Lzb Ice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AtherianKing, Oct 22, 2020.

1. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

My ICE was using LZB and at the bottom it said ENDE then it started screaming and slammed on brakes and wouldn’t start moving again, it just kept making the screaming alarm, does anybody know how to stop this happening?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

When ENDE is displayed, you have to use the PZB/LZB release button. It’s telling you that LZB is ending and PZB is resuming. Before releasing LZB, you should return the throttle and AFB (if on) to zero. You should then turn AFB off and back on again if you’re using it before setting an appropriate speed and increasing the throttle again.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Edit: I had many of my questions answered by Matt’s tutorial video - Ende stops flashing when you have acknowledged it, apparently there is no way to keep AFB on - but I would still be interested if there are varying approaches that people use.

I am curious if anyone has a suggestion for the best strategy here.

Should you ride LZB to the very end with AFB and throttle maxed? Should you take over just before LZB ends by lowering the throttle bringing AFB down with the braking curve? Will AFB just be turned off at the end of LZB no matter where it is set or is there a way to keep AFB on across the transition?

I seem to find myself fumbling around with the throttle and AFB levers at the end and the transition is rarely smooth.

Also, is this the correct order? Throttle to zero, AFB off, AFB to zero, AFB on, AFB to setting, throttle on.

Finally - lots of questions - how do you know your acknowledgment of the Ende has been accepted shy of hitting the button multiple times -my default! I missed it once and couldn’t clear the system after the stop such that it would go silent and let me throttle up again - the procedure for a PZB stop didn’t work.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

The AFB will automatically start to bring the train down to a certain target speed, there is usually one before LZB ends . If you are still over your target speed at the end of a LZB section, then it would be a good idea to manually apply the brakes. AFB does not turn itself off at the end of a LZB section, that is something that you have to do manually.
    I don't know what the exact proper procedure is like, but the usual way I go about it is:
    1. As soon as the ENDE light comes up, use the PZB/LZB release switch to acknowledge.
    2. Set throttle to zero
    3. Go into the MFD and turn off AFB
    4. Set the AFB lever to zero, and then bring it back up to the target speed
    5. Let the train coast until PZB has fully initialized and takes back control.
    6. Turn on AFB once more, and then proceed as normal.

Those last 3 points are important, as I've found myself on a few occasions where the train would not respond to throttle inputs at all despite being below the AFB target speed. You have to bring the AFB lever to zero as a sort of acknowledgement that you as a driver are back in control.

After acknowledging it, the ENDE light will go from flashing to a steady light. If an emergency brake application has happened and the train has come to a halt, all you need to do is use the PZB/LZB release switch (you might have to press it in the forwards direction), and make sure that the throttles and brakes have been set to zero. It might take a few seconds for the brakes to fully release.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
  5. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Thank you. This is quite helpful and I look forward to trying it out. I had been in the habit of riding AFB until the PZB took over, leaving me with many tasks to accomplish while I was subject to PZB. Getting steps 2-4 done before the transition is a much better approach.

When I was trying to recover from the emergency brake, I was using the keyboard shortcut to release the alarm. It sounds like pushing the switch forward might work better.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Analogue Anomaly

Analogue Anomaly Member

I get an emergency stop every time I come out of lzb, I have tried the Page Down (pzb ack) and End (pzb rel) to no avail. Do I need to have pzb on too?

• Like Like x 1
  7. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

I mean you could just deactivate AFB :D and drive the train manually, I tend to drive without AFB, which makes it more engaging for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There is no need to turn AFB off; just set it to 0 and back up to desired speed. LZB Ende disengages AFB (this is a safety measure in case the driver had left it set to 330....) Pulling the handle back to 0 and advancing it again re-engages it, just like the throttle after braking.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. skyMutt

But if the AFB is not turned off and you set it to zero, wouldn't the train start applying some brakes because it thinks you want to slow down rapidly? The driver would have to move the lever really quickly, which might be possible if driving on PC, but it's not feasible if you're on console and you have to manually move the lever.
    I figured it'd be a lot smoother to have AFB turned off as you move the lever down to zero, and then back up to the desired speed, this way there wouldn't be any sudden jolts in movement :)

10. solicitr

No, because the AFB controller handle has been disengaged. It doesn't start working again until you have set it to zero and then advanced it to a setting above zero.

• Like Like x 1
  11. skyMutt

Huh, I didn't realize LZB Ende would automatically disengage AFB. Thanks for the heads up!

12. solicitr

Note- by "LZB Ende" I don't mean the advance warning when the Ende light goes on that you have to acknowledge: LZB/AFB are still in control, the light is just a heads-up. AFB disengages when LZB does, when the buzzer sounds and the LZB light goes back to "B." If you pull the AFB handle back while the "U" is still lit, you will reduce your speed to 0.

13. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

oh... my... God lol... I have been doing it the complicated way the whole time... when I could save myself time and anxiety with... this... tried it, worked, this should be pinned comment

• Like Like x 1
  14. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Oof this a newbie post of mine revived after quite sometime :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

well, it contains one of the best pieces of simple advice ever on this forum... I tried it on multiple services, two different locos/trains atm, and it fckin works... no more complicated switching off AFB and all... piece of cake now :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

I also thought that I had to switch AFB completely off and on again. But I recently subscribed to a German raildriver on YT who does cabrides with the camera mounted on the backwall, so you can see everything he does in the cab. I was suprised to see that, at the end of LZB sections, he only pulled the AFB lever to 0 and back to his desired speed. Tried it in game and found it worked :)

If anyone's interested in his YT channel, it's: IC-Lokführer

• Like Like x 2