Route Proposal: Canada's " The Corridor "

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blacknred81, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, one area of focus for a Canadian based passenger route would be an area known as "The Corridor" or the "Quebec City-Windsor Corridor" This I believe is Canada's highest speed train route, with speeds reaching at least 100mph.
    1920px-CorridorVia.svg.png

Now interestingly enough, part of this corridor is already in TSW2 as part of CN's Oakville Subdivision, though I think the area that could be focused on is between Toronto and Montreal. With a route focusing on either major city.

Era wise there can be a few different ones to explore.

The 1st era would be with Canadian National from about the late 60's to 1978, this could feature their branded "Rapido" trains, as well as the unique UAC TurboTrain, plus any other passenger trains that CN operated at the time (If any).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The 2nd Era than can be used is the VIA era, with the early eras using the Turbotrains or LRC's. Or the current era with GE P42's and F40's (With LRC coaches still in service) Canadian National I believe still operates freight along the line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  2. james#6343

james#6343 Member

As amazing as this would be, I sadly don't see this becoming a reality. Keep in mind that the longest route in TSW2 currently is the LGV at 93km/58mi. The Corridor at its longest, between QC and Windsow is a whopping 1170km/727mi. That's over 12.5 times as long as the LGV.

Realistically, if DTG wanted to do a passenger line based in Canada, they would more than likely do GO Transits Lakeshore East line as it is only 50.5km/31.4mi. If they wanted to do a longer line, they would the Lakeshore West line which is 132km/82mi.

Seeing as DTG's main priority for the foreseeable future is high speed rail, according to what (I BELIVE it was) DTG Protagonist said in a previous live stream, and that the MP40PH-3C/MP54-AC only have a top speed of 150km/h (93MPH), I wouldn't count on any of GO's lines being created for at LEAST the next year. But if I'm being honest, I won't be counting on it for at least the next FIVE years.

The plus side to this is that by the time DTG would theoretically be developing the route, the game will be more polished, with more features and more capability, making it easy to believe that they would release the DLC with BOTH east and west lines, seeing as in real life, the lines are continuations of one another, where a Lakeshore East train will become a Lakeshore West train at Union and vice-versa. This would be a route totalling over 182km/113mi. Which even five years from now, would be a lot more realistic than a line that is over 1000km/700mi.

You would also need to think of how long that route takes to travel. I'm sure you and I would have no problems driving one train on one trip for 4-5 hours, but the average player would get bored very easily and thus very few people would actually benefit from the entire route.

Another issue would be shortening it into smaller sections. In Europe it's a lot easier to only release a smaller portion of a march larger route, because big cites are located a lot more close together. To do this with The Corridor, you're still looking at a route between Toronto-Ottawa thats still over 2 hours. The only part I could REALLY see working would be the small segment between Ottawa and Montreal or Montreal to Quebec City.

The main aspect of commuter lines in TSW2 is driving in denser areas with many stops. The distance between Toronto-Ottawa or between any other 2 points would be better suited for freight. Again making GO the only one that would be anywhere near feasible for the team.

3. Blacknred81

I wasn't suggesting the whole route, I was more or less suggesting a line stating at either Toronto or Montreal......

4. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a fantastic route. Another Canadian route is a great idea. I think setting the route in the 60s-70s would give players some amazing classic diesels like the CN Alco FPA4, FM Trainmaster (CN had 1), GP7/GP9, FP9, and FM C-Liner CPA16-5, plus the Turbo Train. Freight cars could include grain hoppers, coal hoppers, tank cars, and others. Passenger services would need CN conventional passenger cars and the Turbo Train.

5. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

Turbo train would be super cool.

6. azurewizzard

azurewizzard New Member

Bump this thread I want the corridor to be the next canadian route to come out for TSW 3!

7. heliomass

heliomass Member

Great suggestion! Personally, I find the route between Montreal and Toronto a little dull, but Montreal to Quebec City is a really unique rail journey. Two crossings of the Saint Lawrence river, the curiously circuitous route from Charny to downtown Quebec. The stunning old city would make an amazing backdrop as you arrive into the gorgeous Gare du Palais, similar in vain to the view of Edinburgh Castle in Glasgow to Edinburgh.

• Like Like x 1
  8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea comes to Toronto Niagara Falls that should be going to Buffalo New York the way you play the Niagara Falls custom stop is treating you like a Bahnstrecke Hagen Finnentrop Siegen Ruhr Sieg Nord Kreuztal locomotive move or a Clinchfield 3 parter service. VIA Rail P42DC can be made first then Reskinned to Amtrak version for NEC Boston Providence since it runs there during the late nights when the power is cut for wire Maintenance.

