Cheaper Dlc’s

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Coastway trainspotter, Jan 18, 2021.

?
  1. I am happy with the standard price for a route (£24.99)

55 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. I think £20.00 would be a better price for a route

28 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Other ( comment below )

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

This is not a complaint , but just a general question. Who thinks tsw2 dlc routes could be just 5 quid cheaper ? There are some routes that are well worth £24.99 , but some that maybe I would pay £20.00 for . Just want to know what you all think . I don’t want dtg to lose any profit but I think maybe £5 less would be better for a route

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Driconian

Driconian Member

Hate to point out the obvious but sales happen quite regularly I don't think I have ever bought a DTG product at full price.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

PlayStation sales happen alot too, you get £10 routes regularly.

• Like Like x 4
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Lower prices result in lower production budgets. Let’s assume half of the production cost goes into creating the route. The trains included and the gameplay (scenarios and services) accounts for the other half of the production cost. The trains and gameplay side can’t be reduced, so the only way to make routes at a lower cost is to make shorter routes. A 20% reduction in price could then result in a 40% shorter route. Nobody wants that in order to save a fiver. A lot more people would actually be prepared to pay an extra fiver for longer routes.

• Like Like x 13
  5. Coastway trainspotter

True . It sometimes does depend on the length of the route how much it should cost

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

I'm quite honestly happy as is atm. The IoW deserved a bit of a price cut, but the rest are fine at £25.It helps to support them with the money to update old routes, and make new ones. And as already mentioned, sales happen quite regularly, so you could wait for those if there are some that are too pricey for you.

• Like Like x 2
  7. elvescast

elvescast Active Member

Generally found process to be fair for nost routes/locos that's are in the game

Only 2 stand out as being ones believe should be worth different.

For example something like Nothern trans Pennine, it's about 40plus miles with 2 units/locos so is a good deal

Where as isle of wight with 5miles of track and 1 old underground train is relatively expensive

• Like Like x 3
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It's worth pointing out that:
    1. DTG's prices for dlc (TS and TSW) haven't changed/increased for as long as I can remember.
    2.As mentioned, lower prices would impact the production budget. As DTG Protagonist once pointed out, no-one at the company is driving a Ferrari.
    3. At least on the Steam platform, there are frequent sales. I almost never pay full price.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. thatleedsguy#8590

thatleedsguy#8590 Active Member

As mentioned, if they were cheaper, we'd probably see a major reduction in quality or content. I think the full price is fine if it means I'm getting the most out of every individual DLC.

There's also this: If you think it's worth it, then buy it. In my opinion, I don't think the Isle Of Wight DLC is worth full price. I'd buy it at a sale price, but in my view, I don't think there's enough there for me to spend that much, no disrespect to any that did pay full price or anyone who worked on it.

So, stands to reason, if you think the DLC isn't worth your money, wait for a sale or don't buy it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. stephen220378

stephen220378 Active Member

The full price seems steep, however DTG are not a big company with big budgets and don't have a huge publisher throwing money into their games.

I'm guessing the amount of sales in a niche genre like train simulators isn't that many, especially with DLC where every pack won't be bought by every owner of the base game, for example I have absolutely zero interest in the American content in the game so wouldn't buy any of that DLC.

The price will be based on making a certain profit from an estimated sales figure, some will make more money some will make less but having a set price across all DLC routes will balance it out in the long run. If the game sells millions of copies then there would be a case to complain about but I doubt it gets anywhere near that.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

I find $25 for IOW insane but I would pay 20 or 18

• Like Like x 1
  12. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I would say if a route is well made, has divert rolling stock and offers variation in gameplay, it is well worth the full price.

For example, I find HMA to be one of the best routes, it is long, visually quite appealing and offers variation in gameplay with not only having the ice, but an s Bahn service as well. Additional layers add (will add) even more variety.

Then on the other side I was not ready to pay full price for LGV, as in my eyes it lacked in at least to of my points above. There is one train, one type of service. Visually I only like the half towards Marseille, the other half to the north looked very bland to me. So I will wait until it gets in a nice sale where the train and the functioning alone will be reason enough to buy.

So this is obviously subjective but at least what you can so far be sure of, is that the routes will all cost the same and don't get some wobbly or questionable increases occasionally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

If dtg games actually did more testing to iron out as many bugs as possible,then there dlc cost wouldn't be a big problem but as long as they release dlc that may or may not work as it should then it will always seem to be overpriced.

