116 Brake/throttle Lever

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DeBrief, Mar 12, 2018.

1. DeBrief

DeBrief New Member

I may have named it incorrectly, sorry - just waking up. When driving the 116, braking gets progressively more aggressive with the different braking stages. What do the varying settings for forward movement change? I've just been putting the lever all the way forward to get going. Do the lower settings provide more torque? They don't seem to control (or at least I haven't noticed) the top speed of the train. In other words - what advantage is there to using a lower power setting?

As stated in previous posts, I'm new to the train sim genre...I have to say, this forum seems "friendlier" than some I've been on. So thanks in advance for helping a noob!

2. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Hey Debrief, the "gearing" on the C166 is just like the gearbox of a car to be honest. I find pulling away from the station in either 3 or 4 works best, with the higher gears being used when on high speed running. I use gears 5+ when going above 50mph to pull the speed up to 75+.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DeBrief

DeBrief New Member

Thank you! But it's more of a torque gearing, as opposed to speed gearing, is that correct?

4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

The 166 is diesel hydraulic (until 64 mph where it goes to a single gear mechanical transmission) meaning the throttle settings have absolutely nothing to do with gearing at all. Just engine power; more throttle is more torque. (period) Doesn't matter how fast you are going now, if you want to speed up more, increase power. Only reason to not go to notch 7 from the start is that it may be too much torque for comfort.

• Like Like x 4
  5. DeBrief

DeBrief New Member

Thanks! That makes sense.