PlayStation Why Have Point, And Other Questions For Dtg.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jackrose1989, Feb 6, 2021.

1. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

Seriously DTG.

Why have the options on the map to switch points when it doesn't work and never has?

Why can't we switch points when we want?

Why is there so much track that's been rendered and can't be used?

Why can't we a free roam mode without signals? If I want to crash, let me.

It's been a half made game for too long.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

And for the love of God give us:

The ability to control the train from the passenger view.

Picture in picture so we can see ahead whilst sat as a passenger.

A proper fly by view that doesn't start instantly from the front of the train, I want to see it coming from far away...like a car game replay, etc.

These things just aren't hard, you have the framework there.

3. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

from what i know switching points you can do not on all but then if you were to do that it would break the dispatcher and render that session. with regards to crashing i do remember being an interview about why we don't get to see a crash partly due to the sensitivity i think of doing it and whether companies that allow licensing would be happy about it. i do agree though the variety in cameras could be increased

4. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

The entire AI system is based around having a functional signaling system. No signals/locked switch points = no AI trains. Most people would opt for having AI trains rather than more free roam possibilities.

• Like Like x 5
  5. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what this is all about, switching points through the map does indeed work. Seeing as we're here in the PS4 forums, all you need to do is press the touch pad on your DualShocks to bring it up and interact with junctions like normal, it'll update in real time. If you're doing it from the pause menu...well, you have to remember that the simulation is paused as well. As soon as you unpause the game, the changes will take place.

There are plenty of manual junctions across all routes in the game, and they're usually located where they would be irl– in and around yards and depots. Otherwise, the junctions on the mainlines are operated automatically by a dispatcher, which operates on a first-come-first-served basis. This works just fine in scenarios and timetable modes, but if what you want is a free mode, then the closest thing you've got is creating one through the scenario planner.
    Some routes such as Sand Patch Grade and CN Oakville Subdivision have a scenario that offers complete freedom to play around in yards, where you can mess around with locos and shunt around cars as much as you'd like.

This didn't use to be the case. In earlier routes, the map displays much more tracks than it does now, but following after what happened with CN Oakville, people had given feedback saying that they just want the map to only reflect the usable tracks that have functional paths and that can be easily accessible by the player. So that's what we have now.

While this isn't a proper workaround, it's somewhat possible to do; you just need to go into settings and into controls, and switch the layout to the Classic one. Now if you go to external view, you can position the camera however you'd like, then press triangle and switch between camera and driver modes, allowing you to control the train from outside.

Similar to the response above, just use the Classic controller layout, which gives the option for a free camera. With this you can fly ahead and position the camera, that way you can get a fly-by like you've described.

• Like Like x 2
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

This is not GTA, dude. It's a simulator. As in, it's meant to simulate reality.

• Like Like x 7
  7. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

Yea but not being able to have a proper free roam on "free roam" mode is rather annoying. Having to wait for hours or something to drive a train, rather than start it all early etc. Or being able to generally drive about would be nice.

8. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

It doesn't simulate it that well if you can't use track and points that are made to be ridden on and change.

9. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

Touchpad? It says for me "press X". I just had a play and the touchpad doesn't do anything for me. I can't change any points on the routes on scenario planner, which is annoying because I can't reroute fast trains to pass slower trains. It couldn't be that hard to code this in.

With the passenger view, yea, I could do that...it would just be nice if they could code it so control can be done at from any view.

With the flyby, the camera isn't fast enough when the train goes over 100mph.

10. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

If you press the large pad on the PS4 the map comes up and you can change the points. If that does not happen with you you must have something set up wrong

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

I can hover over the points on the map and it says "change points" with an indicator to press the x button. Hitting x doesn't change the purple line nor does it change after resuming. Hmm, very weird!

12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

It simulates what a driver can do. If the points are manual (ie they have a ground lever) then that's simulated in game, if they're automatic or signaller controlled then this is what is simulated in game
    ie in real life drivers don't decide on what they drive and where, so the game won't let you suddenly decide to go the wrong way down a mainline etc

Controlling the train from passenger view is one thing, asking them to rewrite the entire dispatcher mapping system is another

13. solicitr

Exactly. Train drivers don't get in the cab and go "Hm, where shall I go today? I fancy Aberdeen, I think. Or maybe St. Ives?"

• Like Like x 1
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Or get on the WCML and decide whether to drive the fast or slow lines, or the wrong way up the DC lines from Wembley Central to WFJ dodging bakerloo trains as they go

• Like Like x 1
  15. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Create a custom scenario, enter train, put hammer down. Won't have any reds this way. Have fun with your crashes which you won't notice since the game just fades to black. It's not a train sandbox.

16. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Well it does for me, and everyone else in streams that I have seen.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

My pad wasn't working right. Managed to fix it.

Ok so I can switch the points, but what scenarios / timetable services / routes allow you to switch them and take different tracks? Because short of taking the train for a wash, which is already part for the scenario, or switching freight carriages etc...I can't find anything.

18. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

You're barely rewriting it. That's not how it's coded, pretty obvious from the get go. All I'm asking for is the FREEDOM to do what should be able to be done.

19. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

And more to the point, you can change points on track you can't ever get to....so even now it's working for me, it's...pointless.

20. solicitr

Sand Patch has a scenario which is essentially just a big sandbox- you can do what you like inside the yard.

21. stephen220378

stephen220378 Active Member

You can't crash trains simply because the companies DTG licence their use from will not allow it. Its the exact same reason you do not see realistic damage modelling / mechanical failures for licenced production cars in racing games.

22. bigguy

bigguy New Member

You can crash trains, its easy.

simply go through any red light, quickly press the options button when the ‘signal passed....’ message comes up and the game is about to be aborted.

save the game

go back to the main menu and restore the saved game.

then you can cause as much mayhem as you want as the game picks up from you passing the red light, you can go through as many as you want from that point on!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  23. solicitr

A train driver/engineer has no choice about where he goes. None. His route and schedule are determined from above; his only job is to make sure he gets there on time and safely. He can not pick his route!

The vast majority of switches in RL, and all mainline switches, are set remotely from a central dispatcher location (or, on old routes, by a signaler/switchman in a hut nearby taking instructions from central dispatch). Only in yards will you find manual switches-- and even there, in RL, they are usually set by yard staff, not the drivers.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  24. A Big Chungus

A Big Chungus Active Member

It's a simulator based more on running to a timetable, than a run your own railway simulator.

25. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

True, but in real life you don't get floating blue markers on a platform. It's a game.

26. solicitr

You can turn off those blue markers.