New Route- Midland Main Line-sheffield To Leicester

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by chris-penny, Jan 9, 2021.

?
  1. Sheffield-Leicester/Derby

28 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. St Pancras- Leicester and further

60 vote(s)
    68.2%
  1. chris-penny

chris-penny Active Member

It would be absolutly amazing if the Midland Main Line, Sheffield to Leicester, was in TWS2. It has so many aspects to it, so many trains and a really busy line. It is one of the most important mainlines in England, linking London with the north of England. It starts at London St Pancras, then up to Derby before branching off in two directions; one branch to Manchester, the other to Leeds. From about 2010 to present day nothing in terms of rolling stock has changed, except for EMT changing to EMR. I'm not too sure on line work. Because of rolling stock not changing much it would be cool to have both EMR and EMT liverys in the game.
    [​IMG]
    The principle oporater is East Midlands Railway(EMR). Their rolling stock consists of 3 main train classes: Class 43 HST(morning&evening services from and to leeds or the Nottingham fast service, usually 8 coaches)
    Class 222 Meridian(5 InterCity services every hour to and from London St Pancras, various carriage formations)
    Class 158 Express Sprinter(normal commuter services, various carriage formations)
    The Class 156 Super Sprinter is used but not as frequently. Quite rare.
    [​IMG]
    Class 222 Meridian(EMT livery) At Chesterfield going south towards Derby
    [​IMG]
    Class 222 Meridian(EMR livery) Arriving at Chesterfield
    [​IMG]
    Class 158 Express Sprinter departing Chesterfield train station. Two trains with both new EMR livery and stagecoach.

A really good way to start the route in TWS2 is anywhere from Sheffield to Leicester. From Sheffield to Leicester, it is roughly 58 miles(track distance). It would be really nice to see the whole 58 miles, going through Derby, but if not, Loughbrough is another good station as most trains stop there. As in Train Simulator, the route could also go from Sheffield to Derby as all trains stop/terminate there.
    There are a couple of depots, like Derby Etches Park(where EMR trains are serviced).
    There are frieght services too but they branch off at Tapton Jct, Chesterfield, to go around Sheffield city centre. So goods trains would have to either start/go to Tinsley, which will add more miles to the route- I would be really impressed and pleased if DTG could put a frieght service in.
    [​IMG]
    Leicester train station

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sheffield Train Station
    [​IMG]
    This sculpture is outside of Chesterfield train station. I noticed it wasn't in Train Simulator. As Chesterfield is my home-town, myself and other Chesterfielders would really appreciate it if it could be put in as you can see it from the train station and as a trains pulls in on platform 3.

This is a very beautiful route with a lot of scenary, as is pases through the country side and the last rolling hills of the Pennines. I would love this route to be in TSW and I think other northern/midlanders would agree.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 42
  2. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

This definitely needs to come to TSW! The scenery is varied and so is the trains that run on the line, they could even extend the route from nottingham to Lincoln.

• Like Like x 3
  3. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

At first i thought you ment the entire map as a suggestion but then i readed your Post and i actually suppot this post

• Like Like x 3
  4. chris-penny

Thank you. I really want this to be on TWS2. I put the whole Midlnd Main Line map just to give a good view of all the stations.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DriverTom700

DriverTom700 Member

I love the idea of the addon it sounds like an awesome one however, I think in order to cover the vast range of EMR timetable services possible, it would make more sense to do Leicester - St Pancras International because then as well as the 2 tph from Sheffield you'd then be able to have the 2 tph from Nottingham as well. Train stock wise you'd probably have a Class 66, HST, Class 222 and/or Class 700 there is also room to have the Class 180 and the Class 360 as separate future dlc.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  6. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Yes this MUST come to train sim world cause the train Simulator version by just trains you have to pay loads of money to get the full route, and it is only in sections.
    Also don’t forget the dwernt valley line

• Like Like x 1
  7. chris-penny

Yeah, I have the Train Simulator version but I think it would look even greater with TWS2 graphics.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

Fact, just look at Munich-Augsburg in old TS and TSW :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Good idea the only thing you made a mistake on is the sprinter it’s a Class 158 not a class 150 in the photograph

10. chris-penny

Ah yes. Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know why I put 150.:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. sophieclarke1983

That’s ok glad to help you

• Like Like x 1
  12. chris-penny

Yes that would be amazing! Lincoln station is really beautiful too.

• Like Like x 2
  13. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Sheffield to Leicester as the base route and then possible extensions from there in the future. Plenty of opportunities including:
    - Sheffield to Nottingham via Alfreton
    - Derby to Nottingham via Beeston
    - Nottingham to Leicester
    - Leicester to Bedford

• Like Like x 2
  14. Stueyboy43

Stueyboy43 Member

Yes yes yes Sheffield to Leicester! Lived around Derby and loughborough all my life and many memories of riding on the line and spending many hours on Derby platforms with my Dad spotting in the 80s and 90s.

• Like Like x 2
  15. sophieclarke1983

Definitely Stuart same with me and my old man in in the 80,s picnics at long Eaton train station whilst spotting lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. thatleedsguy#8590

thatleedsguy#8590 Active Member

Love this idea for a DLC. Great route and it'd be nice to see the modern renditions of Leeds and Manchester. Think the Class 222 and 158 should come with it. Maybe a third loco in the 700 a user mentioned earlier.

As for other locos they could offer as Add-Ons...really not too sure.

17. chris-penny

A lot of memories for me too as my house was right next to the mainline in Chesterfield.

