Train Sim World 2 - Bringing Steam To Tsw2

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jan 12, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's on the roadmap. Look it up.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Not only huge, unofficially the fastest steam locomotive ever made. They never did a proper speed test, but it is claimed these could reach up to 225 km/h (compared to A4's official 203 km/h). A new one is being built and might take the crown officially once it's finished.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks. Missed that completely. Just checked and yes. Is on the Jan-12 one. Is already in production . They are in a hurry, even skipped the planning phase ;-)

Great news for TSW, but bad news for TS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

From one a few — they are easily recognized and ignored - lots of well reasoned and polite discussions where if there are interlopers - they are ignored.. Now if you want caustic forums — go to Cyberpunk’s — amazing

• Like Like x 3
  5. amigacooke

amigacooke New Member

TSW 2 embraces steam at last. Good news! :love:

• Like Like x 3
  6. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Another thing I look forward to, which I'd expect to come along with steam freight is the introduction of break vans in TSW. Hopefully there will be some interactions with them in shunting tasks.

• Like Like x 5
  7. cjyeatman

cjyeatman New Member

Given steam lococ are massively more difficult to drive than diesels I hope there is an "easy" mode and "full realism" mode. A comment on the current offering: why only one save file for the entire game? Utterly infuriating.

• Like Like x 2
  8. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I'd argue that they aren't "massively more" difficult. You still have a throttle, brakes, sand, speedo, the only real difference is the reverser cut off. The rest is just mechanical linkage vs electronics / air / oil pressure.
    With this in mind, I think the Derail Valley steamer does a pretty good job (albeit with worse graphics) as a steam experience, with the excellent cut off mod.

Steamers certainly look more dramatic and animated of course.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

It also opens up the opportunity for unfitted goods trains, where the guard is partly responsible for the braking of the train from the brake van and pinning down brakes on individual wagons at the top of a gradient. This would be great to see in TSW one day, though I imagine it would be quite complex to implement but it would be interesting to be able to be a guard on such trains.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Maybe we can also have variable dirt and grime, so trains get layers of it building up on them and can be cleaned and then get dirty again as they work.

• Like Like x 6
  11. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I think it was in planning but not published as such. It seems to have been revealed to have been “Sam’s Secret”.`

• Like Like x 2
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s assuming you don’t have to do the fireman’s job at the same time. If the AI looks after your steam supply then you are in with a fighting chance of being able to drive a steam loco well. I’m assuming all steam locos come with lapped brakes and there are no dynamic brakes for descending steep grades. These aspects will also add extra difficulty to the driving task.

That leads me to a question of how steam trains descend steep grades.

• Like Like x 2
  13. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

No dynamic on a steamer of course, but the driver could make use of the cut-off to act as a "pseudo-dynamic".
    Also, it depended on how much brake force you had for a given gradient, how many (if any) wagons had brakes (this also applied to diesel hauled unfitted trains). Too few, and the driver would have to stop at a designated point at the crest of a climb and the guard would walk down and apply enough handbrakes to allow the driver to maintain full control on the descending grade.

The guard also made good use of his brake van wheel brake to keep the couplings stretched, avoiding any slack action in the couplings.
    Of course, keeping slack action to a minimum by either stretching or bunching the couplings is foremost in a modern freight drivers mind also!

• Like Like x 2
  14. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

Not sure what’s been said here already but I’ve been thinking, since steamers are more complex, there will need to be lots of good tutorials and a manual for each loco. I’ve seen how many valves are on the control panel, and I’d love to learn how to use them properly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

Know what would be awesome? Track pans to be able to drop the tender scoop and collect water on the move without needing to refill at a stop. Combine that with some of the larger steam locos that have an automatic fireman set up and I could see it being plausible to drive.

And I know I keep saying it but steam really isn't my thing at all, however if we get some oldschool routes with older signals and interlocking towers that would be so amazing! I want banjo signals and semaphores!
    2021-01-17_09-19-41.jpg 2021-01-17_09-21-27.jpg

It can't be worse than trying to learn the stupid TGV duplex, I still can't drive that thing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I think Train Simulator did a pretty decent job on making steam locomotives realistic enough while still relatively easy to operate. Getting a steam locomotive to move isn't that hard. Making everything work efficient, keeping your boiler pressure perfect, while not wasting too much coal and water, now that's a challenge.

