Hst Class 43 Seems To Slow Down And Stop For No Reason

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by GothicMatt, Mar 11, 2018.

1. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

I was doing the West World Scenario and i was about 25 miles away from Reading and the HST Class 43 just seemed to slow down to a stop for no reason i dont know if it was something wrong i did or if it is a bug as it happened a bit further down the track aswell, I also notice that the AMPS seems to slowly go down when you are speeding up to 125mph

2. Goldenshrimpy

Goldenshrimpy New Member

by any chance did you knock you stick from forward to neutral i did this once and that was what the problem was had me confused for a bit

3. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

No i didnt think it might of been something else i did not too sure, i'll have another go at the scenario and see if it happens again

4. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Make sure both direct and automatic brakes are off in both cabs

5. Jen8Bri

Jen8Bri New Member

Down on the D-pad is also the emergency brake which could be easily pressed accidentally

• Like Like x 1
  6. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

Yeah you have to go into the other cab turn the brake to release and put it in neutral, then put tail lights on and turn off the master key. Then when you go to the right end you'll be able to speed up and slow down properly.

7. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I know most of these posts are old but I’ll reply anyway.

HST is an interesting train because it is not quite a locomotive but certainly not a unit either. HSTs only have one train brake and no independent/locomotive/straight air brake. There are other things as well like no brake pipe over charge button like you would get in a conventional locomotive.

Fortunately, since this post was written in 2018, they’ve changed that now so you can’t accidentally press the emergency plunger by pressing down in the D-pad. To be able to use the emergency plunger, you will need to click on it.

No, you should immobilise the rear cab by putting the brakes to full service (step 6). Put reverser switch to OFF and take key out like you said. You will be able to get brake release from the other cab when you insert the key. Your technique will still work but is not technically correct.

If the speed is coming down gradually and not quickly, it sounds like that the DSD and/or AWS is active in the rear power car and is causing a brake application. This is a fault/flaw with TSW but you have to remember to isolate the warning systems when you are changing ends. Bizarrely though, the speed comes down slowly to a stop whereas the emergency plunger, for example, would bring the train to a stop much more quickly.
    Could also be parking brake applied but you can’t do this by accident- you would need to physically click and hold the button.

The amps decreasing is normal as speed increases. It is governed by a load regulator.