Sand Patch Speed Limits/signs/hud Marker Messed Up?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by voltajtepes#7278, Feb 7, 2021.

1. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

Just wondering if there is a known issue with the speed limits in the Sand Patch game.
    My HUD marker (the little white/red circle) doesn't seem to be the same as the actual speed limit. Sometimes it's correct, other times it's way off. At one time it was set at 80!
    Yes I am waiting for my entire train to pass by a specific point before checking.
    Seems like the marker on the HUD is the only thing that counts against me.. when it was stuck at 80 I was flying down the rails at 60 mph lol! (And no I didn't derail).. :)
    Anyway, just wondering if this is something that is known.

2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

No - speed limits on SPG are correct, not sure what you are saying since most North American lines, especially freight are limited to 79 mph... and on SPG the track speeds are much lower.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

On the eastbound helper return services, you are allowed to go passenger speeds which can get you up to 79 on your way back to Cumberland. I have never seen an 80 on SPG. I also do not know of any discrepancies between the HUD and the actual track signs; SPG seems to be accurate to me.

4. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

They corrected most of the errors in the december updates as the downhill leg to cumberland was really a mess, but there´s still at least one speed limit which is wrong around mp 200 more or less, in the sand patch downhill direction to cumberland. Speed board displays 35 but there´s an invisible 25 speed limit few yards ahead it, so you will overspeed during a couple of miles if you don´t notice it. I´m talking by heart about the speed limits values but they are different for sure. The 80 you are talking about does not sound familiar to me, but there´s a piece of track arriving Ellerslie or Narrows River with a 60 between two lower speed limits. You don´t notice it as any long train won´t release the previous limit before entering this one, but with the single engines you can spot it.

In many routes this is a commom issue. In LIRR there are more cases with 90 just in the middle of switches areas which are limited to 15 for instance, and in some german routes you also find 120 in the middle of swiches areas as well. I think the reason is that they set a max line speed for the whole line and then on top of it they set the speed restrictions and the switches restrictions. If one piece of track is not configured with a limit correctly then HUD sees the original max line speed which is much higher and displays it for few seconds.

They need to find a way to check speed limits in a more efficient way as this type of error (boards and HUD not matching) is quite frequent in many routes :( In case of doubts check your speed log in the ESC menu and you can easily spot the speed peaks where the errors are, as speed changes are normally very sudden and are active for few yards only, so you see those peaks in the graph.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

While they are at it, they could also try to take account of divided speed limits, as in SPG and GWE: higher limits for passenger/light loco or MUs, lower limit for freight or loco-hauled. As it stands, it only gives the upper track limit.

Step two would be taking into account the consist Vmax (often much less than line speed, e.g 75 or 60 for freight in Britain, and on the high speed lines much, much less for anything except a HST (Dostos have a hard limit of 160, no matter where they are). Step 3 would be signal speeds, as on German routes or, again, on Sand Patch.

6. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Is it possible the OP has changed the defaults to display all speeds and distances in metric?

• Like Like x 1
  7. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

Thanks everyone! I keep the speed units as "local" or whatever the option was to make US units in "mph" and European units at metric, so I think the mph was correct.
    I did pay more attention yesterday to EVERY sign as I drove past it, watched the rear of my train for when it passed the sign, and the limit indicator seemed to be ok. There was one point heading out of Cumberland where the sign said 25 mph, but my little indicator was at 20. No big deal I guess.
    This 80 mph glitch seemed to be a one time occurrence going downhill east somewhere around Hyndman. I haven't been able to repeat it since. I know for sure I was speeding as I was trying to see how fast I could go before the game would toss me out lol.. I didn't want to exceed 60 mph as I feared that I would derail.
    I guess driving recklessly should not allow me to post complaints about speed limits :)
    Anyway I appreciate the responses, I am paying more attention now. My long term goal is to turn off all of the HUD indicators, but I'm not there yet.