Hst Not Fixed

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by gary dean, Feb 2, 2021.

1. gary dean

gary dean Member

In the update today 2nd feb you said the HST problem with loss of power to reach 125 had been fixed well it is the same as before.
    I have been waiting for that fix for a long time ,whats going on its not good enough.
    Gary

2. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

The HST is now pretty accurate from my drive of it earlier, slightly faster to 125 than before, and pretty much matching the data I have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

It has been fixed !!! It gets to 125mph by Maidenhead out of Reading (EastB) AND at Iver coming out of Paddington. EXACTLY as real life drivers have quoted me many times.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. ghawk2005

Yes me too. Exactly correct and very true to life from my very extensive OCD research.

• Like Like x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes, it is now realistic. Do not expect it to accelerate like a jet from an aircraft carrier catapult!

6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

The HST works fine for me as well, do not see any problems with it's acceleration now.

7. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

If anything it's a little overpowered now. I've just done a run of the 0819 to Newbury, arrived at Reading at 0844 (booked to arrive at 0849) having left Paddington 2 minutes late at 0821.

8. ghawk2005

definitely not overpowered. ‘Somewhere between West Drayton and Iver’ is what many real drivers have said to me - and this hits it at Iver bang on so maybe you’re braking too harshly or something. Acceleration is spot on!!!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  9. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Well you tell me what I'm doing wrong then?

10. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I did not find any change from yesterday's patch.
    I had a 1.2 GB PC update. Is this normal when some people were talking about 3.5 GB?

11. solicitr

You mention at about 19: 45 that you are driving a 'short form'- is it a 6-element train? I would expect those to be lighter and a bit quicker than an 8-element train, which is what I was driving.

(This is a known, ancient bug in GWE: unless you force it, timetable mode gives you a train short two cars. IRL the GWR ran with 8 or 7, but never 6)

12. solicitr

How big the download is depends on what DLC you have installed.

13. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I have them all

14. solicitr

OK, that is strange.

15. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I also have everything and only got a 1.2 Gig patch. HST seems ok though. Haven’t spent a lot of time on it yet though.

Edit : Just ran another service out of Paddington obeying speed limits and hit 125 just before Iver. So looks fine for me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  16. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Mine was 1.2GB, though I don't claim to have 'everything' I believe I have all the assets addressed by the patch. The HST in FGW is running faster and LGV now allows me to save and restore, so it's all good. :)

17. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Solicitr - you mention 'unless you force it' GWE runs a 6-car consist in timetable mode - how do you force it?

18. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

If you go into journey mode, select a service. Then quit service by going back to menu. And then you’ll see lots of additional services in timetable mode as well as proper length HST sets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s the shorter train that’s making it get to speed sooner. To simulate the longer train I used to use notch 4 as my maximum power, unless I was in Journey mode where the longer trains are used. I was doing that in TSW2020 because after finishing Journey mode I noticed the train was much more sprightly in Timetable.

20. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

My download was also 1.2gb so I am at a loss as to why the sizes differ. Are these shorter consists on console or have I just never noticed on my laptop?

21. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I've been playing this since the founders edition and never knew about this!

22. gary dean

gary dean Member

I will have another go to see if i get the same results as all of you guys.
    Gary

23. solicitr

Anyway, the speeds I reported were using an 8-car set. Which came to 125 bang at Iver

24. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

8 coach HST with a good set of power cars and good conditions will get to 125mph at about West Drayton in real life. It will vary depending on weather conditions, how good the power cars are, etc... So Iver isn’t too far off.

6/7 coach HST will obviously get to 125mph quicker because you’re pushing/pulling less weight. The more trailer vehicles you have, the slower you accelerate. To give you an idea how different length HSTs compare with Meridians at East Midlands, if a HST is put onto a service with Meridian (Class 222) timings, a 7/8 coach HST would lose time. Whereas a 6 coach HST would just be able to keep time. This is why when East Midlands inherited the short length 6 coach HSTs from Grand Central, they were used on the Derby/Sheffield services as they could keep to Meridian timings. Whereas the long 8 coach HSTs were generally used exclusively for the Nottingham services.

If you had a power car on its own with no trailer vehicles, it would be like driving a rocket with ridiculously fast acceleration! Of course, there are speed restrictions as you are driving ‘light loco.’ If the HST is formed of only 4 coaches like they are in the West of England by GWR and in Scotland by ScotRail (mixture of 4 or 5 coaches), there is a maximum speed restriction of 100mph. This was never a British Rail rule but Train companies have decided to impose this restriction. (Not that it matters because the lines they operate aren’t high speed anyway)

• Like Like x 5
  25. solicitr

Well, to be fair to the poor old 43, the GWML (Brunel's Billiard Table) was one of the few routes in Britain that could handle trains running at 125 before HS1 was built.