Awesome Tsw Service Mode Runs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustWentSouth, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Smograil

Smograil Member

Just done an interesting return working on GWE

Start at Paddington with 1N40 which is the 1609 service to Maidenhead. You will have a clear run as far as Slough using both the fast and slow lines, where you catch up with a freight train in front (1557 from Acton). The freight service, itself an interesting run, is following another passenger train. You will have a mix of yellows, double yellows and reds all the way to Maidenhead, where you crossover and terminate in the up platform.

After approx ten minutes sitting you form 3N40 back to Paddington, immediately crossing onto the fast lines to run empty back to London. If you're quick enough, you'll get some more restrictive signals around Slough as a result of a service in front.

A brilliant return trip, this was on PS4 but I assume its the same across platforms

Edit: Class 166 traction

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  2. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

Just did this one, very nice indeed.:D

• Like Like x 3
  3. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Great Western Express

My favourite isn't even listed in the time table. It may of been posted before in this list and I may of missed it.

Spawn at 0620hrs at Reading Upper triangle depot, you'll see a Class 166 on its own.

Jump in and you'll become 5P12 to Reading, you will then get to Reading and become 2P12 and it's pretty much all stations to London.

Plenty of restrictive signalling up to Slough and then really trying to keep right time all the way to London, a really challenging scenario as the timings are very tight.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 7
  4. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

upload_2021-1-14_22-52-48.png i would recommend this one that has rush hour in it need to wait around 20 mins to depart from wuppertal steinbeck and then you follow an passenger train along the line to hagen

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

So how quick is the good quick? I had the BR 155, PZB M (only 600t of steel waggons), got there, uncoupled right as RE was passing by and got green right away. Though it had me running the other track all the way to Boele (is that the thing I'm looking for?).

6. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I ran M mode with the 182 and dawdled a bit, not uncoupling until 15:30. I had a good 20 minute wait after that. And yes, I believe the surprise was seeing the signal go green with a wrong side running display.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Just done these two runs together. Brilliant run, with plenty of swapping from fast to slow lines and back again, along with the adverse signals taking a slower pace with that lovely afternoon sunshine I can really appreciate the detail on this route. Thanks for finding it!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

I love this thread, but I've come to realise it does have a downside. It does tend to spoil the surprise of these services a bit.

It is nice to know that I'm doing an interesting run, but there's nothing better than unknowingly doing an interesting service, and coming across unexpected adverse signals. When you know it's coming it kind of spoils the experience a bit.

For example I just did a freight run on MSB (mentioned in another thread about runs with adverse signals) where you get stopped behind a banker service on the ramp, but because I knew what was going to happen I started slowing way before the signal. Kind of ruined the enjoyment of the service a tad.

Perhaps we should only write the route and service number and not actually go into detail of what happens, so we don't spoil the runs. Or perhaps leave the details in a seperate bit at the end of the post with a spoiler warning. Then it is up to the reader to decide...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. JustWentSouth

Yes, the surprise is a large part of the fun, isn't it? One approach would be to try the services listed on LeadCatcher 's spreadsheet that is linked here:

Google Sheets:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sgD_TrrH1biix0m4TdfmPwqk0_ZTtdHXInhiGQvFW4s/edit?usp=sharing
    Excel:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mssvus4rv441q2q/AwesomeServices.xlsx?dl=0

Those services are posted roughly in the order that they are recommended on the forum so you can try a run and then read forward in the thread until you get to where the run is described.

Another approach would be to just add a wait at the start. Get things started and then just walk away for a few minutes. This will change the character of the run. Admittedly, it sometimes makes it less interesting, but that can also be a bit of a surprise. I know that for the "chaos" runs I have described in this thread (these are not listed in the spreadsheets due to complexity and the fact that they are not really service mode runs) the run changes significantly depending on how long you wait. This is especially true for HMA Eastbound Chaos listed about half way down on page 4.