Note:Just look at cyberpunk 2077 there getting raked over the coals for there defective game.The time of game publishers releasing broken product(just to fix it later)to the market is reaching the point where consumer are getting tired of it.Maybe it will be the wake up call to all game publishers that they need to change there business models for the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Some TS routes like the Just Trains Metropolitan Line is around £40

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This pricing is reasonable. I do not vote for lower prices, I even may want to pay a bit more for better quality (=less bugs).If you need it cheaper, just have some patience.

• Like Like x 3
  16. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

As a consultant, I would tell my clients if they questioned my proposals over price. I stated you have some choices:

1) have it done correctly
    2) Have it done on time
    3) have it at a low price

Choose 2 out of the 3 options. .

• Like Like x 1
  17. SHINO BAZ

If dtg can't get your number 1 option right then being done on time at any price doesnt mean much.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mclitke

The implication was that when you want to get it done correctly you are either missing the timeframe that was set for you or you won't be able to offer it at your target price due to extended/unplanned extra efforts. It not about how much anything of that means but to check what is reasonable and achievable, and to have a compromise that both sides can agree on.

19. simo#8649

simo#8649 New Member

I’m happy to pay £24.99 if they had the entire route but I bought the GWR route and can only get as far as Reading, I am also interested in the SouthWest addon but not paying the asking price if I can only drive 15-20 miles from say Exeter. It’s like buying a fishing game with only Roach in every lake or a flight Sim with only bi-planes and 1 jumbo.

20. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Firstly, expecting to pay £25 quid and get the whole 300+ mile route to Penzance is just silly, ngl. And with the detail we see in TSW, paying that for just the route to Bristol would also be asking too much. And also, I use flight sims, and yeah, you pretty much get a few planes and a jumbo. And usually they are all pretty bad, so you end up having to buy proper planes for about £50 on average. So tbh, I think the offering in TSW is fine at £25. If you want to refer back to flight sim, some airports cost more than that. But in TSW, at £25, you are getting a route, along with 1, maybe more trains. Also, I am not sure what you mean when you say SW addon, because Exeter isn't available on any route for TSW2, and isn't part of any of the planned routes on the roadmap either.

• Like Like x 4
  21. stephen220378

stephen220378 Active Member

Although a well funded company would be able to do all three without a problem.

22. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

£25 seems reasonable enough when you think of how much potential playing time you're going to get from a pack. There's a good hundred or so hours can be put into each one if you were to do all the timetable and scenario runs in them, plus the scenario planner and livery designer. Some games are a lot more than that, and possibly wouldn't last you that long. In terms of time for money then it can be a decent return on your investment.

• Like Like x 1
  23. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Good for 25 mi+ Routes, but iow route is 20 pound, which is extortion mate for what u get. Dtg still haven’t fixed things for it and Rivvet simply haven’t put as much effort as stated

24. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

I think the route prices should be different than PC to console. Because your getting different experiences even though it's the same route. And regarding sales. It's far less on consoles. So for pc you get the best experience at the cheapest price.

DLC train's could cost £9.99 for all consoles
    Routes £18.99 for console
    Routes £24.99 for PC
    Locos 11.99 for PC
    Goes on sale very frequent on steam

25. mclitke

Oh yes let's create more disparity, no one will get angry with that.
    Besides since 2/3 of the players are on console they would basically say "How about we make less money?"

• Like Like x 5
  26. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

good idea, you tend to get more layers on pc as well as more, bigger sales on steam.

27. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

How often they have a sale and how much they can discount is out of their hands. Its ostensibly dictated to them by the owners of the platform they have their products on. I'm sure if they could offer the same kind of reductions on XBox that they do on Playstation and PC then they would, but it's going to be Microsoft stopping them from doing this, not a decision by Dovetail themselves.

28. GA Railfan17

GA Railfan17 Active Member

Not on Xbox they don't.

29. GA Railfan17

Maybe with the pandemic and people being furloughed and earning less money they should think about lowering price of DLC so that people who have struggled this year can still buy them and enjoy them.

30. mclitke

Great idea! So you can have some short term entertainment at a lower price and DTG will just cut the number of their employees, or reduce their salary as well. How do you all come up with this logic? How are they able to reduce prices if as you say people earn already less money? Don't you think that applies to DTG employees as well, who need to feed their families?

