Steam Console

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by longo239, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Again the, "I don't like this, so I'll say something totally inaccurate and close it so no one can answer back!" response.

Fair point, it's your ball, you take it home when you want, but how is it unauthorized access, nothing has been done using illegal means?

Easy answer if you don't want people to legitimately access software they have paid for beforehand, don't do pre-orders and do a time limited sale on release. That way people can't bypass it using SteamCMD because they can't own it until it's released.

Because someone has had the knowledge to obtain a dlc which has already been paid for and obtained by legitimate software provided by the platform you choose to use to sell your products, you are implying it has been stolen?

I await the arrival of Keyser Söze and the usual suspects to begin their berrating of me and have no doubt this thread will soon be closed in a similar autocratic manner!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. hightower

hightower Guest

I have to agree. It is a bit Big Brother and a little bit ‘toys out of the pram’.

I wonder if this same thing had happened but DTG had smacked it out of the park with SEHS (stop sniggering at the back!) and the buzz was overwhelmingly positive, would that thread have been locked?

My guess is would it heck.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

No implication or accusation has been made that users are stealing anything.

To clarify "unauthorised" - users are gaining early access to a title without explicit permission.

Gaining access via SteamDB is effectively a leak. Had we wanted people to have access to a new release before launch day we'd do it officially. It's not something we want to happen, and as you rightly point out the only way we can remedy this vulnerability in Steam is to either no longer offer pre-orders, or not upload the packages before release. Both of which would detrimentally affect the whole community.

My apologies if you feel that disallowing the discussion of leaked material on the official forum is unreasonable, however that is our position. Regardless of whether feedback is positive, negative or somewhere in between, any future threads regarding unauthorised access to one of our titles ahead of their release will be removed.

If you have any further comments please message me directly.

• Like Like x 15
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.