Route Proposal: The West Side Lumber Company Railway

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Blacknred81, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, with the Clear Creek Narrow Gauge route being made US only due to the BNSF licensing issue, why don't we get a new narrow gauge route for TS20XX?

[​IMG]

I think the West Side Lumber Company could be a good choice of a Narrow Gauge Logging route. The West Side Lumber Company operated out of Tuolumne, California, just east of Jamestown and had connections with the Sierra Railroad. The railroad ran from 1898 to 1962, while the West Side Lumber Co went under in the late 60's after a labor strike burned down the Mill. The lower portion of the route was temporary used as a tourist railroad under the "Westside & Cherry Valley" Railroad, owned by Taco Bell founder Glen Bell, it closed in the 80's due to lack of visitors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Most of the lower part of the route is still somewhat visible. The old yard still exists in some form, while old track can still be seen in town, as well as along the West Side Trail. (Which follows most of the lower part of the route as a rail trail)
    [​IMG]

Engine Shed
    [​IMG]

Engine Shed 1970's
    [​IMG]

Engine Shed 2003
    [​IMG]

Yard, satellite view.
    [​IMG]

Locomotives:
    Another good thing about the West Side Lumber Company, is that a good chunk of their later locomotives, (#7,8,9,10,12,14 &15) still exist, and all used to run or are still running today. All of them are Lima Built 3 Truck Shays.

-#7 (Now at Roaring Camp & Big Trees in Felton Ca)
    As Westside & Cherry Valley Railroad
    [​IMG]

Current Paint at Roaring Camp
    [​IMG]

#8 (Was in service on the Georgetown Loop, now static display in Canon City)
    Current Paint, lettered for the Royal Gorge Route
    [​IMG]

#9 (Was sent to the Georgetown Loop, returned to the Midwest Central Railroad in 2019)
    As seen on the Georgetown Loop Railroad
    [​IMG]

#10 (Reported as the largest Narrow Gauge Shay built, in service with the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad in Fish Camp, CA)
    Original look
    [​IMG]

Current Paint
    [​IMG]

#12 (Was in service at the Georgetown Loop, currently in storage at the Colorado Railroad Museum with #14)
    [​IMG]

#14 (Was in service at the Georgetown Loop, currently in storage at the Colorado Railroad Museum with #12)
    [​IMG]

#15 (At YMSPRR with #10)
    Current Paint, double heading with #10
    [​IMG]

A good amount of old West Side Rolling Stock got preserved too, with a few at the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Museum: https://ncngrrmuseum.org/rolling-stock/
    [​IMG]

The Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine also has a few pieces of rolling stock as well, such as a snowplow (Unfortunately was destroyed in a fire in 2017, currently being restored by the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Museum)
    [​IMG]

I think with a good amount of researching, and with alot of the rolling stock still existing in some shape and form, this route could be made for TS20XX.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Record-keeping note: Clear Creek Narrow Gauge Route is available internationally. Just a fact-check of your first comment here. Not against a new option, however, that does not focus on BNSF areas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Blacknred81

Really? I was under the impression since it was banned in the screenshot contests that the route wasn't available worldwide, not to mention the Colorado and Southern Railway is an owned asset of BNSF.
    unnamed.jpg

4. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, in the international versions the locomotives are re-lettered to the Colorado & Central instead of the Colorado & Southern.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Cyclone

I provided the DLC link. Want a screenshot? It might be banned from screenshot contests because it's restricted and not available worldwide in the same format. Is the Hi Line similarly restricted? And Marias? And the SD75, etc.?

6. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

7. Cyclone

8. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Montana Hi-Line is different from other BNSF releases as they had an unbranded version available for international customers.

9. Cyclone

So Workshop content for one will not work with the other, then? That's rich...

10. Blacknred81

No, any workshop content that uses one version of the Montana Hi Line will work with the other ones as well. Its the same system as Chicago Racetrack and Raton Pass, but it is just listed separately on the steam store (Rather than 1 package).

11. Cyclone

This begs a question, then. I've seen route projects that claim to require the US only version. Will those route projects work with the non-US one? If not, then that's clearly a one or the other thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blacknred81

Any examples? Usually the only time I see US only is for items that are no longer for sale outside the US, such as Marias Pass, Stevens Pass, or any BNSF related content that is not Chicago, Raton, or Hi-Line.

13. Cyclone

Coincidentally, someone provided a list of what he considered the best Workshop routes. More than half required Stevens or Marias. Which should be a huge wake-up call to DTG: people WILL buy the route if you make it available outside the US! Get to work fixing it for us!

14. corbinator1997

corbinator1997 New Member

The west side is a very dear Railway to me. I live in the town of Tuolumne and it's a 10 minute walk from my house to the old shops and yard complex. It would be amazing to be able to run the full 75 miles from Tuolumne into the woods as they would have over 50 years ago. Also we really need geared locomotives in TS.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blacknred81

So, I was able to make it up to the old route this afternoon, and am quite surprised how much of the original track is still in place on the West Side trail.....

Whats left of the line leading into town.
    [​IMG]

The start of what's left of the rails up the trail.
    [​IMG]

Date stamp on one of the rails, 1907...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Torment Gulch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Siding just past Torment Gulch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Farthest east I made it before I turned back.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Looks like quite the project if a group was to come along wishing to fully reinstate the line as a heritage operation. But it also looks like quite the lovely hike too. Nice views and everything. Mm. Very few things in this ol' world can top the natural beauty of nature itself.

17. Cyclone

Yup, interesting heritage railway idea. Imagine if we had it that way in the game. That gives the scenic elements some admiration from us.