PlayStation Br Class 20 Visibility

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Is it just me, or is it impossible to see where you are going in the BR Class 20 when it’s nose first?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

In real life, they're usually paired nose to nose these days so the driver has a better view and if they run nose first I think they need a second man for signal sighting because as you say it has very poor visibility. When they were built, I don't think was a problem because they had replaced steam locos which had similar visibility problems so drivers were used to it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yeah, I think in the game they should definitely be nose to nose when paired (which I think they are), but when operating alone like on WSR I think they should run butt first. I did a service on WSR today and it was nose first which seemed counterintuitive as I couldn’t see anything unless I used an outside camera angle. It should be the same for the 08/09 on WSR too.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Not sure about the 20, but with the 08/09 on the non-immersion controls there is an option to drive with your head out the window which gives a slightly wider field of view past the nose, but certainly nothing that would be regarded as safe in this day and age.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yep. I used to like using the head out angle, even though it can be dangerous in real life. Using the immersion controls has lost that feature, which is a shame. I try to imitate it as best I can now with immersion controls, but it just feels wrong driving these trains nose first. When shunting etc, that’s fair enough, but on long trips, I’m pretty sure they’d be operated backwards to maximise visibility.

• Like Like x 2
  6. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

At least in an 08/09 you are only going 10-15mph with minimum visability....in the 20 you could be going a lot faster!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Using a keyboard, you have the head-out-view within the arrow-keys, due to immersion-control too.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. DK12345

DK12345 Active Member

As others have mentioned, visibility on a 20 (as well as the lack of power) is why they were coupled nose-to-nose after a few years in service. However, when a 20 is running alone it is not 'wrong' to run it nose first - indeed it is often unavoidable. Consider operation over a branch line with no turntable (most turntables being removed after the steam era) - even if it enters the line cab first it must leave nose first.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I think the camera position on the 20 could do with adjusting. If it was slightly to the left, it would improve visibility a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

To get the most out of TSW and especially now with immersion controls you really need a keyboard attached. Head out view is your best friend and will be essential when steam locos come, as will the use of a keyboard for other controls.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

You can move the camera alongside the window to mimic the head out view, although not ideal if you want to use other angles.