South Wales Valley Lines

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Reeon1999, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Reeon1999

Reeon1999 Active Member

I would love to see the South Wales Valleys in Train Simulator 2018. With lovely scenery all the way up from Cardiff Central to Treherbert, Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil it would make for a lovely drive. I understand there may be implications due to it not being a single route. However, this does have some interesting scenarios because of that. For example, you could be behind a late train up from Cardiff and then have to make up your time carefully on the tracks.
    By single route, for those not familiar with this line - which would be most of the people here I'd have thought-, then I'll explain it in more detail. Every Valley line leaves Cardiff Central twice an hour and goes up to Pontypridd on a double track. Then the Treherbert train diverts away up a double track till it turns to a single track in Porth with a passing loop and token system in place at Ystrad Rhondda. The Merthyr & Aberdare train go the same way from Pontypridd up to Abercynon where they both go different ways. Each route from Cardiff Central up to each Valley takes no more than an hour to complete.
    These routes are completed with a class 143/142 and 150/2 Arriva Trains Wales. Usually there will be a mix of each class. For example a 150/2 with a 143 at the back or a 143 pulling a 142. They usually aren't more than four carriages due to the low stock of these trains. Other trains don't run up here due to the length of the platforms and also some of the tight turns - I've been told.
    I hope you consider this route as it is a lovely route to travel on and i would love to be in the drivers seat and attempt the tight timetable that these routes have. Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Robhope

Robhope New Member

Good idea,I would like to see a network route like Weardale and Teesdale which could incorporate different branches,Maybe even set back a few years before everything was just a bus shelter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rushncrushem

Rushncrushem New Member

4. sem34090

sem34090 Member

Ah... sigh... why have another modern route? We have plenty. I know I'm banging on, but I'm beginning to get a little fed up of all British routes coming out nowadays being modern, and by my standards that's anything post 1923 or 1948. If someone can name a British route set prior to 1948 I will be very grateful. If they can find a British route set prior to 1923, there's 2/3 of the TS2018 supplied content in it for them. If they can find a British route set prior to 1900 then they have a Matrix Trains coach pack being gifted to them!!! If it's LBSCR then they may even get a loco pack out of it...
    [​IMG]
    We have two modern Welsh routes, and a pair representing the same branch between circa 1955 and 1970, so why not go for something a bit different and offer perhaps the Taff Vale Railway in its entirety? A complete railway system. Heck, why not include the Rhymney, Barry, Cardiff and PC&N railways as well for a true network route?! Then a bit of GWR to hold it all together in the middle. Each of those railways on its own would make for a good route, but I think the Taff Vale has the advantage on account of its preservation compared to the others (i.e. it has locos and route mileage still in existence!!!) and it alone offers a large network of lines to play with.
    [​IMG]
    Now, locos, it had some very pleasant ones, and I would suggest that the preserved classes are the ones offered in a hypothetical TS pack:
    [​IMG]
    Class O1 0-6-2T
    [​IMG]
    Class O2 0-6-2T
    Why not include a few other classes too:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The loco portion of a railmotor... if anyone's wondering!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And some coaches will be required:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You could get away with reskinning the Stroudley's included with the terrier for that last one...

And it's not really excusable to say 'Old doesn't sell' given the reaction 'Highball to 1869'/119 is proving to be mostly because A) It's got a beautifully modelled loco in it and B) It's old, different and beautifully modelled. Now for Britain's turn...

• Like Like x 1