If a wait leads to something interesting, please post it for the rest of us. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

True enough. Yesterday I did a routine ICE run under LZB, Aachen to Cologne, and was nonplussed when the train started braking early, then I got to observe as it rode the yellows and reds, including a full stop, because I was behind a slow something. Pleasant surprise; something out of the ordinary that did't cause the usual PzB finger dance!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

That's a fairly common occurrence on Aachen-Cologne ICE runs. At the first red light you halt beside a freight waiting to depart towards Aachen. But it's impressive that LZB brings you from full line speed to a total stop completely automatically. It's best to cut the power if you can see from the LZB display that the final speed restriction is 000, otherwise the train "yoyos" as the spacing to the train ahead changes block by block, which might be a bit uncomfortable for the passengers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. solicitr

Good to know. Thanks!

13. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I'd recommend a little improvement to this one. At the very beginning wait 2-3 minutes (you can check by getting to the "crossing" waypoint at about 7:57). You then get stopped before crossing to mainline to let intermodal normally leaving after you overtake you and manifest from summit arrive before the game lets you back on mainline. This gives you a delay that will make the set of services a bit more interesting (you have to run them back to back or save (a very reliable functionality), not start a different part from the menu). You can run into a red light at Mance because of another train blocking your way over to the other track and you get a red light on your way back because helpers return before you back to Cumberland (and getting over 7000 tons back to move before the summit is challenging even with a dry track). Added bonus is that with this delay all service parts start instantly after one another, no wait times for the run to proceed.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Marvellous! I‘ll have to try that, thanks for sharing:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

16. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Hey LeadCatcher. I noticed that the spreadsheet is getting quite busy so I've taken the liberty of cleaning it up a bit by sorting by routes and removing the "No" spam from the "Spawn on Foot" column, as well as cleaning up the names a bit. Please feel free to make this document your own!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WydZi6slB5yptdyza3oG9VZMwyeIvZKf8M6sTIs1cI0/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  17. LeadCatcher

No problem - there were about 5 entries that did spawn on foot - hopefully you moved that info to the comments
    I have a master I am working form and will make some improvements -- sorting by route was something I was going to get to as long as it didn't interfere with my picklists -- will look at yours as a template

For anybody else -- please feel free to take the raw sheets and customize to make them more useful for yourselves - my structure was just a quick go with several sheets to use as dropdown list to ease maintenance, I am sure it can be improved upon.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  18. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Hmm, I only see two "Yes" values in the column, but I did not check for that info in the comments. I will look again. I did not remove the column, just replaced the need for a "Yes" or "No" with a simple asterisk. :)

EDIT: I found one more (for GWR) but can't find the other two. I have added it.

Cheers

19. LeadCatcher

Great idea -- that column irritates me as well :)

EDIT - I went back and looked as well - I think 3 is the correct #. The others were making runs to create chaos which I decided not to include on the list.

20. JustWentSouth

This officially tipped me over the edge to buy the C40-8. I love round analog gauges and can't resist encountering red lights because of a delay!

I will give the series a go, but doubt I will hold on for 4 hours. At the start of each service, I will try a save.

As a backup, I will make note of the time that I start each service so that I can relaunch the service and then just wait until I reach whatever delay that had accumulated. I would imagine that would create a similar, but not identical experience. Any system ripples created by earlier delays would be lost. Also, by just sitting and waiting, my train would be claiming blocks from the dispatcher sooner than it would if I had started the service late because I arrived late.

21. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

Another interesting run for you all on GWE with the class 166, 2P21 reading to london, leaving reading at 07:34. I'll put the details below for those interested. I was running about 30 seconds late from the start, in case that's important, but I get the feeling the run may be even more interesting if you are running on time.

SPOILER DETAILS
    Basically just following another stopping service (I guess the 2P20 service) that seems to be stopping at different stations to you, so sometimes you catch it up and other times it pulls away. I was running late but I guess you may get even more adverse signals if you are on time as you'd probably be following it closer

• Like Like x 4
  22. playthoseblues

playthoseblues Active Member

A decent run that I've just finished on Peninsula Corridor 268 16:57 SF to SJ with the Baby Bullet. All runs smoothly most of the way with plenty of northbound traffic with stopping freight around South SF. Down at Lawrence ,you have to wait a few minutes whilst two other passenger trains thunder past you before you rejoin the main line. The incident allowed me to chase up the three minutes I was behind and hit SJ on time with a satisfying gold to beat.

