Northern Trans Pennine: Keeping On Schedule?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by solicitr, Feb 4, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I just can't seem to do it. The Class 45 is a little less underpowered than the 47, but both of them accelerate like the tracks are coated in chewing gum, and almost never even make it to line speed before it's time to brake again (and the NTP is full of those little 40mph zones which last just long enough to kill your momentum).

Any tips?

2. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

The 47 had a buff back in the TSW2020 days and actually has more grunt than the 45 now. I'm not sure why yours is still underperforming.

Route knowledge is key for hitting the schedule times with this sucker though. You can keep to schedule in a Class 40 (if you have the DLC) without overspeeding once you have a semi decent understanding of where to gun it and when to throw the anchors out. Anticipating when to open the taps for the gradients and undulations of the terrain before you hit them and getting it back down to bang on 40mph for the decreased speed areas just as you hit them will see you right. It is a challenging route and the margins for error are very small, but once you master it, keeping your times from running below the schedule rather than running the schedule late becomes more of a challenge than hitting the actual schedule times, certainly so in the more powerful 45 and 47.

Besides, this is 1980's British Rail...not running late just wouldn't be realistic.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I agree. I think it's very hard to stay on time in NTP, but it's possible even in a class 40. Needless to say, I was rather proud of myself when I completed a passenger run in a class 40 on time for the first time :D

Edit: grammar

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  4. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Should be doable, I've not played the mainline services a ton in TSW2, but I did do one with the 40. The timing are certainly very tight but was able to get a gold medal in rainy conditions. So the 45 should be able to do it easier assuming it's working correctly.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I did a Leeds - Manchester run in TSW using the Class 33 on 8 coaches and managed to keep within a few mins of time.
    Quite enjoyable but I can not seem to do it in TSW2 - a bit of a pain.

6. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

it was the '80s. on time was a flexible thing ;)