PlayStation So What Is Sehs Actually Like?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by james64, Feb 4, 2021.

1. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'm itching to play this route, but I'm getting very conflicted messages from this forum. Some say the route is great, others say it's virtually unplayable. What is it actually like?

One of the issues I've heard that I'm most concerned about is the sound on the Class 395s. I've heard it uses the same sounds as the 375s? Sound is one of the most important things to me in TSW2, so this would be a major deal breaker if it was true. Other people seems to be saying it's too quiet?

Am I better off waiting for bugs to be fixed, or is there no harm in jumping right into the route now?

• Like Like x 2
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

This is a question only you can answer.

The route in this state, right now, in my opinion, is sub par and not worth €30.

But, given how much work DTG put in LGV after release I, for one, want to have faith in them and I believe they will make this route better, I'm not sure it will get to be a top-notch route (like HMA or SKA),but I still believe it will get better and will improve a lot.

Of course other people are not so optimistic and believe the route will be left to rot, like the Bakerloo line.

I would recommend to wait until the first patch (which is basically guaranteed to happen soon), at that point you can decide whether or not to buy it, because after that patch any further development of the route is unknown.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

How's the functionality on the 395? I've seen some saying it's extremely limited and basic, others saying there's tonnes of buttons to press and play about with.

• Like Like x 2
  4. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I figured that seeing as I'll be buying it either way, I'll get it now.

Having done both of the tutorials my only two problems with it are to do with the 395.

Firstly, wow. How is it so quiet? There's practically no noise at all. The issue isn't just that it doesn't sound like a 395 (I must confess I have trouble remembering, it's been quite some time since I've ridden one), but they didn't even add a generic EMU sound as a placeholder. How that got past quality control is a mystery (unless DTG has no quality control of course).

It also feels surprisingly sluggish under third rail power. When you get to around 50mph the train's acceleration really drops in a way I wouldn't expect of any EMU built in the 21st century. There didn't seem to be any sort of significant gradient either. Then again, I need to drive it more before making a full assessment.

• Like Like x 2
  5. www.ninjadiabel

www.ninjadiabel New Member

Znowu Wielka Brytania. W aktualizacjach jest tyle fajnych tras i wciąż te same kraje.

6. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

that's like your opinion man :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It's as much as functional as any other train IMO, the only thing that you really notice is missing is the destination computer, but the specific type isn't modelled so that's that, the TMS computer is non functional but that's the same as any other train, along with the platform CCTV screens, which again is probably a long way off being on any train.

Does it let you do absolutely everything? no, but what train in TSW does, not really sure what it is the few people i've seen bring up the lack of functionality want, that other trains have and this doesn't.

8. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

So, here's my opinion on SEHS for PS4.

Firstly, there are a few niggles.
    Lighting being one that others have mentioned.
    Scenery can be sparse on the HS1 part of the route.
    There's also the usual issue of scenery appearing late as you approach, particularly on the HS1 section.

The scenery on the slower part of the line is ok. The stations seem to be well modelled, as do the trains. There's also dynamic passenger information screens at stations so they update if running late which is a very nice touch and the level crossings on the route are fully working with lights and sounds. If you zoom ahead of your train, you can watch the lights start to flash, hear the klaxon warning and watch the barriers come down. All those things add to the realism and immersion of the game.
    The full route from St Pancras to Faversham takes just over an hour to complete with the 395 (Javelin). It has a relatively short high speed section from St Pancras (roughly 15 mins) and then it becomes just like another commuter route. The Javelin doesn't call at all stations on the line (main stations only like Strood, Rochester, Chatham etc).
    The 375 routes take roughly 45-50 minutes depending on stops etc.
    The power changeover at Ebbsfleet is a little tricky at first but once you've done it a few times, it's relatively easy and quick.
    The TVM system on the 395 is quite good and has been used previously on the LGV route.
    The train controls are a single power and brake handle and the usual buttons and switches (headlights, wipers, door controls etc). Not all buttons are useable but as CK95 said above, there are buttons and switches in other trains that aren't used or needed to be used by the player.

Is it a good route: Yes
    Is it playable: Yes
    Is it enjoyable: Yes
    Is it different: Yes
    Are there bugs: Yes
    Will these bugs be patched: Yes

I really enjoy playing this route because of the mix it provides between high speed and slower commuter runs.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Deltic00

Deltic00 Active Member

SEHS is a huge downgrade texture wise, im not sure why DTG have chosen to do this but these photos are comparisons between brick and platform textures between LGV and SEHS (I would also compare the wet platform textures too but SEHS doesn’t even have those). The black platform and white brickwork is from SEHS

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. imaginox9

imaginox9 Active Member

To be honest I enjoy the route a lot. Are there quirks ? Yes and Matt confirmed before release that they're already been looked after and a patch is coming soon. At least for the biggest bug (the lighting issue). Apart from that I don't have a lot of negative to say about it at all. It is quite enjoyable.
    To answer your concerns: the only Electrostar sounds you'll find on the 395 is just the power handle and the depot whistle (which wasn't there originally on Javelins, SE retrofitted them with depot whistles so they probably used the ones from the Electrostars irl, I don't know). The 395 is very quiet because the engines are located under coaches 2 to 5, so not where your cab is. The 395 is indeed way more sluggish on 3rd rail but Matt said that it was actually like that, and I believe him since 3rd rail can't match the performances of overhead catenary in real life as well. Also, the route runs very well on my base PS4 with all the layers on (East Coastway's Class 66 adds freight services, just one at the moment but Matt said that more are coming, and NTP's loco-hauled trains add 4 touristic services). So in my opinion, the route is worth it. Don't hesitate to watch various let's play videos of it on YouTube to help you make your mind ;)

Edit: typo corrected