Intercity Class 47

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Clumsy Pacer, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

3 years ago (yes, it's really been that long), DTG released the Virgin Trains First Generation Loco Pack. It included a HST (which no one cared about), some mk2 coaches and a totally reworked Class 47/8 - nothing like any I'd seen in the game, and it was a brilliant Class 47 (the best I'd seen was the one in WCML Shap).

When VT lost its franchise, they forced DTG to remove this pack (along with the reworked Pendolino, which later returned in Avanti livery and North Wales Coastal which included a Voyager, again the Voyager came back in Avanti livery).

It would be nice to see this Class 47 again, as its own pack, but in InterCity Swallow (and also possibly InterCity Executive) livery, with appropriate Mk2E coaches. It would not be too much of a stretch, as Class 47/8s (technically they're 47/4s still, just with bigger fuel tanks) were introduced (well, modified into 47/8s would be a more accurate term) starting in 1989.

It would be nice to see if a slightly reworked cab would mean it suitable to have in, say, RailFreight livery, or even most other BR liveries.

Scenarios could be for Great Western Main Line, WCML North or WCML Over Shap - it'd be appropriate on all those routes, and they include BR-flavoured stock - they all come with the Classic European Asset Pack, including Class 37s and HSTs, as well as RailFreight 47s (if a reworked cab is not an option).

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  3. Clumsy Pacer

I am aware of reskins, however I'm proposing bringing that 47 back to Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

There was a thread a while back asking for a decent 47. I'm surprised the the likes of BMG or AP haven't done one already.

5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Personally I wish they did what they did for Welsh Marshes and SWC, that being the removal of branding and rereleasing them as free updates for the original pack. If Virgin aren't happy with DTG releasing unbranded versions of their liveries, they could just release the Voyager and Pendolinguini in Avanti livery and the HST and 47 in IC Swallow. I'm genuinely surprised that they haven't done this yet, especially with the demand for a new 47.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

On the subject of Class 47s I have an Oovee version in my collection in a green unbranded VEE livery which I believe came with the now retired TEA / MJA wagon pack which is not bad.
    Just wondering if that was based on the VT first generation pack one?
    I sadly like many others came to TS too late to have the VT pack.
    I have been on a re-skin hunt for it with no joy so far, only found skins for the WCML over Shap / VTFG / Kuju versions.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  7. Clumsy Pacer

The VEE 47 comes with the Class 70 (which includes the TEA/MJA pack) and is way older than the VT 47, which I think was a bespoke build. The VEE 47 uses the external model of the 47 that came with Rail Simulator. The WCML Shap 47 is still rather good, and has nice physics.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doomotron

Is it related to the Settle-Carlisle Specials or NSE 47?

9. Clumsy Pacer

NSE 47 uses the original model, not sure about the Settle-Carlisle Specials one.

10. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

I still say they could've easily backdated the North Wales Coastal route to the late BR era (1990-95), with 47+Mk2s in IC Swallow, they already have a 158 and 156 in RR Express/RR, they could do a Trainload livery of the S&C 37 or the Highland (Railright) 37, they already have the freightcars... And several versions of an ICS HST...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Doomotron

I'd quite like that to be honest, but it might some annoy some players who aren't interested in that era. Maybe it could be a free (or discounted) add-on to owners of the hypothetical rereleased NWC.

12. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Fair enough, although IMO the BR sectors era + early privatisation era (~1990-2005) is woefully underrepresented in the game, at least with regards to complete route+train packages (there's the Liverpool - Manchester, York - Peterborough Modern, and not much else...)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1