• Like Like x 4
  31. d.dickson2020

d.dickson2020 Member

i totally agree like there are some younger teens who play this like myself and i/we always just cant afford 24.99 so i would love to see either the prices dropped or sales more often

32. GA Railfan17

I am a 13 year old and lots of the time I can't be asked to pay that full price. There would be a benefit for everyone in lowering the prices, DTG sell more and people who don't necessarily have a lot of money can still enjoy routes and locos.

33. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

After reading through this thread, I think there are people who underestimate what it actually takes to develop a simulator.

For the amount of content you usually get in a £25 pack, I think it is well worth it, obviously your mileage will vary on this.

When (if) TSW reaches a point where we get more extensive routes and larger or more enhanced DLC I think we may see a new pricing for those bigger packs, just as we see a different pricing for lesser packs such as WSR & IOW.

Personally I think it’s impressive that DTG have kept their pricing consistent, even throughout TSXX, and if anything, find the sentiment that DLC’s should be cheaper abit rude.

If you don’t think the DLC is worth it, or can’t afford it, wait for a sale, or don’t buy it.

You don’t have to get them all.

• Like Like x 5
  34. mclitke

Yep that is also the logic of a 13 year old. Earn some extra cash after school if you don't have enough money. You just don't go around asking for price reductions simply because "you can't be asked to pay the full price". Wait for a sale.

• Like Like x 3
  35. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I have no issue with the current cost of TSW DLC as long as the quality is there.

However, I do wonder if lower prices will allow DTG to increase the quantity sold and therefore increase profit that way...

36. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think the sales solve that issue, if you take everyone that wants a route, most will probably buy it straight up, with the remainder picking it up on sale, I don't think they'd get much mileage out of trying to market to people who don't want the route in the first place.

On another note, anyone on PlayStation can buy wallet top ups from shopto.net, they are always on sale for around 10% off, so when DTG do their 10% discount launch deal, you can potentially save £5 off a route.

Specifically in the case of SEHS, the 465 is likely to release very close to the route itself, so this would mean a total cost of £36.50, a £35 top up on ShopTo is £30.85, so if DTG were to do 10% off SEHS, it would bring the total cost down to about £29 (roughly), so the 465 would end up at around £4/5.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  37. Coastway trainspotter

Yea I’m 13 as well and i get £20 a month so it’s annoying when I can’t get a route at launch, but at least I’ve got enough for SEHS at the moment :)

38. Coastway trainspotter

But sales don’t happen on a monthly basis so it’s nice to be able to get something when it’s reduced and we have the opportunity

• Like Like x 1
  39. GA Railfan17

Yes saltychipz#3569

40. Coastway trainspotter

Yea I’m on Xbox so it’s really good when there’s a sale and I can get lots of dlc for a cheap price

41. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Exactly, compared to flight simming the value/money for TSW is generally very good, especially for the route DLCs.

Granted trains are simpler than aircrafts, but I would argue our loco add-ons are of a similar quality to the mid-range quality add-ons for flight sims (such as the Aerosoft A320) which are generally €40/60

42. SHINO BAZ

I myself don't have any real problem with the tsw2 dlc cost(my problem with tsw2 dlc is just how broken will each new dlc be)(But a sale alway nice).But seeing how some of you here respond to people who don't have the same cash supply is typical,you treat them like losers because they don't have extra money like some of you do(And you tell them to get a job well if there was one maybe the would).Even if we weren't in this pandemic there be people who don't have the same extra cash to spend,So be carefull how high and mighty you act,because you my find yourself in there shoes.

43. mclitke

You misinterpreted. I don't regard them as losers or "plebs" becaue they have less money. I was in that position too when I was 13 year sold.
    But what I did absolutely not like was the idea of lowering the dlc prices for only their benefit and disregarding the people that could suffer from that.

