When Should I Go Up A Notch On The Throttle

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by stay4evergaming, Mar 14, 2018.

1. stay4evergaming

stay4evergaming Member

so mainly driving 166 and 43 how do i know when it's right to go from notch to notch and is it right to start at 3 like the game tells you too? i have in the past never got past 25ish in the 43 due to going max too quick but either way i struggle to go the right speed at any given time

2. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

When the amps are at maximum, the engine is working at full power
    When the AMPs start to drop you can get more acceleration by increasing the power.
    On 43 and 66 you can see the amps, but with the 166, the acceleration is very fast starting off in notch 7 full power
    When the amps are at maximum increasing power won't make any difference.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. stay4evergaming

stay4evergaming Member

ah ok i assumed it would be like a car where it would be based off revs but obviously not i'm gunna go try this now will report back

4. stay4evergaming

stay4evergaming Member

thank you so much this worked athough i made a couple of mistakes and a 29 min journey took 41 mins doh

5. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

It's a tricky balance- still getting the hang of it myself. For me, personally, the 166 is the most forgiving because you can both accelerate and brake relatively quickly- my first couple of runs, I would see the an upcoming speed limit of say 40 (in say 1 mile), when I'm doing 85, and would immediately get on the brakes only to find that I'm down to 25mph half a mile before the speed limit change. Now I know I can keep my speed higher for a longer period of time (signal dependent of course). On the other hand, with the 43 and the 66 (especially with loaded cars), both acceleration and braking are much less responsive so you have to take action sooner. My first Paddington-Reading run with the 43 was going great until I didn't slow down gradually enough towards the end of the route, and then found myself trying to emergency brake and sliding past the red light at the end of the platform and failed the service. Everything seems simulated really well, just a matter of learning the routes and the equipment.

P.S. as a general rule, don't be afraid to run at zero throttle once you're up to speed- you can use the gradient, and small amounts of throttle and braking to maintain your desired speed.

6. stay4evergaming

stay4evergaming Member

doing best in the 43 at the moment but once ive got better will move on to the 66 but the 166 is pretty easy but i'm not too good at stopping so i tend to favour the express services at the moment my main problem is i need to learn the route to judge when best to slow so might even practice it a bit on TS2018 using a train i'm used to like a pacer

7. DeBrief

DeBrief New Member

Thanks for this explanation! I've only been driving the 166 (new to the genre so trying get the hang of it with one engine at a time), and I felt like I was doing something wrong, or the power settings were bugged. I'll try a different engine to get more of an experience with the power settings.

8. larenasmatias

larenasmatias New Member

I can now reach 125! Thanks

9. B0bbyLarge

B0bbyLarge New Member

The problem is no necessarily "how" you are accelerating.
    Higher notches it will accelerate faster and reach higher speeds.
    I timed the trains over a standard mile and the times do not match the speed over that mile. I believe there is a problem on the xbox 1.
    At 125 mph I was covering a mile in 57 secs. This is twice as long as it should take.
    I started a new thread to see if anyone else encountered the same issue.
    Watched PC version on youtube and it is clear the train does not accelerate correctly on the xbox version.
    I believe they have some work to do.
    I don't know if this is different on the xbox X.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  10. stay4evergaming

stay4evergaming Member

yes i belvie Xbox one and X have optimisation issues even with correct acceleration i struggle to reach speed limits at all

11. B0bbyLarge

B0bbyLarge New Member

Thats what I'm thinking I am interested to see if more people have the issue.
    Another user is encountering exactly the same acceleration and incorrect speeds on his Xbox 1. I have the same issue on both of our household xboxes.

12. stay4evergaming

stay4evergaming Member

i think dovetail need to do something to make up to xbox users releasing a game in such a badly optimised state now i'm not asking for free add ons or anything but i just think a small something to say thanks for waiting for us to fix these issues

13. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Yes ... been having exactly the same speed issues when driving ever since release day.
    Even the AI trains are not running to time - so I thinks its a calibration issue between speed and time.
    It would be nice though if there was some sort of interim acknowledgement of the issue from Dovetail.
    Happy Train Sim-ing!