As for braking, the brakes steam locomotives pretty much work similar to the brakes found on the Class 101.

• Like Like x 2
  17. bail60163

bail60163 New Member

Not really. Every engine brakes differently and a steam engine creates it's break either by a crosshead driven pump, or via a steam ejector that the driver controls. As the train gets longer, the brakes take longer to release. A DMU uses 2 line vaccum as oppose to single line which the steam stick uses. It's hard to describe but it's all about feel. If you go on TS classic and drive the BMG Bulleid Pacifics, you'll get a perfect representation of how it should feel... In fact, his engines are pretty perfect in every way. TSW has to top that realism and quality for me to be satisfied.

• Like Like x 1
  18. IfICanDream

IfICanDream Active Member

This announcement was a huge surprise for me. I love it. Can’t wait!!

• Like Like x 3
  19. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

i always thought TSW2 *was* the engine upgrade, but I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong

• Like Like x 2
  20. OsamaBinLiftin

OsamaBinLiftin Active Member

The grass is always greener in the new UE engine...

• Like Like x 3
  21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I never was a big fan, but can't wait \o/

• Like Like x 3
  22. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the proposed route/ loco for this. Preferably I'd like to see a route set in the 20s, 30s, 40s, early 50s on a line where the locos can get up to a decent speed. I wouldn't want to see a heritage route as the first one but wouldn't mind one in the future. I'll try not get my hopes up largely as this is completely new territory for TSW2 and there may be some bugs although the new version of Unreal may help with that.

• Like Like x 1
  23. vogelm10

They won't make a new route...it'll just be an add on for a tourist line.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Could be. They're making a whole new timetable for GWE with their BR Blue DLC, so I guess they could do the same trick for a route like WSR to change the diesel gala into a steam gala.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I think they’ll at least make a UK steam route for the update. Steam is not only a major update to the game but one of the most important milestones in rail history. If there’s a time for DTG to go big with an update, it’s for Steam.

• Like Like x 4
  26. vogelm10

I hope I'm wrong and they do make a new line, they've gotten much better at making routes now.

• Like Like x 2
  27. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The irony in complaining about salt while leaving comments like this...

• Like Like x 1
  28. rcdevisser

rcdevisser Active Member

The moment I heard about it was quite recently. The moment I red the head of the article. My first thought: "Something new is coming to the steam platform" instead of the expectation of the announcement of the coming of the steam locomotive. Tears came to my eyes after reading the announcement

Now when the steam locomotive is coming then please make is possible to operate the engine in different;modes of difficulties.

The engine itself: All doors must be operational even at the tender. All pistons must be in motion. Even the reverser cranks when operating the reverser showing the up or downwards motion according the direction to travel that sets. Many engines in TS20xx this is not working and remains in neutral position while the engine travels and the driving pistons are in motion.

Prior to start a scenario, time table, you must have the ability to choose the mode you like to drive.
    The mode is here underneath mentioned

43_hei10 - kopie.jpg

Beginner mode:
    Automatic fireman.for both water level and firing/shovelling (Dynamic firing)
    Boiler pressure 220 psi or 16 Bar.

Valves: all are set and operated by the AF.
    Brake is pressurized
    Fire in perfect condition. (75%)
    Water at least 75% in the boiler.
    Cilynder cocks open
    Fuilled tender,
    Lubricated
    Dampers open,
    Blower haf open

400-D 38 1182_Luftpumpe.jpg

Student Mode
    Automatic fireman.for firing/shovelling only (Dynamic firing)

Boiler pressure 180 psi or 14 Bar
    Valves: all are set and operated by the AF.except the air pump, waterfeeder pump and blower.
    Brake: Handbrake only is on
    Fire in average condition. (60%)
    Water at least 45% in the boiler.
    Tender 60% water and 60% coal
    The lubricator pump must be filled.
    Steam generator off
    One poor working injector
    Dampers open,
    Blower closed

