Is There Any Way To Quickly Transplant The Existing Lines Of The Ts Series To The Tsw World?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 59321747, Jan 28, 2021.

1. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

• I accidentally saw a lot of German routes that have been released in STEAM. Of course, I was referring to another DTG game (TS). Can these released games be quickly ported to the TSW world?
    • Although I know that DTG has explained the reason before, the game engines of TS and TSW are completely different and cannot be ported quickly. Hope that DTG can find any good way to achieve compatible transplantation between them.
    • The production of the TSW route is very slow, and the release of the new route requires a long wait of at least two months.

2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Short answer is No. Additionally, many think the release of new routes in TSW is too rushed and feel more time should be devoted to route development seeing the reaction to the last preview streams. If you are in the hobby for the long run which many of us are - best to learn a bit of patience - it will come in due time. TS-Classic has been around for over a decade so has had ample time to build up its large collection. Third party developers are just starting to support TSW so as they get up to speed , more content will be forth coming

• Like Like x 4
  3. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

It would take far more engineering effort to not only develop a tool to allow for the porting of lines translate them into usable information the new engine can understand ect ect . The end results would without a doubt be poor and require tone of effort to bring up to any usable standard at that point your would have spent far more time than just rebuilding it from scratch.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

As ASRGT says, it would probably be faster for DTG to remake the routes from scratch than to convert them to TSW routes.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't know that many medium sized studios producing at least 50 square miles of route, scenery, assets and physics defined player controllable objects probably containing over a million placed objects within that frame who use custom tools based on an engine written by others to achieve something the engine was never designed for.
    In other words DTG produce things probably about as quickly as they SHOULD produce them, even if their end of production quality might need tweaking.

• Like Like x 8
  6. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Agree.
    Think we’ve come to expect more than the game can reasonably deliver for a relative cheap price.
    Every release sees greater demands for fidelity, when only a very few will have knowledge of the original route.
    Sadly their discontent spreads the awareness to the discomfort of the rest of us.

At least the emotion expressed on these forums adds a little piquancy to the base game :)

• Like Like x 5
  7. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

If there were an easy way to do it, we'd have done it. Sadly, this is not the case.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

also the detail is so much better in tsw 2

9. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

controversial comment Alex :D I wouldnt agree with that, I agree with the principle, but they havent shown that fully in evidence haha.

the *potential* detail is better....I think HS1 says otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, DTG recently started using a tool that forms the basic route using Google Maps images or similar. i.e. it was easier to make a tool that would generate a basic route based on reality, rather than on what exists in TS1.

11. 59321747

But seeing that there are many German routes in TS can’t simply come to TSW, I feel very unhappy.

12. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

On some things, sometimes, in some cases. Yes. Don't sell all TS routes and trains short. TSW rails and trains may be shinier, but the scenery itself isn't necessarily any better looking depending on the route and the add-ons being used for TS.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mattdsoares

Why can't they? Munich-Augsburg was also a TS1 route. I understand it's not German, but Rivet Games is making their Arosa line for TSW. Southeast High Speed, Marsaille to Avignon, Western Main Line, Isle of Wight, Peninsula Corridor, and West Somerset were all featured routes in TS. If the route was popular in TS and DTG thinks it would sell well in TSW, they seem more than willing to re-make it. In fact, 6 of the 18 routes currently available, a full 1/3, were also routes in TS.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I am glad that TSW 2 have third party developers to make content so that consumers don’t have to rely only on DTG. I’m not a PC gamer but sure glad that a train simulator is available on console. I honestly haven’t dig deeper into the third party developers as I never heard of them before until early last year. Well one dev to be exact, Rivet Games. I first heard about them when they released DB BR 204. Now in recent months after TSW 2 released, I am starting to heard new ones such as TSG and Skyhook Games. More third party developers means more content for everyone. Looking over at TS 20XX Steam page, there’s so many third party developers, which explains why there’s tons of DLC routes and locos over the years. I don’t want a route or loco feel incomplete and I can wait patiently. I personally haven’t brought any content from Rivet Games for TSW 2 yet.

15. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I mean recently ts routes are being re made in tsw2- such as iow, arosa and sehs

16. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I think 59321747 was saying he was sad that routes in TS1 couldn't magically come to TSW2. A route being in TS1 doesn't stop it coming to TSW2 obviously. But there isn't a magic button that DTG can press to convert the route (or that better still, the user could press to convert routes as they wished).

The reason for the lack of the magic button isn't because DTG can't be bothered, but because presumably there isn't enough information contained in the TS1 route to convert it.

And, imagine if you owned DTG. Imagine if you could convert all your existing content with a few mouse clicks. Imagine how happy it would make the users. Imagine how much content you could sell at 20 quid a time. If they could do it, and come up with something comparable to the existing TSW2 routes then they'd have done it.

17. ARuscoe

More likely that the assets simply don't exist. How do you convert a station, a tree, a bin, a passenger between the two? People want things to be realistic so it isn't feasable to expect a click button transfer from one to the other

18. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

How do you convert a station and presumably houses and buildings commercial or domestic? Well next time you run TSW have a closer look at the very suspiciously looking same models that are in TS classic.

19. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

The original post talks about transplanting the routes as if you simply need to convert the data. For TSW2 you need a complete rebuilding of the route, though you can re-use the research done.

20. ARuscoe

Looking at the pictures in the recent SEHS posts you can clearly see that they're not the same assets

TSx - Gillingham crossing
    upload_2021-1-30_13-23-24.png

TSW2 - Gillingham crossing
    [​IMG]
    Crossing Lights, gates, bridge, 15mph speed sign... all different

TSx Gillingham Station
    upload_2021-1-30_13-25-49.png

TSW2 Gillingham station
    [​IMG]
    Benches, platform edges, windows, canopy, posters, platform signs... All different

Don't think I need go on

• Like Like x 4
  21. martschuffing

Check the buildings in other routes pal, English high rises in the center of Munich! straight out of Oxford Paddington in TS the oxford offices in RRO different colour but the same model German houses that aren't German houses in RSN from numerous routes in TS commercial buildings etc need I go on.
    You just seem to have cherry picked the SEH and not other routes but I'm sure you'd find remodeled Kuju assets in the new route.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  22. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

martschuffing The thread was about reusing TS1 assets (and routes) in TSW2 though I think. Your example isn't that.

edit: Okay, I see you're saying that it is straight out of TS1. I think you're probably wrong even if they look similar. As I understand it, assets aren't transferable between the 2 simulators and so haven't been copied across.
    afaik.

23. martschuffing

The point is that you may not be able to port a route but buildings have been copied from TS.

24. ARuscoe

Post examples, I picked the SEHS as it's a direct comparrison.

If you can post "high rises in the center of Munich" that are direct copies of those in TSx I'll accept your point, if they're not like German buildings that's a different point.

25. martschuffing

Look for yourself.

26. ARuscoe

Erm, this is your statement. If you can't back it up, it's invalid

27. martschuffing

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2378723032 Munich
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2378722357 GWM
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2378743314 RRO
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2378743584 RRO
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2378744228 GWM
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2378744012 GWM
    Sure they changed the colour as that would have been too obvious that they've transposed 10 year old Kuju assets into their spangly new sim. It may not bother folk, really don't care, but it annoys the hell outta me, just seems incredibly lazy.
    I backed it up.
    Need I go on?

28. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is that you've found assets in 2 different games that look similar to each other, so they must have been physically copied? Did you look at any other games? Maybe you can find something in other games that DTG must have copied as well, based on a screenprint?

29. martschuffing

The point isn't that they have been physically copied or transferred (maybe) but they have copied them none the less as you can see.
    It is obvious that a whole route can't be copied and pasted as the OP is asking, but you obviously can copy 10 year old assets and use them in TSW.
    Is that necessarily a bad thing? No it isn't, but in this case re my examples doing so isn't always a good idea imo.
    I also believe that the assets are more than similar.

30. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

As you say the source is Kuju so it isn't copying from TS1 to TSW but using the same 3rd party assets in different games. You have no examples of handmade DTG assets from TS1 in TSW? These provide colour to routes, i wouldn't expect them to make every single last building from scratch.

• Like Like x 1
  31. martschuffing

One of the things that put me off buying JT's routes was the overuse of Kuju assets, thankfully that has changed, as I said it irks me no end but we're all different, also you say there no examples, did I mean that or does copying mean different things to different people?

32. ARuscoe

Well actually...
    Yes those buildings are blocky, not very well designed and probably based on a template that's been around and used in both, the textures look much higher quality than most in TSx, so the shape "may have been copied" but they've likely been built (shoddily) from scratch

33. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are a lot of Kuju/TS assets in TSW, and in some cases it is very noticeable and ugly.
    DTG IS Kuju. The Kuju team that made Rail Simulator started their own company (RSDL, then RSC, then DTG) and bought the rights to Rail Simulator.

• Like Like x 1
  34. 59321747

I am a little confused, Microsoft has a high degree of city production and reality simulation in flight simulation. Does DTG highly simulate the scenery and buildings on both sides of the railway?

35. mattdsoares

If DTG wanted to they could certainly reuse some assets from TS if they have the source 3d file in a format that they can convert or that will natively worked in UE4. That's not a technical limitation in the slightest. Did they? Sure, maybe they took some old models, cleaned them up and slapped on fresh textures to save time. This is all standard in the industry. Even AAA big budget games reskin and reuse 3d assets all the time.

None of that is the point. The point isn't whether or not TS assets can be reused in TSW if wanted. Of course they can given the caveat I already mentioned. The point is whether DTG can just port over an entire route, which is a whole different story.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you would even WANT to port a TS route directly over to TSW. Just play it in TS if you like it. It's not magically going to no longer have low-res muddy textures or gain extra polygons simply by being ported to TSW. And that's exactly why you don't see a lot of the example of the office building or block of flats shown by another user. Still need to re-skin it with better textures. Still need to add some extra detail. Usually not going to be worth it for a building of that shape that can be thrown together in blender in less than 5 minutes.

36. ARuscoe

Microsoft has access to MSN mapping technology including US military GPS and mapping assets... a small company based in Chatham doesn't have the same capabilites.
    DTG have to create and place most assets manually, hence it taking so long to produce routes

• Like Like x 2