• Like Like x 2
  23. JustWentSouth

Thanks, Lamplight and Monder for getting me back on Sand Patch. The U877A-D runs were excellent, especially with that delay at the start and the C40-8 adds some nice traffic patterns to the route. I have found a run which I would like to recommend:

Sand Patch Grade service Q217 with the AC4400 followed by X791 Helper Return.

No real spoilers here:
    This is a westbound autorack with a 2x2 DPU set up. The first challenge of the service is to set up the DPU units correctly. Ctrl - and Ctrl + weren't working for me, so I was in for a bit of a hike to the rear and back - Ctrl 0 didn't work either. If you aren't sure how to set up DPU, there is plenty of advice on the forums. I used the guide by breblimator :
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o7zeIn-Nshe7_bzqkd7hQg2QrV0G9xNvBevPoxTunA8/edit#gid=0
    geloxo also has DPU instructions in an excellent guide to Train Sim World Special Features:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1693369538

The traffic pattern out of Cumberland and on the east slope is interesting. Once you reach Sand Patch, you can cut off the helpers and continue the autorack run. Or, you can walk back to the helpers and take them back down the hill yourself. That service is X791. If you take the helpers back down, you have to somewhat undo your DPU set up when you started out at Cumberland. Turn Banking.com off in your lead unit. Walk back to the 3rd unit which is the lead for the helper pair. Set it up as a trail now with the key change being the MU-2A valve to Trail. Head to the 4th unit, take it over, and set it up as a lead. It's a fun ride down the hill!

Edit: I had the wrong link to Breblimator's guide. Now fixed

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  24. JustWentSouth

25. JustWentSouth

SPG Chaos Run:

Start in service I368, Eastbound Manifest Chicago to Cumberland leaving Rockwood at 14:47 hrs. It is available for any of the locomotives. Wait before starting off and leave shortly after 15:25.

Spoiler: Westbound U876A crosses over into the eastbound main near Mance at 15:44. It heads west and then backs down the Shaw mine branch, clearing the main at 16:00. If you head over to the switch as U876A goes past and then backs down into the Shaw branch, you can enjoy the sound of the automated switch. After clearing the first waypoint, it is a routine run to Sand Patch and then down the hill.

Creating chaos on SPG is a challenge. I initially tried by starting a freight at Rockwood and waiting for the Shaw mine service to get get on the main for the Yoder run around. I targeted the U877C service starting at 9:57. I began in Q008 due to leave Rockwood at 9:33. No matter how long I waited, the dispatcher would not allow U877B to leave the branch and get on the main until after I had cleared.

When setting up I368 run above, I discovered that the dispatcher would not allow I368 and U876A to be on the eastbound main at the same time thereby preventing a standoff. I have spent a while trying to create dispatch headaches on TSW2 routes and have yet to come across a situation where there is a red light standoff shutting down the route. The TSW2 dynamic dispatcher is impressive.

For those of you inclined to enjoy driving through a little chaos, I have compiled a spreadsheet of Chaos Runs that have been posted here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMKrwNA2OmZz8tVEQo1_FZnRZXpNT463/view?usp=sharing

This link is also posted on the lead thread below LeadCatcher 's compilation of the Service Mode Runs.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  26. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

Wow! I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Really miss that interaction in the normal "westbound/eastbound" services. How do you have the time and patience? :D
    Well done and many many thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  27. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

The 12:52 "TGV 6175 Nice Ville" is a run which starts at Avignon towards Marseille, like other services it does NOT stop at Aix-en-Provence TGV but it overtakes a stopping train.

Unlike other services the train in front of you is not going slower than line speed, so until a few KMs out of Aix-en-Provence you simply go at line speed with no restrictions (300-320km/h).

As you near Aix-en-Provence TVM will start to give you flashing 300 and even 270 km/h indications because the train in front of you is slowing down to stop at Aix-en-Provence. As soon as that trains clears the line you will be able to speed up again until you have to start braking for the 160 km/h tunnel after you overtook the stopped train.

