PlayStation Livery Editor Tutorial

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Is anybody able to produce a YouTube video that shows how to create a basic livery on the livery editor (preferably on PS4)?

I don’t know how to make the same shapes copy over to the other side of the livery so that you can make the livery identical on each side of the train. I’ve watched videos on YouTube, but they either go to quick or don’t tell you what buttons to press.

I’m in awe of the liveries people have created so far and I can’t even get a stripe to match on both sides of each carriage in the set.

:(

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gav

Gav Active Member

You and me both!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

I hope there is. I have tried to create a name on the side of a box car, but don't know how to move along to get each letter in place and as you say replicate on both sides.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I didn't know anything, not a single thing about doing a livery, had never touched one before. But after a lot of patients and practice I can do a bit now. It took many many hours but I can do fairly straight forward things now.

I would love to know how people make all these fantastic looking designs out of the few shapes that are in the editor so I hope that we get a tutorial as well. There was talk a while ago of Natalie doing one but no time was given. I have still not looked at any videos yet so I feel quite pleased with what I have taught myself to do so far. One thing though when/if you have another go, keep saving it. Every quarter of an hour or if doing something complicated even more often because on mine, and many others that I have heard of, I get a blue screen crash. Usually just over an hour or so after starting. But I always start saving way before that because it has crashed sooner. I have not used it for several months so it may have been fixed but doubt it. Even if it has I would still save regularly because you never know as anything could go wrong at the wrong time. It's bad enough losing a quarter of an hours work, but better than an hour. Just keep trying different things to see if you can work out what they do. It's the way I learnt and I am no youngster, far from it unfortunately, so it takes a lot of banging to get it to stick and stay in my head.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jackmc2007

jackmc2007 Active Member

To make it appear on the other side of the train i just use the projection settings and put both bars to the right

6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve tried that, but it doesn’t seem to work reliably for me, but not totally sure I’m doing it right lol. I have zero skill lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lenwigg

Lol, I don't have any skills either. I think it is because I don't like being beaten by a machine. I just keep on until I nail it if there is something I am trying to do. Even if it means leaving it for a few months and going back to it when I suddenly remember it again. Or think of a possible answer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

The sound might be a bit low, and I am not used to recording myself so my pronunciation is shocking :o, but here's a basic shapes and functions tutorial for covering the train quickly and efficiently with simple shapes, using projection and copying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ll take a watch later. Thank you.

10. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

In the Christmas Stream, Sam said Natalie is developing her knowledge and skills on this and then leading workshops or tutorials in future streams.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lenwigg

Very useful especially the tip fof keeping text the same size.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Just watched your tutorial video.

That’s exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it and for sharing it. Nothing wrong with your pronunciation either.

One question or observation comes to mind and that is on the edge of the second coach, which you can see around 6:40, the stripes you’ve created have white ‘scuff’ marks on the none white layers. Why is that and how can you avoid or fix it?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

No problem, it was a pleasure!

The marks you mention seem to be livery designer specific, which is to say, they only usually appear within the livery designer itself from my experience, once you load the livery in a route, there is a clean line. The image below is the livery I created in that video loaded up into HMA, and it seems to be fine. That said, self-made liveries do sometimes pixelate or become lo-res out on the track, possibly due to memory usage issues.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 222003.png

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Ah cool. Interesting. Thank you :)

• Like Like x 1