Awesome Tsw Service Mode Runs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustWentSouth, Dec 4, 2020.

1. George1862

George1862 Active Member

Yeah

• Like Like x 1
  2. George1862

George1862 Active Member

100000 percent agree please do that dtg

3. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

15:55 Faversham to St Pancras- really busy.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  4. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

Just completed this service. What a run! Great fun. Managed to overtake the 375 but it still had priority and I got stopped at a red signal so it re-overtook me as I slowed.

Nearly got a SPAD at the end near St pancras. I knew the red signal was there but got caught out as it went downhill and took longer to stop than I expected. Just got it stopped with 2 yards to spare, according to the hud, but it definitely looked like I went past it. I even got an emergency brake application... Definitely a butt clencher ;p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  5. bassman612

bassman612 Member

Peninsula Corridor Baby Bullet cab car service 319. It's the 3rd one in the cab car during the journey. You are an express service with 5 or 6 stops, but you're following another train. I had lots of yellows and twice I stopped at red lights. The stops at the reds were less than 30 seconds, so it doesn't delay you too much. I reached San Francisco on time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

That was sweet. Thanks!

I now have over 700km on RSN in TSW2; it was a favorite in TSW and the runs recommended here have made it a favorite again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Another one, although the interest here isn't traffic (no issues there), but physics. Run the SPG service G089 Grain Chicago-Brunswick, but make sure your traction is one AC4400 and one SD-40.* This is key, because 2 4400s (8800 horsepower) makes it easy, whereas 2 SD40s (6000 hp) simply can't do it- you'll die trying to reach Sand Patch - but one of each (7400 hp) is just right, barely enough to make it up, and especially to control a long, heavy tail (50 cars, 5800 tons) on the way down: expect a bumpy ride as the cars jostle! In fact you have to begin the run with a hairy hill start, managing wheelslip and pouring sand.

*Choose the 4400, and reload as necessary to get an SD40 trail

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  8. George1862

George1862 Active Member

This thread is amazing

• Like Like x 2
  9. JustWentSouth

This was a great study in physics. Thanks!

I found a very similar ride with the Dash-8 up front; didn't I hear somewhere that the in game physics are the same as the 4400? On the downhill section, the minimum reduction (about 9 pounds with 16 psi in the cylinders) was too much and dynamics alone would not hold the train, so it was very difficult to find the correct brake blend.

So, this train was roughly 1.3 horsepower per ton. On Building America Part 2, it is 3 4400s in a 2&1 setup for a 7000 ton train or about 1.9 horsepower per ton. On the downhill section, the minimum set was a perfect baseline to allow me to fine tune speed with the dynamics. I realize that braking power of a reduction has to do with the number of cars while braking power of dynamics has to do with horsepower and loco placement, but I am still puzzled why a minimum set is too much on the 52 car grain train and much easier to work with a 53 car coal train.

By the way, the run was even more enjoyable once I finally figured out how to use the 4400 distance counter thanks to this post by Callum B.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. solicitr

Might have to do with the grain hoppers having better brakes than coal hoppers?

Anyway, the way I do it is to dial in the dynamic to one notch short of slowing me down- then use the independent (loco) brake to fine tune until I'm holding speed. That's a lot less braking force than the locos and 50 cars all braking together! The train brake is for stopping or desperation. :o

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Would you happen to know if this is done in real life, too? I'd have thought something like this would ruin the loco brakes extremely fast. That is why I basically don't touch the loco brake outside of yards other than for securing the train or bail-off. I'm really curious how a real engineer handles a situation in which the dynamics are not enough. If they do use the auto brake as I do, they probably need to be very careful about fanning and emptying the cars' reservoirs, right?

12. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you would do this when the dynamic brake is a continuous input—not notched. It would present unnecessary wear on the brakes. If dynamics aren't enough, a small dab of train brake (bailed off) should slow the train down enough for the brakes to recharge in case they are required again (this is useful on very long, very steep grades). But the mechanical brakes should never be held applied for maintaining speed.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

Hey guys! Just to clarify - how should I do it exactly to get SD40 trail unit? Or is the trail is random every time I start the service?

14. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

its random

• Like Like x 1
  15. solicitr

If that's the case, though, one winds up proceeding in a sawtooth fashion, speed up, show down rapidly, speed up, slow down rapidly, all the way down the grade.

16. solicitr

Just keep reloading the service until you get one. You can't specify a trail unit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Yes, which is why you should brake enough each time so that your applications are not in quick succession (say, from 40 MPH to 30). The dynamic brakes may not be able slow down the train on their own but they can decrease acceleration and therefore the time between air brake applications. If you use the train brake too frequently, coupler slack will become an even worse nightmare.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustWentSouth

I too loved this run! Thank you fakenham.

