About Digital Railroading's Nyc J3a Hudson

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by treid09, Jan 25, 2021.

1. treid09

treid09 Guest

46de6abd3c297805adb91b55b3a9448d.jpg

Hello everyone,

I am considering downloading Digital Railroading's J3a Hudson, and would like to know if anyone else has it. It looks highly detailed, very realistic, and Digital Railroading seems to have some of the finest vintage American stock that I have seen besides Smokebox.

Thanks for your time, God bless.

Sincerely,
    Corbin Reid

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2021
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Having looked on the DR website the only picture is much smaller that that real loco above
    And as the Loco is Freeware and you don't seem to need any other assets why not just try it?

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

I've had the locomotive since the day it came out. For a freeware model it's fantastic! Looks great, sounds great, and the cab is very detailed. The only thing that I really take issue with is that the physics are a bit wonky, but I think that's to be expected with a freeware model. It can get up to speed (60+ MPH) and stay there really quickly, but running at low speeds (15-35 MPH) requires little to almost no throttle/reverser input. The same issue also applies to their Pennsy E6 model. I highly recommend it as long as you don't mind the physics issues. It's a lot of fun, especially if you use it on the Hudson Line extension from the Steam Workshop.
    20201231153512_1.jpg

20200907132649_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hi Peter,

You're right, what do I have to lose by trying it out? I think that I definitely will. Thanks for the advice!

treid09

5. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

I definitely support getting this locomotive, you won't regret it. The sounds are kind of a letdown due to them being the Kuju Black 5's chuff sounds, but nonetheless is a great model. One of my favorite things to do with it was to run an "excursion" along the Hudson Line.

• Like Like x 1
  6. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hi Buynot,

Thanks for the advice! It certainly sounds like it is a must-have. I just bought the Pennsy K4 during the Festival of Rail sale, so their E6 would be a great complement to it as well. I do have one more question: is it installed with the package manager? That would be the icing on the cake....

treid09

7. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hi NEC,

I agree, I don't think that I will regret getting this beauty. I hope to enjoy some excursions with it as well. Thanks!

treid09

8. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I last had to reinstall the engine, but I don't believe it can be installed with the package manager. It's just the standard drag and drop the assets file into your Railworks folder method.

9. treid09

treid09 Guest

That's simple enough. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

10. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

No problem, glad I could help! :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you just downloaded it you would have the answers you require

12. treid09

treid09 Guest

You're right, but I do not want to download it yet. I've got some other stuff to enjoy for the moment. I do intend to try it out eventually though.

13. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Well, I hope you got the loco when you had the chance because Digital Railroading's website seems to be gone for good, and from my understanding they have no plan for making their content available elsewhere. :(

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  14. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

I managed to get the Hudsons a couple of days back and noticed then a message saying that the site would be gone for good June 2021... It appears that the timetable has been brought forward quite a bit! :o

15. treid09

treid09 Guest

Oh man....

No, I didn't get it yet. I wanted to enjoy some other add-ons my family gave me for Christmas, so I decided to wait a bit. I really wish I had jumped at the chance now. I noticed his email is still there, so I am going to try to contact them and let him how much his work is appreciated. Hopefully they will bring it back. DR was actually making a Water Level Route to go with it, so that stinks even more. Thanks for letting me know.

16. treid09

treid09 Guest

Did he say why he would getting rid of it?

17. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

I believe their reason was a lack of donations, and the few people who said they would donate weren't following through.

18. treid09

treid09 Guest

That's not good, I hate to hear that. Hopefully, they will reconsider.

19. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

I hope so too! Especially considering that DSGDDR had finished his PRR H10 model just today. I really hope their work ends up on RWA or something, but as I said before they don't have any plans for moving their content.

• Like Like x 1
  20. treid09

treid09 Guest

Did they say why they were stopping donations? Seems quite puzzling to me. I still haven't received a response to my email. I hope that it will all work out as well Woodland.

I sure hope that me asking about their Hudson hasn't caused this.

21. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

So, after looking through the comment section of his most recent video, DSGDDR seems to be in the process of finding a new home for his models, so the NYC Hudson & Caboose, PRR E6 & H10, and the Auxiliary Water Tenders will be back eventually. Other items that were once on the site such as the 20th Century Lightweights and NYC Pacemaker equipment, to my understanding, will not be coming back since those were the work of other members of Digital Railroading. He is very clear on the fact that he wants his locomotives to be free for everyone to enjoy. Hopefully he finds a new site soon!

• Like Like x 2
  22. treid09

treid09 Guest

Alright! That is fantastic to hear. Thanks for letting me know. It is still sad that the owner of DR decided to take the site down, hopefully he is okay.

I think that it is fantastic of DSGDDR to make his equipment free. Lets hope that he continues to bring his talent and skills to TS!

23. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  24. NEC Railfan

• Like Like x 2
  25. LargeInjector

LargeInjector Active Member

The download buttons aren't working for me.

26. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

I thought so too at first. You just need to give them a minute or 2 to load and they'll eventually start downloading.

27. treid09

treid09 Guest

*Happy dance*

28. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

i have all 3 of the steam engines and i love them the E6 has a problem with the sky having no blue texture when the clean version of the engine is on the route.

29. NEC Railfan

Do you have the PRR K4 DLC? It's required for some graphic reasons.

30. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

yes and it still does not work