PlayStation Aws/tpws Keeps Going Off For No Reason

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Trainmania100, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Spawned on foot at faversham,
    Back cab switched off, no key in.
    Front cab I have enabled dsd and TPWS and AWS.

I leave faversham and as soon as I pass under the leaving signal, the aws alarm goes off, power controller display goes red and train comes to a stop.

What's the problem please? I didn't get out of the seat, soon as I pass under the green signal, brakes applied.

I pressed DC / shoes down (2 secs), shoes down (1 sec) to reset the MSB

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. joseph.gov.uk

joseph.gov.uk Member

I am having the same problem.

3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This happened on my first run in the 395. A 12 car unit. Almost as soon as I set off I got an alarm and an emergency brake. I’ve only done two runs so far and the second one was in a 6 car unit and it didn’t happen. Same safety systems on both runs, TVM and AWS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Check the AWS and TPWS isolation switches in the rear most cab, if you've had them activated and got off the service and then hopped across to get one back to London, you'll find that the AWS and TPWS is active still and doesn't matter if the key is in or out, it will still go off.

Best practice is to disable when leaving the train.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Jordanb123

Jordanb123 Member

same issue here. I'm also experiencing an issue that is not TPWS where there no alarm is audible yet all safety systems are on. This happened when entering the Thames tunnel from Ebbsfleet side and when leaving st pancras. There is no way to reset this however, even after a full shutdown and a TPWS reset. Though I doubt its TPWS as it happens in areas where AWS is not present.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Trainmania100

I watched on the stream Matt playing around with a tvm switch near the cab door - is this in both end cabs? I tried to find this earlier and it kept selecting the door

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. jordan.owen1

jordan.owen1 New Member

I've had the same problem. Spawn on foot at Faversham, get going and as soon as I hit the TPWS grid, emergency brakes apply. Happened in 395 both 6 and 12 car units. All systems in rear cab turned off, all systems in front cab turned on!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. jordan.owen1

jordan.owen1 New Member

I'm on Xb1 btw

9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yup. You left the safety systems engaged in the first cab. Turn them off (before shutting off the cab!). Then turn back on in the second cab.

10. Trainmania100

Didn't turn them on in the back cab in the first place

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

This happens on multiple services starting at Faversham, whether you spawn on foot, use journey mode or go straight from time table mode.

Example on video here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/901877062?t=00h02m15s

The door you're selecting is the glass door covering the switches, not the main cab door. Select it and it'll pop open allowing access to the switches.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If this was the case the issue would keep repeating down the line but it just happens at Faversham, at least to me. It’s also not possible to have left anything on in the rear cab if you spawn in the leading cab at the start of the journey, like when it occurred when I had the issue, or spawn on foot like the other posters. Nobody here has said they have had the problem when changing ends.

13. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

The issue occurs when exploring on foot for me.

1F29 (spawn 10:55 at Faversham on foot): Alarm/emergency brake activates departing station with safety systems turned on in driving cab. Starting 1F29 in timetable does not trigger an emergency brake (safety systems turned on as before).

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. xblackwolf90

Interesting. I started mine in journey mode and experienced this issue.

I wonder if starting in timetable mode is fine, but any other way (journey or on foot) triggers the bug? I might try the same one I had the issue with tomorrow, but in timetable mode, to see if the issue surfaces.

15. Jordanb123

Jordanb123 Member

So I carried out a bit of research and these are my findings. All of these tests were carried out on the 1F41 service from Faversham to London St Pancras. Line ahead was clear every time and I was using the 3rd throttle setting.

1. started the service as normal with no AWS active (this was more of a control test) - no results
    2. started the service as normal again with AWS active - no results
    3. spawned at Faversham at 13:55 and took control of the train with AWS active - resulted in an emergency brake application

Hope this helps.
    Edit: I should also mention this was on PC

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I tried another and didn't get the issue on foot this time (train was already waiting at station). However, unlike my last service, it was not at platform 2 but on platform 3.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I had the issue when starting from Timetable mode. I don’t think it makes a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Boda09

Boda09 Member

Same happend in 1F43 Faversham - St Pancras from the journey

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Same happened to me with the 14.30 service to St. Pancras after spawning in timetable (not on foot) and enabling all safety systems in the front cab.
    After getting the train back moving it did not occur anymore. Wouldn't that be the case if anything in the rear cab was still activated?

