PlayStation My Major Bug Bear Hiding Non Playable Parts Of The Route In Map View

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by antony.henley, Feb 6, 2021.

1. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist
    DTG Natster

Please can you put forward to Matt P to stop hiding the non playable parts of the map in map mode. Personally for me it takes out some of the appreciation on how good the route looks. The route builders have spent 6+ months making the route only for 10 - 15% of it to be covered up and not to be seen.
    It doesn't spoil my overall view of the route when they were uncovered.
    Look at GWE, MSB and RSN as well as some of the other German routes Pre Oakville Sub (where you butchered the industrial zone map and ruined the overall look because a few people whinged as they couldn't access the track behind the invisible barrier), those routes look great and full. Look at the HMA route in the map view on how full and big that looks. Now look at the map on the Bakerloo, LGV Mediterranean and now the SEHS routes. The maps look awful and now look like a 5 year old has drawn a squiggly line in the map view it just looks awful, and to be honest the map does not represent the route fully.
    You go over and under and run next to railway lines as well as having lines spur off left and right in the game, and on the map they don't exist. Please stop covering over the lines on the map. Uncover them in the map, Show the route in its entirety as it was built.

It also looks stupid how an AI train appears from thin air (instead of a portal with signals) onto the route.
    Can we have the routes uncovered in map mode please?
    For example the track below I am standing on (just north of Ebbsfleet) exists in the game and map. The track where the 375 is traversing across the bridge exists in the game but not on the route map .

ebbsfleet375.jpg

New people to the game may look at that and be intrigued as to where the train is going or coming from. So they, look on the map and its not there. Its great to see the other AI trains going about their business before they eventually reach their portal and finally disappear off screen. But with the routes where the maps have been covered over it ruins the overall appreciation for the route.

Regards

Hentis

• Like Like x 13
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I agree, the map should represent all lines visible on the route. Perhaps the ones we don't actually use in the game could be a different colour. Station names would be a great help too. I had my first taste of the Sand Patch on buying TSW2 and the map consists of a squiggly line, not much help at all.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

I agree with what both of you have said here, due to some wet wipes the maps look silly I’d rather have full maps with all the line that route designers/ builders have built from scratch to give their hard work to be seen

• Like Like x 2
  4. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

The colour thing is a good idea. Show all the track on the map and any lines that aren’t drivable by players could be coloured grey. A key would need to be added to the map screen though so it doesn’t get confusing for new players.

• Like Like x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The thing is, the 2D map is autogenerated based on all the track in the route. All the REAL track, that is, track that trains can run on. A lot of the unused track you see in game is nothing but a picture of track, no more "real" to the game than the trees and buildings are.

• Like Like x 1
  6. antony.henley

No as They removed the track from Oakville industrial Zone when people complained that they couldnt use it. They have been doing it ever since and it ruins the overall look and feel to the map and route.

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Yeah, this has been bugging me quite a lot, it's quite a step back from how it was before... and no, I don't care if I can't use all the track that is on the map. Showing other lines merging with the route gives a sense that you are driving on a part of a larger network, not just a single isolated route and it definitely adds to immersion. The LGV map is horrible in that regard, just one line the entire way without any branches near Avignon and Marseille is just completely butchered.

No, that is real track that they have to manually remove off the map.

• Like Like x 2
  8. antony.henley

So I managed to walk this far off the track on SEHS. As you go from Rochester - Strood. It's the line to London Victoria. Actually it was about another 20 meters that I managed to walk before the invisible barrier nailed me lol.
    I just really wish that they left the maps uncovered / with the out of use track available to be seen.

Regards

Hentis

20210207_143714.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. jackmc2007

jackmc2007 Active Member

I agree, why start doing this for TSW 2? All of the routes we had for TSW2020 (apart from oakville) we had a map that looked more populated and wasnt some squiggly line. Take RRO, coming out of Hagen on the freight and RE lines there is a line that goes off to the right that isnt player accessible, thats still on the map. Personally I think the maps look rubbish now.

Jack

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I agree updating the map is something that could do with improving.

I will of course pass along your feedback, but as for promising if it will be implemented that isn't something I can guarantee.

If it were to be added we would definitely need to make it clear what areas are not accessible parts of the map, and a different colour is a nice suggestion.

• Like Like x 8
  11. solicitr

At the very least, Natalie, PLEASE let us have station labels!

• Like Like x 2
  12. antony.henley

While I agree with that, matt has said that the map will need to be overhauled for that to be happen. But covering over non traversed tracks started happening about a year ago with Oakville sub.

Regards
    Hentis

13. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

There's another thing I noticed with the tracks that are shown on the maps. Namely, they interlock without regard to the different levels when there are tracks that cross over bridges or through tunnels. You can't rely on the map to tell how it is. It really doesn't look technically correct, but downright braided.

• Like Like x 1
  14. antony.henley

Not so much upgrading of the map DTG Natster , more like Dont cover up the non driveable parts.Leave them alone :)

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

We had a map.
    It wasn’t good enough.
    So we made it worse.

It makes no sense as to how the drivable route relates to part of a network if you truncate lines on the map that are still there in the game (AI trains use them and we can walk along them, or see them etc.) just past the bit that connects. As long as the maps aren’t used in live streams to promote a route and pretend everything is accessible then there is nothing wrong with keeping the branches on there. That was the issue that led up to this change, not the maps themselves. Now the maps make no sense at all. Of course all that lovely labelling can help with orientation. Oh wait, no it can’t. Please at least go back to how they were for now until real useful maps are created.

• Like Like x 2
  16. solicitr

I'm not entirely sure why the informative maps of TS20xx can't be replicated in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  17. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

The maps need a lot of work to be of any use.

My wish list would be:

Station names and Visible platforms with numbers

Directional signals so you know which direction the signal applies

The line that shows where your train is going is not affected by points. Like in TS Classic, the line should follow the points and stop if it goes against a point set the other way.

Finally I’d like this updated map to be accessible in the scenario planner so you can see the route properly including what platforms/sidings your train will enter and leave from as I don’t know all the numbers of every station.

• Like Like x 3
  18. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree with pretty much everything here. The maps in tsw2020 were way better and can they please add the station names in the map.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

There's never been a good answer to this that i've seen.

20. antony.henley

21. antony.henley

I believe Matt said during a stream a few months ago about the map needing a overhaul. But thats not really going to happen to be fair.

Hentis.

22. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Maybe the map should've gotten an overhaul when tsw2 came out since it's "a new game"