PlayStation Sudden Brakes- Gwe Class 43

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Stephen Crofts, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

GWE on TSW2, in the class 43.
    I was doing the scenario Christmas closures, entered the reverse end cab to start the return journey when the brakes suddenly applied full on without me touching the brake control. The brake pressure came off slowly after about 5 minutes, but the issue kept repeating.

I thought I had set a control by accident in the 1st cab or something. I returned to the 1st cab to see if any setting was forgotten, imagine my surprise then when the cab interior had changed from a no.1 cab end to another no.2 cab end (without the fuse box). I eventually had to give up the scenario as a lost cause.

I thought it was just me setting something iffy, but the same thing occurred on a normal service just as I approached Reading, it forced me to stop 150 yards short of the stopping point, suddenly and without warning. Again, the brake lever was set to running. Picture attached. AWS and DSD were on, but no warning sound was played by either of these and had been functioning well for the rest of the run.

Anyone else had this issue? Train Sim World 2_20201105234542.jpg

2. McSporran

McSporran New Member

Ensure that you isolate DSD and AWS before you leave the cab.

3. LdjSdh

LdjSdh New Member

Same issue for me on PC, change cabs, start up and move off, then brake demand in the other cab stops the unit.
    Checked and DSD and AWS set to isolate.

Any idea's??

4. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Is this platform 9 at Reading? This is a known issue for years and DTG have not been bothered to fix it. The grids halfway up platform 9 will give you a brake demand no matter what speed or what traction you’re on. The only thing you can do is isolate AWS/TWPS as you go past the last signal that takes you in Reading. Or as you’re entering Reading platform, if you press the “Train Stop Override” Button on the TPWS panel, it will prevent a brake demand for 20 seconds (or 60 seconds on a freight train- Class 66).

5. LdjSdh

LdjSdh New Member

Thx for the reply Olaf,

It's on the Christmas Closures scenario, I make it into Acton Yard, shutdown, swap cab then heading back into Ealing Broadway I get Brake Demand from the other cab, a couple of hundred yards after moving. Tried with DSD and AWS in Isolate in both cabs, pressed Stop Override, still no joy, brake demand eventually goes away then it comes back, done this 3 times before I made it halfway into Ealing Broadway and it stopped again.

6. Olaf the Snowman

It’s very hard to say what the problem is. You need to isolate DSD and AWS/TPWS in the rear cab (which you say you’ve done). When you say shutdown, what do you mean by that? Are you shutting the engine down and starting them up again in the other cab? Or do you mean you’re shutting down the desk (I.e. Taking out master key). Although, this shouldn’t have any effect on whether you get a brake demand or not.
    I don’t know if you’re able to screen record, it might be easier to see the problem.

7. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

I run into this on PC, I had all my safety systems switched on when I arrived into London Paddington on service mode I then shutdown that cab ready to depart for old oak common but left the safety systems on in that cab. I then switched ends set up that cab and activated the safety systems cancelled the AWS alarm and everything was working fine but then about a minuite in when the DSD alarm went off I cancelled that and it was fine for a few seconds but then the break pressure gauge dropped and the breaks were on full 5 minuites later the break pressure slowly started rising and the breaks released and I started moving again but not long after that the train was brought to a stop again. I reset everything in that cab restarted the engine and it kept happening.

Figuring it may have been a bug I tried a different service and re did everything I did in the preveious service and to my suprise the breaks came on and the same happened. I tried one last thing and switched the safety systems off in the other cab and returned to my cab and everything worked fine no problems.

I came to the conclusion that for some reason when you change ends and shutdown the cab, safety systems remain operational in that cab until you isolate them at the isolation switches. Not sure if this is a bug or the same issue you may be facing yourself?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. zsolt_93

zsolt_93 Member

I had the same issues with the same scenario. Figured it had to do something with the TPWS system/DSD in the other cab. It stopped me like 3 times before I finally gave up, it might have gotten in a state where even disabling them in the second cab did not really have an effect. Playing it again the "right" way and isolating the DSD and AWS before changing ends I was able to complete it on first try.
    Its definitely the safety systems, I just don't know if that is how it works in real life as well, it would make sense for it to be like that

• Like Like x 1
  9. Olaf the Snowman

Yes, in TSW you need to isolate safety systems in the rear/non-driving cab(s). I think it’s the same if you leave DRA depressed in the rear cab, you won’t be able to get any power. This is of course not at all in real life. You would never touch safety systems but for some reason, safety systems in non-driving cabs remains active in TSW. But, the original poster says he has isolated safety systems in both cabs so I don’t know what else could be the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LdjSdh

LdjSdh New Member

Thanks for all the replies, just tried it again and success!! :cool:
    Isolate TPS and DRA before standing up and leaving cab, then enable them the other end and away we go.....
    Ill put this one down to error between keyboard and chair :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Olaf the Snowman

Good to hear. Still be aware if you’re going onto platform 9 at Reading, you’ll get a TPWS brake demand halfway up the platform. I’m not sure if that’s a console only issue or if that happens in PC too.

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

PC as well

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s the Christmas closures scenario. Even if the first cab is fully and properly shut down there’ll be half a dozen brake demands before you’re back in the station. Only way I could complete this scenario was to just have safety systems switched off from the start.

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

OK, this works if and only if you do it in the following order:

Cab 1:
    • disable DSD and TPWS
    • turn off Master Key
    Change cabs
    Cab 2:
    • turn on Master Key
    • enable safety devices
    Apparently the game only registers DSD/TPWS activation/inactivation when one and only one cab is up and running. This may be related to the 43 not having a cab changeover lever like the 45 and 47 do.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Olaf the Snowman

As far as I know, this problem seems to happen on most traction including Class 166, Class 377, Class 66, etc... DSD/AWS/TWPS needs to be isolated in all non-driving cabs (I.e. rear but also intermediate cabs if in a multiple formation). I’ve just checked the DRA, you may have this set (as you should) in all non-driving cabs and this won’t prevent you from getting power in the driving cab. This is the only safety system which appears to function correctly.