Other Poll: Bakerloo Throttle Failure

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by solicitr, Feb 12, 2021.

?
  1. Every time; I cannot complete a route.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. It occurs more often than not but sometimes I can get through

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. It has happened to me a few times

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  4. I've never had this problem; Bakerloo works fine for me

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Please if you add a comment list your platform and, if on PC, your hardware information.

2. bassman612

bassman612 Member

I've completed all the journey chapters and have never had any problems with power loss. I've read a lot of threads here of players who do have trouble though I'm unable to reproduce it on my standard PS4.

3. A Big Chungus

A Big Chungus Active Member

Having had this issue since purchase, and finally being able to complete a few journeys yesterday, I believe the issue lies in that at some stations, upon stopping the MR gauge does not recharge. And once that gauge drops below the number of your BP gauge, both will decrease to 0 and lock the train, and the reset procedure will not work.

4. jebaraanas

jebaraanas Member

i had this issue when i saved the game, starting from Elephant & Castle and i loss power at Embankment. the gauge just dropped when i closed the doors and couldn't depart.

5. solicitr

Hmm Chungus, brakes may be at yhe heart of it, but I dont yhink it's "certsin stations;" at least for me its potentially at any station, or while moving. But maybe because certain areas or regions lead to a certain kind of brakibg, which leads to this? A cumulative loss of air pressure until failure?

6. A Big Chungus

It's a strange one. As I say, my MR gauge reads between 4.9 and 6.0. Sometimes when I've stopped at a station, this gauge will recharge. Sometimes it will not. Now if say, this gauge did not recharge for two or three stations in a row, the MR gauge would then drop below the BP gauge, which then causes them both to drop. So perhaps the glitch is that sometimes the MR gauge fails to charge?

7. solicitr

Are you supposed to have the controller in a certain position while stopped?

8. A Big Chungus

So when I pull into the station, I have the brakes in position 3 (EP normal I think?) I judge the distance when I enter, apply this brake and then come to a stop. Whilst stopped I keep the brakes in this position, then accelerate when it's time to go. Doing this has meant I've been able to complete every journey so far without fail. For me it seems like cycling through the brakes to come to a gradual stop causes the pressure to drop and never recover, you literally just have to slam the brakes on when you feel the time is right and come to a stop at the marker.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  9. solicitr

All right- now I'm thinking.

Whenever you move the controller to Brake 1 while stopped, or if you stop with the brakes in that position, there is a beeper (I had assumed it's a departure warning). Is it possible that with the controller in that position, the brakes don't recharge, and you have to set them to a higher position? Must investigate.

The reason I am thinking this might be it, is because my practice heretofore has been to reduce the brakes to this position (or even 0, if on level ground) while loading, for a quicker launch. Maybe a bad habit acquired from the 166, where you can preset the throttle and move instantly when the doors lock. (I also stop relatively gently; I find that if doing 25-30 then going to Brake 1 at the end of the platform generally bullseyes the stop board. But maybe that's what's killing me?)

10. A Big Chungus

For me this beeping was the dead man's handle, which occasionally lifts when I've stopped. I have to press this handle which then lowers it again, and the beeping stops. I think it is that if you cycle through brakes whilst trying to stop, the MR gauge gets lower and lower. Then if it doesn't recharge and drops below 4.5, your BP drops too, causing the train to lock. Try playing with just brake setting 3, this is how I've been playing and I've been able to complete, and enjoy, this route again.

11. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

This only started happening in the last few weeks for me, before this everything was working fine and I had no issue completing runs.

12. solicitr

All right, I actually finished a service! Mind you, this was Queens Park/Elephant & Castle, whereas I usually suffer the malfunction up in the Harrow & Wealdstone end of the route (but not always).

I didn't notice anything about the brake pressures behaving oddly-they seemed normal. The ONLY thing I did differently was silence the beeping by pressing the dead man's handle. Could that actually be it?

13. A Big Chungus

I'm sure it's the brakes, as I did a test where I would feather the brake to stop the train, and every time this caused the train to die. Whereas using one brake to stop would cause them to recharge, meaning I could carry on. Feels good to actually finish though doesn't it!

14. solicitr

Huh. I continued to feather the brakes like I usually do, trying to stick the landing. But I wonder if doing that really does deplete the MR on the faster aboveground part when you're doing 45 and braking harder? Will have to experiment. I know that on some older British units, you can't feather at all; once set, the brakes cannot be reduced, only released and re-set.

It does seem though that the deadman's handle, if up, prevents the MR from recharging.