Argument was, that due to pandemic people have less money and thus dlc should cost less. They probably get pocket money and that is not enough to support getting every dlc at launch (which you don't have to). The idea of pocket money is to learn the value of money and to find your balance of what is worth buying with little you have and what is not, or how much/how long do you need to save said money in order to being able to afford something.
    Then saying that the prices should just be sliced - either because their pocket money is not enough, or maybe because due to the pandemic they get less from their parents- is egoistic and disregards everyone who suffers from the exact problem as that person.
    With the difference, that they would want to buy a dlc at launch which they don't have to for their personal fun and enjoyment.
    The people working at DTG are depending on the money they earn from work. Some are married, some may have kids, some may have old parents in need of help and assistance. Their earnings are what enables them to live their life, pay their bills.
    Yet that person was willing to cut DTG DLC prices which would mean less money for each employee or people getting sacked. Only because of this persons personal enjoyment, which they are not dependant on. Video games are luxury items to a regard that if you don't have the money to spend on it, you are not entitled to them.

I hated the display of ignorance and far sight when writing these sort of claims or propositions, putting an argument of pandemic as a reason which does affect others way more horribly than someone who might not have enough cash left over for video games. Others lost their jobs, had to switch to half time work or had to give up their business, wondering how to feed the mouths of their family and themselves. But who cares, "I want video game dlc cheaper because of pandemic". That got me mad. So sorry Shino Baz if you did not like what you read but sometimes you have to put some peoples views in order with the real world.

• Like Like x 5
  44. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think you took said replies, and twisted them in your head, nothing of the sort has been said.

• Like Like x 4
  45. SHINO BAZ

If dtg isn't making enough money to run there business and pay there employees enough to take care of there needs,then they should just raise dlc cost.All business do what they need to survive and dtg should do the same,and like you stated knowones entitled to something if they can't afford it.I believe many would pay more for good dlc all i want out of it is more fully tested dlc.

• Like Like x 1
  46. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

If the price went up that doesn't
    And on steam you get better
    On xbox for dtg products it's either Christmas or black Friday. But it's
    Well considering on console on Xbox in particularly dtg products hold there value more it's a good idea. More people would buy routes at full price. And wouldn't have to wait for a sale window because on xbox its a lottery.

For example I wanted to get Tees valley line. Since it's release on xbox. It's never been on sale. In fact I waited last year 10 months checking what Microsoft puts on offer and dtg products aren't selected. And when Christmas time comes when the game goes on offer no dlc is on offer. When Microsoft does a dlc on offer it's never that route.
    Now on pc it has been on offer between £11-£13 countless Times.
    Even just gone when they did the streams on steam all the tsw dlc was on offer at great prices.even TSW2 was £12.

I did buy the route at £24.99 because I wasn't going to wait any longer in hopes price would reduce.
    Simulators regardless train sim. Keep there value longer on Xbox. Microsoft doesn't promote as much like normal Triple a games.

47. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

actually because of covid there is literally no way to earn as a teenager

48. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Amazon sells stuff cheap because the majority of stuff you see in your search results are mass made in China, a decent product from a reputable brand would be the same as it costs anywhere else.

It’s an unequivocally bad comparison to making a Train Simulator DLC.

49. aaron1807

aaron1807 Member

It would be nice to have more sales on Xbox, but that's out of DTG hands and is down to Microsoft. I can resonate with the younger players who don't have the money to pay for full price routes, I was once in that situation myself with a lot of things at that age. Although, now I'm older and work full time money isn't a constraint, it'd be nice to have similar sales to those that are on steam, but I can't complain at £25 for a route when I get so much replay value out of them.

50. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Personally I think the price of the DLCs is less of a problem and more the frequency of the sales. I have rarely paid full price for a Train Simulator DLC for a few years now simply because of how often sales are and how cheap things can get - trains for often £1.49 and entire routes for £4.99. TSW has less sales on consoles, and when they do they're still very expensive. Having the prices depreciate over time would work as new routes are often much more advanced than the newer ones, but really the prices themselves are too expensive from the outset. Very few, routes, if any, are worth the full £24.99, especially when routes in TS often go for £14.99 and are longer and have more to do. Having more than one train each time is an upgrade over TS, but we really shouldn't be paying extra for things that should have been included in the first place. Imagine if they'd released SEHS with just a Class 376. Sure, they are run by Southeastern, but not on that route (hello GEML, with your Class 360, which doesn't even run on that route), then charged £11.49 for the 375 and 395.

It doesn't help that TSW DLCs have so little replay value. I have played almost every scenario I own in TSW2020 (I haven't got TSW2) and there's nothing else to do, since the services are just the same thing over and over again, the collectibles are stupid and the trophies are either too hard to get or impossible to get, with DTG (and Rivet Games) refusing to fix them.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1