Aslagerreparatie.JPG

Junior engineers mode

Automatic fireman.off
    Boiler pressure 160 psi or 13 Bar
    Brake: Handbrake only is on
    Fire is in average rest condition (40% )
    Water at least 45% in the boiler.
    Tender 40% water and 40% coal
    The lubricator pump must be filled.
    Steam generator: off
    One poor working injector
    Dampers closed,
    Blower closed

eisen26_m.jpg

Senior engineers mode

All required actions needed to fire up an steam locomitve must be carried out.
    All checks and pre-checks must be carried out as it was in real life and now to be found on heritage railways.

Automatic fireman is off (presision firing) it can neither become activated in the Senior Engineers Mode as well.

Fire grate divided in 9 small equalized sections to the use of the numpad 1 to 9
    Shovelling takes place by pressing Ctrl and Numpad number

Example After opening the Firebox The keystroke Ctrl-numpad number or Ctrl-Shift and numpad number shovels coal directy in the spot region that is related to the numpad. Keep the keystroke pressed to shovel on that spot until the keystroke is released

An example number 2 is right uinderneath the fire door, and number 8 is at the front side of the boiler just under the fire arc. This sets up the shovelling style according a "Donut" shaped fire.

Whit this precision firing method you are able to throw coal on the spot of the fire grate wherever you like to have the coal on the requested or desired spot.. This is the real way of firing like in real life. .

Boiler pressure 140 psi or 11 Bar
    Brake: Check Shoe's only.
    Steam generator: Off
    Fire is in poor rest condition.(20%)
    Water at least 25% in the boiler.
    Water glass check separately.
    Clean the water glass by conducting a "small blow down" operation.
    close the valves and open the boiler valves to see if the water glasses are working and the water rises in the glass.
    Tender 30% water and 30% coal
    The lubricator pump must be filled. and manually operated to get the oil through the pipes and hoses adn check if iil comes out the control valves.

The oil containers lubricating the wheel axles underneath the engine must be filled up with the proper oil (viscosity). This means you must crawl under the locomotive to fill each oil container that lubricate the slider bearers and roller bearers
    All levers and valves even the tiniest valves must be in a closed position once starting op the engine and must all be opened separately by manual operation.

Boiler Blow-Down valve operational. Wash out plugs operational
    To wash out a boiler this plug in the bottom of the boiler must be removed to wash out the boiler with a hose and high pressurized water or steam.
    The water pump and/or air pump lubricator reservoir/container must be filled and manually operated to lubricate the water- and/or air pump. with the proper oil (Viscosity) and only If applicable (depending the type of locomotive)
    Wheel taps, Pistons taps and cranks taps must be lubricated seperately and manually with an oil can.
    On each reservoir: Open the lit, fill the reservoir with the right type of oil (Viscosity differences could cause malfunctioning)
    Close the lid tight with a spanner
    One poor working injector water flow is cut off
    Dampers closed,
    Blower closed.
    Smoke box needs to get ashed-out.

Opening smokebox Manually throw the coal into the ash-pit or into a wheel barrow to deposit the ash to an ash heap.
    Ash-pan needs to be cleaned by opening the bottom and opening the side hatch to wash out by the use of a hose with water or steam pressure.

Workshop mode

In this mode you should have the possibility to choose the time it takes.
    For TSW2 it would be great to have these pre-checks and the time to fire up the engine in about 45 minutes.
    Normally for an average engines (Pacifics) it takes at least 6 hours before some pressure comes up.

Automatic fireman; off
    Boiler pressure 1 psi or 0 Bar
    Brake: Check Brakes only
    Fire is nearly extinguished but smolding coals are present (2% )
    Water at least 10% in the boiler.
    Tender 10% water and 10% coal
    All valves, gauges, levers and buttons are cutted off (Engine is in "cold and dark" mode)
    All pre-checks must be carried out. Once done the fire can now be litted.
    The boiler must be filled. The water level must show about 25% in cold mode.

