Sand Patch Distributed Power Just Seems Bugged

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by voltajtepes#7278, Feb 14, 2021.

1. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

I realize that I am a noob in this game, but I have researched as much as I could and I have run multiple runs with 4 engines (two in front two in rear). They show up in various scenarios. Setup consists of making sure each pair of engines is set up correctly. I won't bother you with details because the internet is full of good tutorials. The reason I know I'm setting this up correctly is because MOST of the time everything works fine.. however, it seems like occasionally the distributed power does not work, even though I can see (through the #3 view) the rear engine putting its throttle at the same position as me, sometimes it just doesn't work.. I just can't make it up the hill.. No way to see what each engine is doing because they all SOUND fine.. I save and reload, turn off, then on the radio COMM.. do this a few times.. then suddenly I get a burst of power.. I was recently doing one of the time table scenarios driving up the Sand Patch in the winter.. got past Hyndaman (where the slope goes to 1.5%) and I stalled.. could not do anything.. looked at the rear engine and it was putting the same throttle as me.. re-loaded the game .. again.. and again.. then at one point I think I toggled the Bank COMM off then on.. and suddenly I was FLYING up the mountain! at 40 mph!!! when before I could not even get there .. I just stalled.. SO I ended up finishing the job after several tries. My point is that I did nothing different setup the same way, but after enough re-tries suddenly it works.
    Something isn't right here... I should be able to go through the setup for 4 engines.. once and for all... and it should just work.. or there should be some indication why it does not work..
    Sorry for the rant but this is very frustrating. I've set up everything correctly. I know this because, as I said, suddenly after clicking a few buttons on and off, I can get up the hill without issues. Same conditions as before.
    I just wish there was a better way to know if I have everything set up correctly other than having to go to #3 view.. again...look at the rear engine.. watch if it responds.. but if it does.. still doesn't work.. click a few buttons on and off.. suddenly it works fine.
    Tonight it was such a difference.. stalling out on the climb of 1.5% just out of Hyndamn.. then.. reloading the game.. not changing anything.. just toggling a few buttons.. and wala!! suddenly I have NO PROBLEM climbing the hill.
    Don't get me wrong I still LOVE this game.. it is so nice to see the scenery driving up the mountain in the winter. The sound of the diesel engines... just awesome.. but man it is frustrating when trying to set up my engines correctly..
    Ok I'm done ranting.. Not sure why or what I expect to happen. Just.. man..

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Banking Comms should be the very last thing you turn on. In general, it works best to start in the rearmost engine and work forward.

3. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

Thanks I will make sure I'm doing this in the correct order next time. I wish the manual was accurate lol.

4. hightower

hightower Guest

You used the fated words ‘saved and reload’. I’m afraid that’s almost certainly the culprit right there.

After over 4 years of development you still cannot reliably save a game in TSW and be confident all will be well when you reload it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Even in TSClassic, the save and reload is iffy at best because of the amount of scripting involved with all the moving parts ... and TS Classic has been around for more than 10 years. Not a complaint, just an observation. Saving in simulations with many system interacting has always been problematic. Try and save a flight in the air in FS2020 and see what happens..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. topcat1077

topcat1077 New Member

Voltajtepes#7278. Thought I'd just share something with you based on some hands on research due to your post. I went to a timetable scenario that I knew would have DPU's on the rear. For starters, I went with an 8-40CW for a leader, set up all 4 units and then tried to turn on the comms bank in the 8-40......no deal, can't do it. This train wouldn't budge, maybe because of that one little item. Next I went with an SD40-2 for the leader....when I got to the rear, it seemed from the sound that they were not running, killed and restarted, set up, when I got back to the head end it was much like the rear end sound wise. after finally getting to what I thought was everything on line......this train wouldn't budge either. Next test, same scenario, all SD40-2's, hopped on the leader set it up and walked it right out of the yard, no problem. Finally, went back to the 8-40 set it up only, again comms not functional......train wouldn't move!! so I guess what I'm suggesting is that the comms bank is suspect in the 8-40 ,which is an issue, AND....it's not always necessary to set all units up in a scenario. BTW, while I don't recall the train symbol, I do know that it's the westbound 12:30 autorack train.

7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The banking comms in the C40-8 are known not to work.

8. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

Well.. let's hope they fix these things. My only real complaint is that something this critical to the game should be a priority to fix. The manual is incomplete or wrong, some engines don't work when setting DPU, and sometimes after saving and reloading, everything works. The thing is, I actually enjoy the challenge of setting each loco correctly.. but at least give me instructions that work lol. If it wasn't for these forums, I would be screwed.
    Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the game, but I question the priorities. This along with the possible "import/upgrade a previous game (SandPatch) but forgot the physics affect the climb up a hill" lol.. then sell it as a new game..that's just silly, I'm sorry.
    I realize that this a complex piece of software.. but it is a train simulator on a track, so I would expect top priority would be... physics of the wheel/track friction,etc.. HP .. and radio / controls functions.. these are not small ancillary things in my mind. I like the scenery, but would take stick trees and blotches if it would mean accurate control mechanics.

• Like Like x 1