited to pick this up because I was shocked to see the awful performance during the launch stream. They really should have pulled it that day.

• Like Like x 1
  11. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Indeed, or better still not released it in that state!

I'm glad you like it, that encourages me to get it, even with my semi-potato PC.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pookeyhead

What is your PC? I'm on a 10 year old 6 core i7 3960X with a GTX980 and it runs fine, apart from around Wembley where I get around 18fps... normally though, I get around 25fps at 2560x1600 (1600P) with all quality settings on maximum, and FXAA+2x2SSAA, occlusion on Max, and I'm also running RW Enhancer Pro and around 6 Reshade shaders.

13. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

AMD A8-6600K and an Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti. The CPU will be the bottleneck.

14. Pookeyhead

Indeed.

15. hightower

hightower Guest

I’ve just bitten the bullet and bought it standalone in the sale and I’d say that now, after the patches, it’s definitely worth it. It goes without saying that it’s infinitely better with the AP Weather & Track EP’s, as well as the AP Class 390 Soundpack. All of those are on sale right now. It’s also worth getting the Major Wales Design Class 390 revamp pack (free) too. Most good 3rd party scenarios will use it.

Regarding performance, I’ve come to the conclusion with this game that it’s best not to stress about headline FPS. On paper this route is chucking out low FPS, but the reality for me is it’s smooth as you like with very little stuttering. I’ve finally come to realise that that is what is important.

I’m aiming to get a video up on my YouTube channel in the next few days of a full run in 4K. You’ll be able to see just what a decent route it now is. It’s a shame it wasn’t released like this the first time around though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Pookeyhead

Agreed... AP Weather.... AP Track... AP 390 sound pack... and Major Wales revamp pack.

20201224181629_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. hightower

hightower Guest

Now YouTube has finally finished processing the 4K version, as promised - Euston to New Street.

I believe the route remains on sale for another 48hrs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2021
  18. Pookeyhead

Why does your sun look like the moon.. like it's painted on? There's no glare around it... and a dark sky, and really bright shadow areas, but no actual shadows being cast by the sun on the ground.
    7457836373.JPG

Mine looks like this...(same time of day)

20210103113446_1.jpg

Your speed indicator illumination seems bleached out too, so you can't read the numbers... and your sky is a really dark saturated blue like some weird HDR thing is going on.

43523452345.JPG

Mine looks natural.

20210103115554_1.jpg

Something's not right there. Have you checked you don't have multiple things like Reshade shaders and RWEnhancer set to do equal but opposite things? I had that once, and got some weird results.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  19. hightower

hightower Guest

I forgot to say Pookeyhead, you were right. Some settings in RWEnhancer were all over the place, I think I’d been experimenting and didn’t correctly reload my previous settings. All sorted now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I bought it the last day of the steam sale with the deluxe edition of TS2021. Totally worth it, great routes, specially WCML. The frames in my case (I don't have a good GPU) were good in WCML, even better I think than te other routes.

21. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Is that only part of the AP pack or is it available for standard users too?

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The pack from Major Wales is Free but you require the AP 390 pack which is not available

This is Free and just adds repaints to the WCML South 390s
    https://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-info.php?form_fileid=40118

Peter

23. hightower

hightower Guest

Not this one. It only requires the Class 390 that comes with WCMLS and the AP 390 sound pack, nothing else.

24. Pookeyhead

Was there ever a AP 390? I'm sure there's only ever been a sound pack, and that is still available. The Major Wales addons work fine with the WCML South version of the 390, as does the AP sound pack.

25. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I am presuming if you got this in December, it will incorporate the update? I didn’t think about it, till I saw it listed as an update in Steam, now I can’t find that again.

26. Pookeyhead

Even if you bought it right from the get go, it will be updated automatically through Steam.

27. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Thanks, thought that seemed likely, hence the surprise in seeing the update offered. Glad it’s sorted :)

28. Pookeyhead

It still has issues... which have been covered elsewhere, but it's far from the car crash it was when first launched.

29. BigMountain555

I bought it just after Christmas during the sale as part of the Deluxe package... I would say it is well worth it. I am glad I bought after the two patches. It is now my favourite route. It is good bang for the buck compared to TSW2 routes. Over 180 kms, 6 locos, and great graphics. High speed, local, and freight. So far I am pleased with this route.

30. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I don't think it uses the AP 390 Sound pack as that is not available

31. hightower

hightower Guest

32. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Does this 390 tilt? I'll be getting WCML South anyway, but was just asking ahead of time ;)

33. Pookeyhead

Yes of course the 390 tilts. It's kind of its party trick... you couldn't have a Pendolino that doesn't tilt. If you want tilt though, I'd recommend the APT... that thing is insane at 150mph :)

• Like Like x 1
  34. Pookeyhead

We've just been through this further up the thread :) It is available, and fully compatible with the WCML South 390. Not long ago you went ballistic at me for not checking something before I posted Peter :)

• Like Like x 1
  35. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Well, yes, and I totally agree. However, I'd heard that there was a release of the 390 which did NOT tilt, hence my question.:cool:

36. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

If you buy it, do it in the Deluxe Edition. Not sure if it's worth it by itself. But 55% off at the last sale was a pretty high discount, and I suspect that discount will go to 60 or 70% at some point. Hlding out on Clinchfield myself because of it, and Fife, both routes I am curious about.

BTW, sale price of Deluxe Edition was a better price than the route solo, so definitely buy the package.