To lit the fire. First wood must be added to the fire grate. Once the fire grate and fire box is filled with about 25% of wood the fire must then be lit. drain some old cleaning rags in gasoline on the top of the shovel and lit the rags with a burning match. (Shift-Z) Aiming on the rags

I have not mentioned all required issues that needs to be done on a real engine, but the most issues are mentioned yet.
    If I have forgotten something please feel free to contribute as well.

----

I want the real steamer virtual on my TSW2 with all minor and major controls operational. No concessions. but all lever, gauges, valves, buttons, locks etc. howsoever must work according to the original engine.

Depending the mode you like to drive in the most difficulkt way of operation like the Senior engineer mode or workshop mode then for example if an engine got 50 valves, 30 levers, 20, buttons, 40 oil containers and 60 gauges, then all 50 valves, 30 levers, 20, buttons 40 oil containers and 60 gauges must be operational and no part remains static and non-working like it is in TS20xx at most engines.

Will Eventually pay DTG the well derserved value to a steam locomotive as it comes to TSW2 all levers, gauges etc, working, Will steam and smoke really be visible like a steamer that runs in freezy conditions outside..............? and the steam and smoke remains visible miles away blowing cinders, embers and sparks as the steam giants climbs the mighty steep slopes hauling numerous freight trains and pasenger trains like a German Br44, An 9F Evening Star, or a UP Big Boy name an engine and you get along with it.

Best regards,

Br011531.jpg

R.C. de Visser

Steamtrains Unlimited

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  29. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Best of luck with getting DTG to implement even half of these things.
    Mike.:)

• Like Like x 3
  30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s more likely to be something like this...

Beginner - Forwards and backwards, faster and slower.
    Normal - All driver controls, automatic fireman
    Expert - All driver controls plus adding coal and water, blower on/off, that kind of thing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think shutting off the auto fireman is unrealistic, simply adding difficulty for difficulty's sake. All real-world steam engines have a fireman; the driver isn't shoveling coal!

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

You’re right you can’t do these two things at the same time it’s like being the train driver and the train guard imagine leaving the cab at easy stations to open/close the doors then drive off etc...

• Like Like x 2
  33. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Maybe at the service selection screen you could be given the option to play as the driver or the fireman. Both are interesting and demanding roles and it would be nice to try your hand at both.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

No article in February then. Still it is early days and not much to show presumably.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Is there any evidence to suggest that steam engines will come with selectable modes, such as "beginner", " simple ", " expert " etc. Personally, I wouldn't want such "arcade" type gameplay and I'm glad that it doesn't exist in the current iteration of TSW2. Call me a snob if you like, but "dumbing down" the game isn't the way to go, in my opinion. Auto fireman is fine, for the reasons stated earlier, but not click one button, sit back and go. This is still a simulator, after all.

36. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Sam and Matt have said many times on streams that they need to make steam trains accessible to players of all levels without alienating any others. I can’t see how that can be done without different modes, but how many modes I couldn’t say. Sam has also said that he is very eager to get a go/stop type control, like the model train controls in Trainz, into TSW for even very young kids and people who aren’t interested in realistic controls could play and enjoy the trains. When adding a UI interface to select an auto fireman for instance, that could be an opportunity to add more simplistic controls across the board, as an option. Nobody who wants to control the train fully should even have to worry about that being an option in the game as I don’t see a time when DTG would dumb down the current level for the most experienced player. That would still always be present.

• Like Like x 2
  37. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

I think a "standard" mode for TSW2 would be a plus.
    Those who don't want to take themselves seriously while driving, just an "on - off" mode to drive a bit like on TS2021.
    There are probably people who don't take the game because of it.
    My little nephew doesn't want to play on TSW2 because of that although he loves the game and the graphics more than TS2021.
    But as it is too hard for him he does not want to play TSW2, so he has to stay on TS2021.

For the steam locomotive I think we will have to do this stuff, even I don't want to have to drive realistically with a steamer.
    I want the steam like everyone else here but I want to see it rolling, not spending my time trying to make it move ....