Further down the line TVM got me when I was running late and therefore had a slightly high speed approach at Stratford. :D however the emergency brake there 'felt' exactly the same as the one in Faversham so is it possible that this is caused by TVM?

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  20. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

Is this any timetable service out of faversham?

I’ll give it a go on PC today and reply back to this thread with my findings.

21. xblackwolf90

Not all services are affected.

22. Geth_2234

ok I’ll give the 14:30 a go out of faversham as JonnE has mentioned.

Its probably TPWS reading a green as a signal at danger so applies the emergency breaks when you pass it, I’ll give it a go on PC today.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Same problem for me just now. All train protection systems active and just outside of Faversham on the 06:30 1F11 to St Pancras, the alarm goes off and emergency brakes (I had literally just pressed the acknowledge button a few seconds before).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Geth_2234

I’ve tested on PC with both the 6:00 service from faversham 1F11 and the 14:30 service from faversham 1F34 but it only seems to affect this 2 services for some reason. I worked out it seems to be down to the TPWS system, if you drive out of faversham with TPWS isolated the Emergency brakes do not get applied. I also tried pressing the train stop override button just before passing the signal but this doesent work but pressing the TPWS brake demand button after the emergency brakes have been applied will cancel the alarm.
    (Signal involved: EK4334)

steps to reproduce:
    1. Start either 1F11 06:30 or 14:30 1F34 services from faversham. (Only seems to affect select services)
    2. activate TPWS
    3.prepare the train and depart faversham and once you pass signal EK4334 the emergency breaks will get applied.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. imaginox9

imaginox9 Active Member

Also had my TPWS giving me an emergency brake for no reason while leaving my first station, but unlike all of you, it was with a 375 out of Gillingham going to Rochester.

• Like Like x 1
  26. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Hmmm for me its only been on one Scenario i had the problem lol

• Like Like x 1
  27. Geth_2234

Hmm seems to be faulty TPWS ramps everywhere, doesent seem to be a pattern either.

28. hoagy

hoagy Member

I have this too, in the 1F43 service (on PC). Emergency stop as soon as I cross the TPWS grids. Light is green, and I'm at crawling speed.

Repeating, without enabling AWS etc, works but obviously reduces the sense of reality.

29. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

I'm on xbox one and have been having the same issue, so thought I'd do a bit of investigation. I think I may have discovered a possible common element to the services affected by this bug, and it's to do with setting up the power supply.

Whenever I start a service, if I have to set up the power supply (hold d.c. button and press pan up shoes down), then the emergency brakes will hit after the signal.
    However, if the power supply is already set up and mcb closed, then the train will leave the station with no issue whatsoever.

It may be a huge coincidence, but every single javelin service I have started at faversham so far has followed this pattern.

I should point out that so far I have only tried services selected from the timetable, so services started on foot maybe different

In a few services where I had to set up the power supply, I checked every other cab, and every other safety system switch was isolated, but I still got the emergency brake.

I don't know if this is the direct cause of the issue but it could hopefully atleast be a clue to the actual cause of the bug

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  30. xblackwolf90

From playing a few more sevices, it would seem that services leaving from platform 2 have the safety system issue. When departing from platform 3, I have no problems at all.

31. Geth_2234

There's now a few threads on this bug, but I don't remember Sam mentioning it in the roadmap stream on Tuesday would DTG Natster or DTG Protagonist know if the team are aware or if a fix is upcoming?

• Like Like x 1
  32. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

DTG said not to ping them

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

I don’t think this is a error same happens at leaving gillingham on a 375 service it’s the so called cattle grids what you do is it press the TPWS override buttons on the javelin/375 before setting off this will prevent the brakes applying

34. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

There have been multiple reports of brakes applying for no reason on both locos on this route so hopefully dtg figure out what the problem is soon

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Geth_2234

I know I was just curious as to what was happening with it as DTG haven’t said anything about it.

36. Trainmania100

Same issue on a 375 service earlier today for me. Notably:

>Back cab safety systems were enabled dispite key out.
    > Left station about 40 secs early

• Like Like x 1