"end Of Represented Area"

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by doublefine7, Jan 28, 2021.

1. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Hello dear community and developers.

Today I played a scenario on NTP and I was like half way into the scenario and thought: "Lets take a nice picture". So I changed into the Free Fly Cam (keyboard 8) and positioned myself right next to the main track and suddenly I got this message: "End of represented area" and the session got killed and I lost progress and motivation to replay that scenario. Thank you.

Now I am asking myself why DTG still has this featured in the game instead of simply setting an invisible alpha wall. This is such a downer and motivation-killer that I really want to question this game design decision. I know that on some points we are not supposed to go much far out of the map but why not just setting an alpha wall there? I mean: In the last days and weeks I heard a lot of "If this is gamebreaking, we are going to fix it as fast as we can" but why do we have this?

• Like Like x 22
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I agree it's time to remove that message you have reached the "End of represented area" and just build a invisible wall that stops from walking any further. This way you know that you reached the furthest point that you can walk.

• Like Like x 8
  3. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Problem is that invisible wall is not gonna stop the train, so if you are inside the train then you will go thru the invisible wall and than you will be in part where devs dont want you to be as scenery is not finish there.

4. doublefine7

Then block access to trains going through an invisible wall. "if train takes route xyz assigned to a i-wall, then block access to train"

5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

True when on a train a invisible wall will not stop a train, but it will aid you when on foot and walking around the route.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

That's one of the most stupid things that DTG made, ever.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

This message is fine if you are sitting in a train that actually goes into a portal, but with the free camera? I had the same on GWR and was completely surprised by it, have never had that before, wasn't even too far off the tracks, and that it ends the whole run like you crossed a red signal :(

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Were you not in a train that was driving off the edge of the map? If not and it was just the free camera moving off the map then agreed it should just force you back to the default camera (keyboard 1), in the same way as how you can't view outside the train in a tunnel.

9. doublefine7

I placed the free cam right next to a main line signal, a signal which is right next to the track you are going with your train.

• Like Like x 1
  10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Get a grip guys.
    Ballast colour and bloom are far more important.

Mind you, why bother with a level crossing in SEHS if no cars use the road?

• Like Like x 2
  11. doublefine7

I really hope its sarcasm because I dont want to quote Gordon Ramsay here :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think it shouldn't end the game - if you're in a train it should just dump you at the nearest station or depot or whatever with a message saying you left the area. With the camera it really just needs an invisible wall. I experienced the same on GWE (although I was trying to navigate the camera up the tube tunnels at paddington :D )

• Like Like x 1
  13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I think they should get rid of that feature along with the feature of if you run a red signal, your game is over because in reality, the emergency brakes on the trains would apply. If they don't want people going to the edge of the map in free camera mode, just put an invisible wall. I had this issue happen to me when trying to get a screenshot of the 43 in gwe when I was passing Westbourne Park. I had the camera on the Westbourne Park London Underground platforms and my game ended. DTG, get rid of that silly feature. It's not even in ts2021 for crying out loud

• Like Like x 3
  14. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I might be in the minority here, but I think I prefer having a fade-to-black message saying that I've went out of bounds rather than having invisible walls. These aren't particularly well liked when it comes to map design either, since an invisible wall just feels unusual and more restrictive than it's counterparts.

Another solution could be to have an extended buffer area where it'll display a warning message before you go out of bounds. This way the player won't have to be kicked out unexpectedly and will know to not proceed any further.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

That's how a good implementation of the current solution would have been.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

a timer would be a solution
    horizon zero dawn has such thing

• Like Like x 2