18. dasmith1

dasmith1 Active Member

I would rather see EMR from St Pancras to Derby and Sheffield since SE is coming out in probably a months time then have the Sheffield to Leicester line in a separate Route Add-on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chris-penny

Cross Country Class 220 would be a nice add-on plus they have loads of services

• Like Like x 2
  20. redlichtie#1320

redlichtie#1320 Member

Could squeeze in Derby to Matlock. Also the feature of Chesterfield would be passing the crooked spire.

21. PatrykA350

PatrykA350 Member

Honestly I’m in love with the idea of featuring the MML. The mainline doesn’t get much treatment as the other two. Everyone always talks about the ECML or WCML but I never hear much about the Midland! I think adding this route is a great addition into the game! Something definitely worth considering. Thanks for bringing this up :) you have my full support.

• Like Like x 1
  22. chris-penny

Great to see someone with strong opinions for this route. Is there anything else you would add?

23. chris-penny

Yes absolutly. A key feature to have as you can see it from the railway.

24. will123325

will123325 New Member

I love this idea and it's not too dissimilar to the already popular Great Western Express in that during the time frame specified it's all diesel trains or atleast mainly. I hope this idea makes it through would love the MML:)

25. chris-penny

Yep all trains, especially north of Leicester, are diesel.

26. chris-penny

That would be great! Lincoln has a beautiful station too.

27. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I think the JT version is why this isn't coming to TSW anytime soon. DTG and JT work together some what and with JT only having put out the MML in the last year - it wouldn't be good form for DTG to do their own version so soon after JT's came out.

28. chris-penny

True but I'd still want them to consider it.

29. PatrykA350

PatrykA350 Member

I know it’s a stretch but I’d love to see a a further extension up to Leeds Via Bolton-upon-dearne, it just opens up opportunities for the occasional EMR services along with Cross-country services and of course northern. Think it would be perfect to finally get us a 220,195,158 or even a pacer as an optional add on. Just allows for some flexibility.

30. chris-penny

Yeah. I think if DTG does Leeds to Leicester it would make a lot more sense because I think a lot of trains go to and from Leeds, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  31. PatrykA350

PatrykA350 Member

Yeah, most go through Bolton UD and then some diverge to Doncaster and then carry on to Leeds or York. In my opinion going via there would be better than going via Barnsley as you get more traffic and higher speeds as, correct me if I’m wrong but I still think it’s part of the mainline. But thanks for showing support to my idea, honestly I doubted that anyone would’ve liked it.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

lincoln best catherdral in world

• Like Like x 1
  33. GA Railfan17

GA Railfan17 Active Member

Come on lets not forget The 2 Norwich Cathedrals, Both beautiful

34. Lightspeed

So how many services run on the midland mainline? It’s bound to be more than 100 surely. We have Intercity runs, Commuter runs and freight runs. So quite a bit of variety train wise.

35. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

In the top tier, but Salisbury is the winner.

36. Alex_m30x#7297

their nice but lincoln = the superior, it huge, built by romans, beatuiful all times of day and on a hill

37. Alex_m30x#7297

wrong
    Lincoln is superior it on hill, good all times of day and built by romans and beautiful

38. chris-penny

Yeah. There are loads of services. EMR has 5 services evryhour to/fromSt Pancras Int

39. chris-penny

Agreed

• Like Like x 1
  40. lewis tobin

lewis tobin Member

This is an amazing proposal and I would pay loads for this. Hopefully DTG read this and agree.

41. Lightspeed

I’m happy if they did Leicester to Lincoln or Leeds to Leicester. As the main depot for the class 222s are at Derby, it’ll be nice if for one of the scenarios, they start at dawn in the depot and do an Inter-City service involving a coupling up to another 222 at Nottingham station. Oh and more cold starts! Please?

42. chris-penny

That is a good idea but I was thinking on the mainline purely first then branching to other places such as Lincoln.

43. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the Midland Main Line on TSW, Sheffield is my home town station and deserves some TSW action. I'd like them to do Sheffield - Leicester but that's pushing it for TSW lengths at the moment (71miles). Going Sheffield - Loughborough is more than doable at 57miles.

44. chris-penny

My thoughts entirely. Yeah I don't live far from Sheffield either and I think the area does deserve some attention. In the stream on Friday, Sam said that there will be new routes in the roadmaps soon. So praying that it will be Sheffield to Derby.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  45. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed we see something.

• Like Like x 1
  46. mrquicko

mrquicko Member

I wouldnt enjoy this

47. Lightspeed

I think setting a portal at Leicester station heading towards London would be a nice start-end point for services and scenarios and another couple of portals at the end of Lincoln or Sheffield? Trying to think of what would be good stopping points for a journey...

48. 6233Jess

6233Jess Well-Known Member

Would love this. The Sheffield-Leicester section of the Midland Mainline is local to me, and have spent many days on the platforms and travelling. Particularly with the interesting station designs at Sheffield, the statue of Stephenson and the famous twisted spire at Chesterfield, Etches Park and the Railtech Centre at Derby and finally Ratcliffe Power Station at East Midlands Parkway before the locomotive depot at Leicester.

Really does offer a lot of points of interest and a variety of services, as others have said.

And a slightly more personal note, the Class 222 Meridians are possibly one of, if not my favourite units. I really hope this does come to Train Sim World sooner rather than later, but better later than never.

• Like Like x 1
  49. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

A Class 222 would be perfect for a Sheffield - Leicester route, it's not my avatar for no reason ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  50. chris-penny

Same here!:D