9. Blacknred81

Surprised someone resurrected this suggestion.

But with how modern TSW is, not sure how likely we will get anything I mentioned.

The VIA licensing is currently unknown.

And the LRC and Turbotrain probably won't happen either due to research reasons.

Hopefully I'm wrong....

10. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

1st era is more likely since dtg have a cn license but don't know what the whole licensing situation is since dtg haven't created any other canadian route other than oakville. Who knows but it would be nice to see some more canadian content. Via rail is still a no.

11. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

I vote this as a base route for the inevitable TSW4 (probably two years from now)

12. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

VIA’s corridor is complicated because it’s more long distance rather than commuter, and the distance alone between like Toronto and Ottawa is ~5 hours, it’ll never happen.

a section of the route being done, like Toronto-Oshawa for example, is probably feasible. Problem is, VIA services will be boring, and it will be a ghost town without the GO Transit license.

There’s only so many VIA services in a day, and VIA only stops at Toronto, Oshawa, and a few trains stop at Guildwood in the middle, that’s it.

Now on the other side of Toronto. Toronto-Hamilton (Aldershot) would also be an okay choice (especially since it’ll pass GO’s willowbrook yard and VIA’s Toronto Maintenance Centre) however the problem is again, the timetable.

The route will be completely dead without GO Transit, the only VIA Train to travel on the Toronto-Hamilton line (Oakville Sub) is the Toronto to Windsor corridor train, and that only has like 8 services a day. And they only stop at Toronto, Oakville, and Aldershot. It’ll be boring and lack services. Not to mention since Metrolinx bought the Oakville Subdivision from CN up until Burlington, there will be barely any freight.

Amtrak also uses the Oakville Subdivision for their Maple Leaf train, one service in the morning and one in the evening. That’s it, and that would require a P42DC.

Would love to see a VIA corridor route, but without commuter railroads like GO Transit, it’ll be completely dead. VIA isn’t a commuter railroad by any means, it’s long distance only.

• Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

Spot on and for the GO Transit trains the closest we have to it is Caltrain Baby bullet which was supposed to layer to OSD as a GO Transit train. In the case of Toronto Niagara falls,ON/NY-Buffalo, NY the Maple leaf it needs to be run like RSN Werdohl split for motive moves or Clinchfield 3 part services. Part 1 Drive to Niagara falls ON Part 2 Niagara Falls ON Niagara Falls NY Part 3 Niagara Falls, NY Buffalo, NY if modelled after Clinchfield. If modeled after RSN Werdohl motive move Part 1 Drive to Niagara Falls, ON from Toronto & OSD Part 2 run Niagara Falls, ON to Buffalo,NY

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  14. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

Problem with the baby bullet is that it would have to be significantly redone.

The Caltrain coaches are phase 5 I believe, GO Transit does have phase 5 coaches but only as Accessibility cars, which is one per train in the middle.
    Also GO Transit doesn’t have any coaches with the welded body and small window doors. It’s either welded body and large window doors or riveted body and small window doors.
    In addition, the locomotive is wrong, would need to be upgraded to MP40PH or MP54.

also the interior cab layouts are significantly different between Caltrain and GO Transit on both the loco and old cab car. (Not talking about the redesigned newer GO cab car)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. driverwoods#1787

Find your advice helpful but for DTG they are willing to do it cheaply which is simply Reskinning Baby Bullet into GO Transit sort of like how DB BR112 HBK was made from RSN DB BR143. A recent example is Dispolok 182 being made from RT DB BR182.

16. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

What's funnier is you Expect DTGs to make another TSW game that's too Funny, how many people do you "truly see following them" after they rereleased TSW "6 TIMES" now in under 6 years, Yes DTGs has released TSW 6 Times !!! and their Fan base is drifting away as Bigger and Better Railroading games with Multiplayer modes are releasing by New Developers. And these New Game Developers are taking TSW player's away from them, Fact!

TSW Released
    1. TSW - 2018
    2.TSW Founders Edition - 2018
    3.TSW2 - 2020
    4.TSW2 2020 Edition - 2020
    5.TSW2 Rush Hour - 2020
    6.TSW3 - 2022
    there all considered a New game as there was New content added to each one.
    Plus the Biggest Factor is DTG's doesn't Fix any of their old content they only do a small cheap update to fix some of New content then move on to Next project many more reasons New Developers are Taking over. If read this far don't bother to reply as I have moved on to Better Railroading Games myself as DTGs is a $$$$ Joke Company like EA

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  17. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Something realistic for TSW, like Montreal-Alexandria or the like.