Original New York Pennsylvania Station

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by steammaster4449, Jan 23, 2021.

?
  1. It is indeed a rather interesting suggestion.

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. Eh. It ain't that interesting.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Ah yes.
    New York Pennsylvania Station.
    A once grand station now reduced to a basement-like existence that causes it to be one of the most despised stations in America, despite being the busiest. One whose former grandeur has been alluded to with an expansion into a former design counterpart that opened on January 1, 2021. Now, I'm aware we technically already have Penn Station in the NEC route and the LIRR route, but I'm not suggesting the station in it's modern day form, squashed beneath Madison Square Garden. Rather, I'm suggesting Penn Station be made in TSW2 in it's ORIGINAL form. The form that made one feel like a king or queen upon stepping off of the train. The form that was the crown jewel for the firm that designed it, McKim, Mead & White, as well as the crown jewel for the railroad president who was responsible for it being constructed in the first place, Mr. Alexander Johnston Cassatt.
    Now, you might be wondering, "Why in the world would this dude suggest making a station we already have, but in its original form?" My response, "Well, I do like some good architecture when I see it. But most importantly, it can help those of us who've never been in the original live what once was, and what could be again."
    I may be crazy to suggest this, but anybody whose personally known me for a while will easily tell you that this is far from the craziest thing I've done.
    Anyways, let's move along to some photographs of New York Pennsylvania Station in all it's original grandeur.

[​IMG]

A look at a part of the main waiting room in the later days of the station in its original form:

[​IMG]

An exterior view of one of its four entrances:

[​IMG]

Another look at the main waiting room, this time showing off Mr. Cassatt's bronze statue. Shame he never lived long enough to see his station's construction finished.
    Fun Fact: That statue is still around nowadays in the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]

A look at the concourse of Penn Station:

[​IMG]

Here we have an eye level photo of the main waiting room.

[​IMG]

Another eye level view, this time of the concourse:

[​IMG]

Here we see another view of the concourse as well as the steps down to the platforms. Fun Fact, some of those staircases are still intact within Penn Station's modern day form. Anyways, let's get to the photo:

[​IMG]

And here we have a street level floorplan of the station:

[​IMG]

If y'all wanna see more photographs of what Penn Station once was, I recommend this page on the Museum Of New York City's website.
    Now, Penn Station did make it into some films, so let's have a look at those.

At the time of this video being filmed, Penn Station wasn't as clean as it once was due to high maintenance costs and the Pennsylvania Railroad running at a loss and therefore being unable to afford the station's upkeep. Anyways, by the time of filming, Penn Station had also gotten a new, modern ticket machine that was supposed to be quick and efficient. Spoiler alert: It wasn't. And it didn't go well with the architecture of the building. Critics certainly didn't like it. Anyways, it's shown at 1:20 in the video. Speaking of which, lets get to the video:

Here's a 2018 video talking about Penn Station's appearances in movies:

And here we have a comparison between what was and what is:

Fun Fact: All 353 of the original drawings used in Penn Stations initial construction are all owned by the New York Historical Society and are in their archives. Digitize them, and you've gotten a start on rebuilding Penn back to what it once was, and making history. But anyways, I'm letting my dreaming streak loose a lil bit. Back to it.
    Here we have another web page with some more photographs of Penn in its original form: https://newpenn.nyc/reference/historic-penn-station/

Now, I'm aware this suggestion is most likely not gonna be made, but one can dream, right? Well anyways, what's everyone's thoughts on this?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  2. steammaster4449

Something that has been put into perspective for me as of posting this is just how fast a thread'll get buried here in the TSW section of the forums. Also, this is probably the only time I'll reply to this thread in the capacity of this reply.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

I would absolutely love to see the old Penn Station resurrected in TSW2! The fact it was not seen in Train Simulator 20XX means that it would be a completely new experience of the US's busiest corridor. It's surprising it's never been done before!

Yes it is unfortunate there is so much noise here that quality suggestion posts can get drowned out.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Although that being said; Your title definitely isn't helping and it would be much better if the title was clearer and more informative.
    I wouldn't have read the post if not for that fact I am constantly looking for posts of unique locations (typically non US, DE, UK routes).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I agree with James, the title's kind of cryptic and changing it would probably get some more traction.

On the whole though a good idea, one thing I've wanted to see in TSW or TS Classic is a Pennsylvania Railroad NEC route. The area's very different from how it was back in the day, both in terms of infrastructure and motive power, it would basically be a new route.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steammaster4449

Alright, jamesbaby286, Mich, thread name has been changed to better reflect what it is.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The problem with that- besides the complexity of the project itself- is that it would only work with a vintage US route, with no crossover at all to modern routes/rolling stock or even passengers-- and the need to license trademarks from defunct railroads starting with the Pennsylvania.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steammaster4449

Well, I would think Norfolk Southern and CSX own the licenses of the former "standard railroad of America" due to the whole Penn Central-Conrail-Conrail split deal. So it shouldn't be that hard to get a license if Penn Station does make it into the game. And besides, do remember that I did say in the original post:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

In terms of complexity you could use existing New York routes as a base, it would still require a lot of work, but less work than most others I'd reckon. Also getting the Pennsylvania license ain't the most difficult, Horseshoe Curve has it, there's also been a number of addon engines that feature the branding way more recently. As for it not having any crossover with anything else, well you have to start somewhere, as long as you never make old stock you'll never have it. Besides having the ability to use stock from other routes is nice, but I'd hardly say it's required. If I want SEHS I want it to drive a 395, not just have another stomping ground for a GWR HST. Or if I want LIRR, I want it for the M7 or M3, not just to drive ACS-64's down it all day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I dont know, for some reason Norfolk Southern gave DTM the cold shoulder when they wanted to release an Erie Lakwana skin for their U34ch locomotive. Hopefully this doesn't effect future fallen flags from Norfolk Southern. (Though DTM is making a New Haven DL-109 right now, so maybe NS is picky on their fallen flags?)

Or would that fall under CSX or whatever Conrail is these days (Yes they still exist: https://www.conrail.com/)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Barely:

12. steammaster4449

I just noticed that you said:
    So do know that there is a VERY good reason as to why I said
    in my original post.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I like the idea but what route would you suggest dtg would make for the old Penn Station. This isn't city skylines after all. Also dtg don't normally make the exterior or walkways of major stations at all so I doubt they will make the exterior of the station and walkways in which you can explore the station but seeing the old platforms would be intresting

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  14. steammaster4449

Like I said in the original post,
    But if I was to suggest a route to put this on, it would have to be an NEC or LIRR route either set in the past or as a what if route set in the modern day to show what it'd be like if the move to rebuild Penn Station in its original form comes to fruition.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1