PlayStation Southeastern Couple Of Bugs - Class 395 Acceleration And Medway Explorer Services

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WonkySausages, Feb 6, 2021.

1. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

So the obvious one is - between St. Pancras & Ebsfleet, the HUD and Speedometer show KMH, but if you use the "Next Speed marker" (the ones that show a bubble at track level) then they show in MPH. Only threw me a couple of times though :D Just wondered in an upcoming patch would this be sorted.

2nd one is the Medway explorer services (if you have and use old BR diesels) the trains are back to front in that - if you use the external Front camera, it takes you to the rear of the train and vice versa. This also means, when you drive the train, the gradients are also opposite to what you're being shown! A downhill gradient means you're actually going uphill, and again vice versa. That said you still drive where you're supposed to be going and the doors open on the correct side if you use the classic button layout - (Immersion controls result in having open the doors on the wrong side), so it's definitely a weird one! Its like the your going forward, but the game thinks you're driving in reverse (hence the gradients being opposite - you're driving backwards up a downhill gradient)

Lastly just a query on the acceleration on a 395 Javelin when using 3rd rail/DC power. Is the acceleration really that bad/sluggish in real life? the train after about 50mph in full power notch 4, really struggles picking up any speed. I was on a 0.8% uphill gradient in full power (i forget where I was) it was an absolute struggle to get to the line speed of 70mph! Not the biggest issue in the world, but it does make you run late on the Faversham - Ebsfleet section of the line by a couple of minutes, even with late braking.

Overall though i really enjoy and like this SEHS expansion and look forward to upcoming patches to improve it more!

Cheers DTG for all you do :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

This also means the door release buttons on the controller are the wrong way round which makes it a bit confusing.

The class 20 has generally been a mess when it comes to directions, hud etc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Switching from kmH to mpH is due to the change in the power systems and thus also the security system, which e.g. also used by the TGV.

25kV are fed in via the overhead line, but only 750V via the power rail. The Javelin is designed for high speed and accordingly sluggish in local traffic.

4. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

i had to edit my post a couple of times. Yeah if you use Immersion to run these, you have to open the doors the wrong side, but the classic controls seem to work ok

5. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

yes for sure, what i'm saying is that the HUD and speedometer show KmH which is fine, but if you also use the track level "Next Speed marker" to warn you of upcoming speed restrictions, between St Pancras and Ebbsfleet they show in Mph, when they should show Kmh also. For example. The HUD will show 230 KmH limit approaching, but the track level next speed marker will show 143MpH

Also I get the whole 750 volts DC and 25Kv AC thing - again I think you're missing the point in the acceleration is just a bit TOO slow in the game compared to what it would do in the real world. To struggle past 60mph just doesn't seem "realistic" It only needs tweaking,

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve had this on one of the railtours but the doors opened on the wrong side at every station. I was driving my beloved Class 45. Sam had the same issue on his stream last night. Every time you stop it shows the signal behind you in the opposite direction too. It’s all wonky.

One handy hint for the gradients is, once you know they are showing the wrong way, if you look at the numbers they are correct, only the icon shows the wrong way. So a negative number is actually downhill. Still needs fixing though.

7. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

yeah, must say i didn't even notice that!

I'm wondering whether my issue on the DC acceleration is more to do with the timetables being too tight, or maybe a missing speed limit somewhere. I left Gravesend bang on time, did the line speed (70mph) to my next stop Strood, was 2 minutes late arriving, Along this piece of line is a fairly straight flat piece of track for a good couple of miles, and i was thinking, surely this should be more than 70 here :D either way somethings not quite on the money when you drive under DC/3rd rail power.

It's like you can only use Power level 4 and nothing else, and even then its a bit of a struggle, so i'm still leaning towards the acceleration needing a tweak. Honestly though I have no idea and hopefully the devs will find out whats wrong and why you always run late on the bits between Ebbsfleet and Faversham

just to point out, i'm not driving cautiously, I am quite experienced in TSW driving and would say i'm quite brave when it comes to braking, and nearly always open her up straight away on departing a station unless there's low adhesion of course!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I too think it's very sluggish on DC. The 375 accelerates faster.

9. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

Keeping on time is very difficult.

Like WonkySausages (great name, btw :)), I left the previous station bang on time at full throttle, yet was already late for Strood before I'd even applied the brakes! I did make some time up through the route and arrived at Faversham around 40 seconds behind schedule.

Some timetables like Bakerloo are tight, but achievable if you go full throttle and full brakes at the right time. This route though seems near impossible to get to certain stations in time (Strood being the main one). Either the time table is too tight, or the acceleration is too slow. If course, it could be that the time table in real life is unrealistic, but this would seem rather unusual.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Ok, I haven't noticed that yet, but it should be one of the typical mistakes ;-)

Don't know both trains in real traffic. But in order to operate both systems, you don't build two trains in one. The techn. Requirements are too different and here the focus is on high speed. Conversely, the 375's focus is on rapid acceleration in local traffic, for which it was built. Both at the same time are uneconomical. I also don't think that the 395 has a different timetable than the 375 in local traffic, that confuses too much. The result is arguably the lowest common denominator.

You have to compare the exactly tech. specifications as well as the requirement profile. An assessment as a passenger can easily be subjective. Surely only a 395 train driver can confirm it and at this point I would be interested in how DTG gets the data to feed their Simutrans. Maybe they were a little too conservative here?