• Like Like x 1
  38. rcdevisser

rcdevisser Active Member

It is very important to have both realistic driver and fireman together. The player must decide if he/she wants to use the driver mode and or the firemans mode as described above. I would not think of purchase a steam locomotive without advanced features as mentioned and many steamers with me. No way to have a drive "only" on a steam locomotive. In TS20xx there are a several examples of driving and firing at the same time like the Britannia and Clan class, the S160 and the FEF-3. I would like to see BMG's Black 5 to be the first with the and even more sophisticated and advanced features as I had mentioned. But the drivers mode must become part of it so every body can decide which drivers mode he/she wants to drive.

All procedural features a fireman is working must be carried out in the oncoming first steamer of TSW and no concessions to it.
    By doing this it will be the perfect way of learning how to drive because If at some point you get the hang how to drive you will even go further. Studying the technical aspects of the steam locomotive gives more insight in the working of the engine,. The more you know the more expertise you will get and even the more sophisticated way of driving you want.

It is important to have all features together. Young kids can start driving with the most simplified controls like a stop and go as it is with "Trainz" Personally I will not waste my money for some simple or standard steam locomotive if there is no possibility to have the same engine in the most thinkable specialized, advanced way of driving.

We steam fanatics / enthousiast have now wait way too long for a possibility to have an advanced engine straight 1:1 to the real example with all levers, gauges, handlebars, valves, hatches, nipples, notches, cinders, embers, sprinklers, chains, rods, pistons, screws, buttons, springs, safety pins, etc, ect truly working as it should conform reality.
    It is a shame if all this mentioned materials, devices and controls should work partly or just being present in a static way. It just must work as for real.
    Now TS20xx exist for a long period right now, but there is still no engine containing all advanced and specialized features 1:1 as it is in real life. You do not drive a steam locomotive you are "riding" a steam locomotive as a living creature the Old Iron Horse.
    This Thrill, Feeling, Taste, Environment, Atmosphere and Ambiance will not be and can not be recreated or copied on diesel or electric engines ever. That's why it is so important to have the choice how to drive the engine your way. From the most simple way to the most realistic and advanced way. Just tick the mode while choosing the steam locomotive. And it is a battle to get to that level and to achieve a special Platinum Medal (a New medal only to win in the different grades when driving steam.

It is therefore one of the greatest reason I wrote the guide "Driving the steam locomotive and the technical aspects" and is available in the steam community workshop. Read it and bring it into practice. Still referable with TS20xx but the referable target is to have you at the controls so you can "Ride like a Master" and just being a engineer driving diesel or electric.
    Being a steam driver is a life, a calling, settled in your blood and nerves and is not simply a profession.

So the choice is up to you: Do you want to "drive" a steam locomotive or do you want to "ride" a steam locomotive.............?

• Like Like x 2
  39. carmadman

carmadman New Member

When will steam trains be ready to put in the game?

40. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Hopefully at the start of next year

41. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I'd guess whenever it is ready that they'll lump it as part of/the major update which we usually get in August/September and it'll be the headline route dlc for the update too. Which year..? This year is extremely unlikely, next year, maybe, who knows..

This is all based on nothing but my own opinions.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  42. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

Some years ago in my Sinclair Spectrum days I bought "Southern Belle" which was a full run from London to Brighton including all stations in between.
    It had very limited scenery but the controls were all there
    There were options for full control of stoking, injectors etc right down to throttle and brakes only
    not forgetting the whistle.
    Even with all the compromises for the lack of performance of the Spectrum
    I did find it enjoyable to play
    Anyone else?

• Like Like x 1
  43. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

It has been confirmed for release on the 32nd of maybruary two thousand and some.

• Like Like x 3
  44. carmadman

carmadman New Member

I would love to see Thomas The Tank Engine in tsw2, which steam train would you like in the game

45. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

What are you? 12 yo? :o

46. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Unlikely. Too many licensing and copyright issues, not to mention zero appeal to anyone over about the age of 12.

Now Ivor The Engine, that’s another matter...

• Like Like x 3
  47. flopel#5127

flopel#5127 Member

When does the steam's come?

48. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

Not for a while yet

49. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Downloading for me now

50. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member