At the end you can see the same train arriving just 1 minute after you in Marseille. I'll try to see if I can find the overtaken train on the timetable. I would guess it's the 12:46 "TGV 5332 Marseille St.Charles"

Me overtaking the train in Aix-en-Provence
    Screenshot_20210126-161156_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210126-161150_Gallery.jpg

The overtaken train arriving in Marseille after me
    Screenshot_20210126-161201_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210126-161206_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Nice Ouigo paint job!

• Like Like x 2
  29. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  30. osiegmund9

osiegmund9 Well-Known Member

1G69 on ECW Class 377. From Eastbourne to Brighton.

Spoiler:
    Without stopping from Eastbourne to Lewes and also with no stopping to Brighton.
    Have fun

31. JustWentSouth

79 mph and Parallel Running Chaos on SPG

You start by getting to Sand Patch. You can either take Q353 from Cumberland at 08:33 or spawn at Sand Patch on foot. If you take Q353, don’t get too far behind schedule; you are due at 9:36 and need to be at the Sand Patch stop just beyond the tunnel before 9:53. By the time you get the DPUs set up and realize you can’t accelerate like AI, speed limits may need to get sacrificed – channel your inner Sam.

You can also spawn on foot at Sand Patch at 09:30, but this approach is a bit tricky because you need to board a slow moving train. You might want to program one of your mouse buttons to E. It will make climbing up the steps while waking beside the loco easier.

Once you spawn, admire the bench behind you for a brief moment and then walk down the hill. Cross two tracks and head west (left). Walk (run) until you see the westbound whistle post for the next crossing and wait there. It will take a good 3-4 minutes to get there at a run. Here is a screenshot of your waiting point:

SPG1.jpg

Q353 will approach around 9:36. Board the lead loco while it is still moving, quickly get into the cab, and take over the service. You need to take over before the train comes to a stop and cuts off the helpers. If the next task changes to “Drive to Salisbury”, you are too late. Once you have taken over and the helpers are still attached, walk back to the rear loco and sit in the engineer's seat. It will tell you that you are taking over service Q353 - that's fine. Now you wait..

If you reached Sand Patch by driving Q353, stop at Sand Patch, walk back to the rear loco, sit in the engineer's seat, and wait.

At 9:54, the eastbound signal just down the track from you will turn green for the Q008 service:

SPG2.jpg

Stay in your seat and use the 8 camera to uncouple from the train. You will get a “Wait” instruction. Shortly after that, you need to stand up and then sit down to begin service X799. When your destination reads Cumberland Classification Yard, you are good.

Set up your locos and depart as Q008 comes into view around 9:56.

This a very enjoyable run and worth the set up!

Spoiler: time your departure correctly and you will enjoy some parallel running in the tunnel. Don’t get too caught up train watching or you will SPAD after the tunnel. The first red after the tunnel can be bypassed with the dispatcher, the second red will hold you until Q008 is a block ahead.

Once clear, you get to chase Q008 down the hill with the advantage that you can go up to the passenger speed limit which reaches 79mph in spots. Open it up and have fun! ... But, watch out for adverse signals.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  32. JustWentSouth

What a fantastic run! This was my first real experience with freight on Peninsula Corridor and I really enjoyed the GP 38-2 - if only the horn had a little more reverb. The speed signaling system on PC is very interesting and there aren't many aspects I didn't see on this run. Thanks!

I enjoyed this as well and had forgotten how much fun the Baby Bullet is to drive. Great horn; and the acceleration and braking physics make accurate stops, staying on time, and obeying signals a challenge. Thanks for reintroducing me to Peninsula Corridor.

33. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I discovered on GWE that the runs with the Class 166 from Paddington to Greenford are very enjoyable. They are rather short unfortunately, but nonetheless very nice. Especially 2G20 deserves a shout-out!

