Stratford Intl - Why No Gradients?!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Feb 15, 2021.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

As the title suggests, why are there no gradients into and out of Stratford International, as per real life?

In SEHS, the approach and exit at Stratford International is completely flat. How on earth did they mess this up, as this is a pretty iconic feature of the route?

Below are some comparisons of real life vs SEHS of the same locations, showing the vast differences in gradients (or lack of) between them.

upload_2021-2-15_14-43-40.png
    20311260414_f6d08f8c2d_o (2).jpg

TSW2_Josh_1613398837_00.jpg TSW2_Josh_1613399660_00.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  2. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

DTG did not do a good job in the details, forgive them, you are really a careful person.

• Like Like x 3
  3. hightower

hightower Guest

Oh good Lord, the lighting! :(

• Like Like x 7
  4. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Either missed, or a creative decision, similar to the Bakerloo line where Piccadilly Circus platform is straight, but curved in reality.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If you asked a hundred people who've never used the route what the most iconic part of it is, I don't doubt as many as 90 would say "who cares?"
    Probably the two most well known landmarks on the route are St Pancras or the QE2 bridge, I doubt an incline out of a tunnel entrance floats too many people's boats...

• Like Like x 7
  6. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

But now I see it it’s kind of annoying

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

While I do agree that it looks different and an inaccuracy would not surprise me, you have to be careful with zoomed-in pictures, especially like the first one. This will look very different to taking the picture without zoom (and how you would see it in real life), and will distort the picture. You sometimes see that in videos as well, where a rather well maintained straight railway looks very bumpy and uneven on full zoom in along the track.

• Like Like x 5
  8. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I get what you’re saying with distortion that comes with zoom, however it is genuinely like that. It isn’t flat at all, as it is in SEHS. There’s a noticeable rise and dip in real life at Stratford International.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

A zoom lens cannot really create anything that isn't there, but it does accentuate it. It is very clear to the human eye, and with less zoom. Look at the rear of the 373s in this image.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eurostar_at_Stratford_International_stn.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

IIRC you do climb out of the tunnels and fall going into them, so its not a completely flat route at all, those pictures all show part of the train still in the tunnel. Would have to drive it again and see where the gradient flattens out. Personally I find it slighly difficult to see gradients in TSW anyway, even if it is +/-3% or so.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I've just driven SEHS - From Ebbsfleet its a 1 in 44 up to the station, Leaving towards St Pancras its a 1 in 63 down. I'll feedback on the other direction shortly.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think it might be a conscious decision to move the gradient change into the tunnels to make it easier to build the junctions, or perhaps even to get them to show correctly (I'm speaking from experience of TS1, where two tracks joining at a set of points must be on the same gradient else the points show up weird).

• Like Like x 2
  13. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Then that's just lazy, points on changing gradients are nothing new, just take time to do properly.

• Like Like x 3
  14. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Welp another example of the inaccuracies on hs1. It's not a suprise. I wonder how they got that wrong. Also the lighting at Stratford International is still wrong in the daytime. It's way brighter in reality

• Like Like x 1
  15. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Exactly

16. ARuscoe

Annoying would have been a good word in the first place rather than describing a gradient as "iconic"

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I wonder especially working from home if there are strict limits to screen time.
    There are lots of committed modders that are doing fantastic bits snd bobs at all hours.
    As an employee, that probably isnt permitted.

18. ARuscoe

Modders do what they want to for their own ends
    Employees may do additional hours, but in the end it is a job that they get paid for so the onus is on the employer to make sure they're not impacting their welfare and wellbeing by being "always on"

19. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Thats my point. My Wife works from home, much work to do, but when the system registers that shes been on for a certain period of hours, it will log her out.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ARuscoe

I don't expect people to do work they're not going to get paid for. If someone chooses to do things as their own interest, that's on them

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Why not transit track when from Scenario Planner I setup a straight run from St Pancras to Ebbsflet (or viceversa) without stop at Stratford? Why St Pancras and Ebbsflet (literally International tracks) are both closed? TGV run pefectly in this high speed section but it has not the stop at Ebbsflect cause end of map just at the station entrance... No words....

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. ARuscoe

There's a scenario in the route which uses the through tracks as well so I presume this is an oversight on the scenario planner team's part

• Like Like x 1