Routebuilders - "i Think We Just About Got Away With That"...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hightower, Feb 4, 2021.

1. hightower

hightower Guest

Manual writing team - "Hold My Beer"...

Manual.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 22
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Proofreading is dead apparently...[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  3. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

4. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

I mean if you dont spot the issue with post #1 then I dont know what to say about your attention to detail - maybe dont get a concentration heavy job.....

• Like Like x 11
  5. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

That's what I would call a copy pasta fail.

Its a little shoddy but also slightly more humorous, im sure they will rectify it

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

That's a big oof moment right there

• Like Like x 5
  7. ISKREEM

ISKREEM New Member

I don't understand how something like that slipped through? Are they so focused with project deadlines that they couldn't bother proof reading?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  8. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

It's easily fixed but it's something which shouldn't have happened in the first place. Who proof read it, Stevie Wonder?

• Like Like x 6
  9. hightower

hightower Guest

I think it’s symptomatic of a development team under far too much time pressure, or without sufficient manpower to complete the work they have to get through to an acceptable standard.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 21
  10. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

We’ve slipped up and made mistakes too, but people in our lives likely haven’t publicized them for others to see or criticize.

DTG has a support site where issues can be reported privately. I think, like us, DTG will be more appreciative for the opportunity to correct mistakes of this nature without any public embarrassment.

• Like Like x 2
  11. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

The issue with the support site is that you log stuff, get a response "this has been logged" and then never see a fix for said problem or hear anything ever again.

However, for an entire page to be wrong like this means that someone has copy pasted this document and it hasn't been proof read by anyone. There's a difference between mentioning LGV once in a document, and having a introduction that is completely incorrect.

• Like Like x 7
  12. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

And we’ve never made a copy paste mistake or failed to have someone else check our work?

It’s possible they meant to finish that section but forgot or were distracted or had a family emergency, etc.

There’s nothing wrong with being gracious or compassionate or forgiving (which we’d be thankful for if the tables were turned).

• Like Like x 3
  13. hightower

hightower Guest

Afraid I completely disagree. You’re entirely entitled to your opinion, I just happen not to share it. Maybe it’s a function of the working worlds we inhabit? Maybe not.

DTG aren’t my friends or my colleagues. This is a commercial product and things like this (including that paragraph RobSkip highlighted above) are symptomatic of something that is clearly wrong somewhere. More likely, however, it is symptomatic of the unreasonable pressure the staff are under to get things out by a certain date, irrespective of readiness. That is a failure of management and quality control.

On that basis it is entirely reasonable to highlight these shortfalls.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 18
  14. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

It’s easily done. I’ve done similar things myself, usually because I’m on a tight deadline and copy and paste parts of an earlier document intending to change the important stuff and then get distracted and it gets sent out “as is”.

It’s not the end of the world. It gets pointed out, you get totally embarrassed, change it and send it out again.

• Like Like x 2
  15. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

There's no need to even get embarrassed, we're human, we make mistakes. Putting in place some to proof read or QA it can stop these mistakes. This has slipped through the net due to one reason or another. They'll change it and get over it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

On behalf of Dovetail Games I'd like to offer a public *facepalm*

We'll get the manual fixed ASAP. It might only be colour text as part of the intro but that's not the point.

• Like Like x 18
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  17. hightower

hightower Guest

junior hornet

I’d agree, to an extent. It’s what you do to stop it happening again that’s vital, but that is exactly why feedback is important.

In my world, when a mistake gets made we hold our hands up to it through a formal reporting system that can often involve the regulator, explain what happened (and critically why) then it gets looked at and assessed. It may go into trend monitoring or it may get tackled on an individual basis. If procedural changes are needed to stop it happening again then they are made. If it’s a lack of knowledge or a mistake on the part of the individual then it again gets assessed and actions can range from a word in the ear, to individual re-training, to company/department wide re-training program. It’s called a ‘Just Safety’ culture in my industry (i.e. No blame if it’s a genuine error that is reported)...the aim always being to learn lessons and make marginal gains towards improvements.

It also means we have to be comfortable both giving and receiving (sometimes punchy) feedback. Hiding away from mistakes and pretending they didn’t happen gets you absolutely nowhere. In my opinion too many people these days shy away from constructive feedback and dismiss it as complaining when it is often far from the case.

Clearly DTG are open to feedback (Matt has always said that), perhaps even more so since Sam came on board. Whether their management allow them the time and space to act upon it is a different story altogether.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

The manual (on Steam, at least) has been updated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

That's so funny. How did that get allowed to be published in the beginning

20. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...I spy three (pretty obvious) issues in this text.

• Like Like x 2
  21. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Does anybody at dtg pre read their stuff before release. This is just so funny.

• Like Like x 2
  22. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Just some poor schmuck with way too much on his table at crunch time, is my guess too. If not, well then it's pretty bad indeed. Small thing, though, and they are fixing it. At least we got a manual this time around, that's good, right? Between the core route itself, community modding efforts, new patch coming our way from DTG... this route is really shaping up to something special. Well done all, well done indeed!!

Also, never, ever, ever, never underestimate the "power" of a dedicated gaming community as far as modding their favorite game goes. Not sure how far it can be taken in TSW with no official tools or support, but this would not be the first game getting saved by the community. I have been around modding games for the better part of 20 years now, and time after time the communities not only expand upon the original game, bug fix it, make it run right, but outright saves it where the developers all stand their with their proverbial pee-pees in their hands looking dumfounded. In this day and age I think it's a huge mistake for any game developer not to embrace this power (and hello devs, all this power is FREE!!) and to help nourish and grow it. This helps cement the foundation of the game within the community, draw in more people, and will in the long run help drive sales for new DLC as well.

• Like Like x 1
  23. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I mean, it is NOT the developers fault all the time, they are under lots of pressure they are forced to do something at a lower quality to meet the deadline- blame senior management

• Like Like x 1
  24. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

I apologize for being a lump head, but what was the mistake in the first post?

• Like Like x 1
  25. hightower

hightower Guest

No need to apologise for being a lump head, although it really helps to read it...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2021
  26. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be about Southeastern High Speed like the title says, but all the text is about LGV.

27. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...don’t feel bad, I didn’t catch that one either. It’s actually a ‘forest and the trees’ issue with me- I’m usually pretty good with the trees, sometimes not so much with the forest. My wife would be proud I admitted that. ;-)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  28. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

lol doh! I just thought it was talking about some southeastern route in france and the LGV was the train.

29. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t want to comment on whether the first use of the Oxford comma is good style but the attempt at the second one has gone seriously awry.

• Like Like x 2
  30. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that second instance is a Borstal comma, not an Oxford.

• Like Like x 1