Spoiler: There is another 166 leaving exactly a second before you, and it will be in front of you for the whole run, so there are some non-green signals as you chase behind. 2G20 is even more special, since that train in front of you has to wait for an arriving train, and then you race out of Paddington together with a Class 43 HST, which you will eventually leave behind but it will overtake at Acton.

• Like Like x 2
  34. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

Peninsula Corridor
    1. Select train 278 17:57 from SF
    2. Leave the train and after 2-3 minutes give up control, you should be able to watch train 269 arriving and then train 278 leaving after that.
    3. Head over to train 380 (it's furthest to the left as you look Northwards back at the station building)
    4. This service begins at 18.15 which by the time you have got over there and set your train up properly isn't that long to wait
    5. Enjoy the run to San Jose

I particularly enjoy running without the HUD, I've made some notes on station and speed limit positions that may help you and can be found here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/peninsula-corridor-no-hud.34575/

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

On SEHS, with the 395, service 1F30 St Pancras to faversham leaving st pancras at 12:25 is fantastic, plenty of adverse signals on the 'traditional' section of the line.

To be fair, most of the services I've done on SEHS have had adverse signals, and not just because of the level crossings, but this has definitely been the best by far.

I have to say I love how busy the route is :D

• Like Like x 7
  36. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I love it as well, it's a shame that on the busier services getting a gold medal becomes really really difficult.

I've also seen some overtaking in the 4 track section

• Like Like x 2
  37. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

That's true, but I'm not that fussed about the medals anyway. I'd gladly give up a gold medal to have a more enjoyable run :D

• Like Like x 2
  38. JustWentSouth

It was quite a challenge to run this without the HUD and your guide sheets were excellent. I held 278 for a few minutes more before heading over to 380 and didn't release it until 18:12. This gave me some adverse signals to add to the challenge. Great run - thanks!

39. osiegmund9

osiegmund9 Well-Known Member

1F08 on SEHS, 375 in front of you from Gravesend, a lot of yellow and reds.

• Like Like x 4
  40. taybarker20

taybarker20 Active Member

I’m gutted that there isn’t no splitting and coupling on SEHS in service mode

• Like Like x 1
  41. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I'm happy that I finally can contribute something to this fantastic thread as well :D:

Service 1F45 on SEHS. Class 395 Faversham to St. Pancras.

A couple of yellow and reds on the way to Rochester, an unexpected AI train and I was able to keep the timetable! I'd say that was a good one :cool:

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

1F51 on SEHS Fav to St Panc, v enjoyable if you like adverse signals, overtaking a service, being overtaken by a service and even a hold up on the way into St Pan. Really loving this route, v busy, lots of speed changes, even better when driving without the HUD, a real workout! Great looking route on a big TV as well.

• Like Like x 11
  43. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I actually played this one shortly after release and can vouch for it as well. Aside from all of the above, if you play it in Autumn / Winter there is a nice transition from dusk to pitch darkness by the end of it as it starts from Faversham at 1630

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. George1862

George1862 Active Member

Oh wow i wish i found this thread sooner

• Like Like x 3
  45. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Thank you! I did this on the first day and was amazed at how tricky it was but then forgot which one it was!

46. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Did you manage to overtake the 375 at Newington? No matter how fast I drive, I don't manage to overtake it. When I drive the 375, the Javelin barely makes it to overtake me, but only if I leave spot on time, so this is kind of strange and I am not sure which one is intended :)

47. solicitr

AI passenger trains don't necessarily obey speed limits; they run as fast as needed to keep to the (unnaturally shortened) schedule.

48. solicitr

OK, discovered a good one

Rhein-Sieg Nord
    DB 80302,
    medium break bulk
    BR 182.2 (might be possible to sub 143 or 155)

Starts at 0700 at Letmathe. Delays and slowdowns (or stops) galore as the passenger traffic ahead riles the signaling system. Most of this route is 3-aspect, not 4, so they come up on you fast. Have your PZB fingers warmed up!

• Like Like x 3
  49. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

It was mentioned quite a lot that this thread should be made sticky by the mods I think ...
    DTG Protagonist

50. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

no offense but DTG don't want them to be tagged i think

• Helpful Helpful x 1