Br 103 Loco Add On

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lamplight, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Hello there!

If you have ever dealt with German trains at all, you will probably be familiar with this beauty: Br 103

uk_deu_db_103-184-8_04_g.jpg

When these entered service in the 1970s, they were the most powerful single unit locos in the world. They pulled heavy passenger trains usually up to 200 km/h but are unfortunately quite rare today. This raises the question of how I imagine these could be implemented. I will briefly discuss two different ways of doing that.

1.) A route set in the past

The routes in TSW are set mostly somewhat contemporary but we do have at least one route set in the past: NTP. Something similar could be done here. I don't think this is likely to happen, but it would be an opportunity to include (or sell as loco DLC) a variety of German locos rarely seen today. These are for someone else to discuss, however, as I would like to focus on the Br 103. She could be featured in her original livery, which was used to the mid-80s:

uk_deu_db_103-184-8_09_g.jpg

Alternatively, you could also feature her in "orientrot":

uk_deu_db_103-101-2_01_g.jpg

There are some other variations of paint schemes which are in my opinion unlikely to be featured. You can easily look them up though.

2.) Modern use, RailAdventure

The privately-owned company RailAdventure has 103 222-6 in its roster.

lok-103-222-6-rail-adventure-881445.jpg

I have to admit that I am no expert where RailAdventure is concerned, but as far as I know, 103 222-6 is used for delivering rolling stock or new engines where they need to go as well as in special event passenger trains. Occasionally, she can be seen hauling regular freight trains.

103-222-6-railadventure-33440a1f-30c2-40c5-af08-65712c8f795d.jpg

My suggestion is this: 103 222-6 could be added to any number of German routes. She could replace the original freight engine for that route in services (like the 155 can replace the 182 etc.) and for the route she comes with, she could get a few extra services (maybe one or two) delivering rolling stock we already have such as Dostos or Talent 2s for example. Special RailAdventure branded rolling stock (freight or passenger cars, both exist) could be included and used in scenarios but is not essential.
    If Dovetail is feeling generous, 103 222-6 could also replace the upcoming Br 101 in services. While not necessarily prototypical for RailAdventure, it would give us the opportunity to relive this engine's glory days, especially considering that this specific loco is allowed to run at 280 km/h instead of the 200 km/h of her comrades.

I think 2.) is way more likely to happen then 1.) but there are two problems I would like to acknowledge:
    1. Licensing; Dovetail would need to get RailAdventure licensing which they currently don't have.
    2. One Unit: RailAdventure only has the one Br 103 which I imagine would make research (reference pictures, especially the cab as it has been refurbished and sound samples) quite difficult.
    In conclusion, I think Br 103 is one of Germany's most iconic locos and could be a perfect addition to the TSW library. If you have any thoughts on this matter, feedback or any additions, please, feel free to share them in this thread. I am curious about what people think of this suggestion.

Cheers

• Like Like x 21
  2. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I'd LOVE to see the BR 103. Since we'll be getting some IC-Coaches soon, having a BR 103 as an InterCity sounds like the best german DLC ever! And since we have the LZB tech, it's a perfect addition.
    Personally I think we have many modern german vehicles. So it's time to go to the past and have some iconic locos. I'm already very glad that the BR 420 is in development by TSG. Older german rolling stock is a great idea.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gregorby

gregorby New Member

I totally agree abuot the Idea of a BR103, but I disagree about your prediction.
    In other words I would love to see a historic german route! Having steam into development it seems likely to see a german steam loco one day. For that we would also need a historic route.
    With that or the upcoming multiple timetable support (GWB) there is a possilbity to give the 103 a "natural habitat". Still there were one or two 103 still in regular use sometime ago, but more like museum train, wanting some run, to not rost. So a substitution with the Br 101 in a 0.02% chance or a bit more, could be possible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I do agree that a historic 103 is a lot more likely today. I posted this thread before the release of the Br 363 and the anouncement of TSG‘s work. With quite a bit of older rolling stock on its way/already released and selling well, there‘s hope :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I thought. So we don't know (yet) which steam loco will be developed first. I guess a british one. But I also think it's very possible to have german steam loco after that at some point. So we need a hirstoric german route (or a musuem route), which we don't have. And having some older german rolling stock like the BR 103 at the point the german steam loco is released is *possible*, because they can create a layer for that. So I think we might get a historic german route with the steam loco + layers for other older rolling stock released at that time. What a dream!!