PlayStation Is Cn Oakville Subdivision Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Lunar_Twisted, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of buying this route once it goes on sale. I read some bad reviews (particually on Steam) about this route. For example, some said lack of GO passenger service, lack of diverse services, services are also duplicated for both locomotives (substitution?), and some sections of the yard is not accessible to name a few. When it comes to freight routes, I don't typically mess around in the yards as some may do but I just normally focus on what the timetable tells me what to do next and move on.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I have about 98% of all the available DLC for TSW2. The only one I wish I could give back is Oakville. That probably sums up my opinion of it. Though I play it very occasionally I have not got my moneys worth out of it at all and I got it Day 1. There are no passenger services at all by the way, all freight. There are some main line runs but they are A to B and not very interesting. I would find this one hard to recommend.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

Its a no from me.

4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Depends- if you LOVE Sand Patch, then Oakdale is more of the same with different scenery

• Like Like x 1
  5. George1862

George1862 Active Member

No dont get it

6. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Imo it's not worth it. The scenario's are fun with loading the kerosene wagons, but the timetable is very boring. I was expecting a lot of timetable services with loading and switching but the bulk of the services is just driving up and down the mainline without any shunting or loading going on.

If I could get a refund for it, I would. So I'd pass if I were you

• Like Like x 2
  7. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend this route got it day one wish I could give it back definitely did not get my money's worth

• Like Like x 1
  8. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

If the freight and shunting is your thing then yes, it might be worth buying. Ultimately thou, this is a decision that you have to make.

9. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Well, I really like to do freight services, but inspite of that I can't really recommend OSD, at least not until some annoying bugs have been fixed.
    It's true, most timetable services are quite uneventful and boring. Also there are several services where a gold medal is simply not achievable (without mindlessly driving back and forth just to sum up APs for miles driven).
    The crippled map is another topic, and there's even a part of track you have to use which is not shown on the map (at the Burlington triangle).
    Then there's this loading procedure for tank cars ... you can do a separate training for that, but later during the services you're just tasked to wait 10 minutes. If you leave the loco to perform the loading yourself you'll be pestered more than once with the question about giving up the service. That's no fun at all.
    In journey mode, I was wondering why a certain service is listed twice in the same chapter.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  10. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

If you like freight get it in a sale.

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s an okay route to get in a sale. The main line runs are uninspiring, as it is just a straight track, but in the industrial area and yards it is interesting with some interesting tasks to do. There are bugs in it like in every route but the train models are nice. I’ve only played it in TSW2020 so can’t comment on how well it came through the preservation process for TSW2 but I do like the route. It’s the only route that has a similar feel to SPG, being freight only, but is a totally different environment.

The biggest issue with it is when you are loading the tankers, it is easy to accidentally give up control of the service because the popup asking you to do that defaults to yes, and uses the same button to select it as the one you use up to 80 times when loading the tankers. If the popup appears at any of those 80 times (and it will) you need to go and sit back in the cab to reactivate the service and at the end you don’t get the correct points or a tick in the box in journey mode to say you have done it.

It’s not a must have route by any means but there’s enough to do that you don’t do anywhere else to get some enjoyment out of it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'd get it, especially in a sale. I think the locomotives are two of the best in the game and, I agree, there are some interesting things to do. I didn't have the "control" pop-up problem with the tank cars for some reason but it is a finicky task - once was enough. I still live in (probably unjustified) hope that someday DTG will add passengers and expanded switching to the route to unlock its potential.

13. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

Alright everyone, thanks for the responses. I'll avoid this route then. I enjoyed SPG as I just need to finish the last scenario in chapter 2 "Ice and Snow" before going into chapter 3.

• Like Like x 1