I was finally able to get the green over the 375. I timed the yellows into Sittingbourne, got there about 30 seconds early and was rolling before my official departure time. I also got a nice livery for the run:

Trainbow.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  19. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]There's an ECS move on SEHS at about 6 in the morning that involves driving a pair of 375s from the old Rochester station to Rainham. Pretty cool to be blasting through Gillingham at 60mph!

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  20. JustWentSouth

I keep coming back to this one because the physics really make for a great driving experience. It is a heavier train than the loaded departure from Cumberland mine and there is a working EOTD visible on the last covered hopper. The only drawback is the relative lack of AI traffic.

So, I started the scenario up and went away for a while, not departing until about 14:15. If I had waited until 15:20 or so, I could have created some interference with the WB U876-A when it switches over to the EB main at Mance on its way to Shaw mine, but I was ready to drive so I just took off.

I went over Sand Patch, continued downgrade, and stopped at this point just beyond the second tunnel. I got out of the cab, released the train, and then enjoyed seeing the 5 services I had backed up parade by.
    HH Railfan1.jpg

21. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

RE57089(17:17 from Augsburg) with BR766/767 Cab Car.
    This train does not stop between Augsburg and Mering, but in Haspelmoor, Althegnenberg, Mammendorf and then Pasing & Munich Hbf.
    The RE57051(17:07 from Augsburg) runs 10 minutes before the RE57089 and stops everywhere between Augsburg and Mering and then from Mering only in Pasing.

There are many red signals(At the RE57089) and you are still being overtaken.

If you want, you can hold up the RE57051 until 17:16 and then follow it with the RE57089.

It can happen, that both REs have to be overtaken, if the other RE is 10 minutes late.

Both trains have less than 10 minutes to turn in Munich Hbf. The delay is carried over to the next journey.
    The first RE(57089) have only 4 minutes to turn in Munich Hbf.

It is very likely that the train will have to wait when it has been overtaken until the ICE has left the track at 18:19. So the next trip is more than 20 minutes late from the RE57089.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  22. JustWentSouth

An addition to both the Chaos Runs and Awesome Services list! I can't wait to run this.

23. JustWentSouth

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. JustWentSouth

HMA Westbound Chaos:

Launch with either the 143 or 146 in service RB57028, the 11:00am to Dinkelscherben. Shortly after leaving the station, you can get a glimpse of the service you will wind up driving; it is the container train in the freight yard on your right. Just a few moments later, after a PZB speed warning for 60kph, stop at this signal 1.2 km shy of reaching the first stop at Munchen-Pasing:

HMA WB Chaos1.jpg

At 11:16, freight service DB 85855, the container train you saw in the yard, will pull up on the second track to the right and stop at the signal.

HMA WB Chaos2.jpg

Leave you seat, climb out of the cab and walk over to the freight loco which is usually a 185, but I did get a 155 once. Climb in the cab and take over the service. The regional will leave while are setting up your cab and in just a few minutes the signal will turn yellow. Enjoy the run west to Augsburg!

I ran it in PZB mode M. It worked as well with a top speed of 100kph as it did with a top speed of 120kph. The whole sequence takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Spoiler: plenty of PZB action as you catch up with the regional closer to Augsburg. Be careful not to yo-yo your speed too much and keep the 500hz speed limits in mind.

• Like Like x 3
  25. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

Main Spessart Bahn:

DB88124 14:39 Gemunden - Aschaffenburg

The max speed for this train is 120km/h, if you try to stick to that (where possible) and switch PZB on you will find this a challenging run. If you can do it first time without having a SPAD, you've done better than I did.

• Like Like x 2
  26. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I believe the MSB freight consists are meant to be driven with PZB in "U" mode, so maximum of 100 km/h due to their weight and length, which should also give you a better reaction time with the signals.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. solicitr

Very few MSB consists require Mode U. On the other hand, ALL loaded freight wagons are limited to 100 km/h vmax, regardless of mode. (which actually makes life easier- max of 100, but only having to get under 70 for the magnets).

28. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

This is one thing that sometimes puts me off doing freight on MSB. For the vast majority of the route, the lowest speed limit is 100kph, so with the freight trains limited to 100 you're rarely affected by speed limits.

Granted, quite a lot of the services are hit by adverse signals, but if you happen to get a clear run, you just sit at 100kph for the majority of the run. If I remember right, the only sections that are slower are at either end of the route, and at the top of the spessart ramp (heigenbrucken?).

That's why I tend to prefer ruhr sieg nord as there are way more speed limits that affect the freight trains. Keeps you on your toes a bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Actually you are limited to 90 because the brakes are in goods timing.

30. Lamplight

Sorry to come in again, but you claimed this once before. I asked if you could provide a source on this but you didn't reply. Would you happen to have a source for this claim now?

Edit: syntax

31. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Matt said all the loaded consists in MSB where built with this timing.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Lamplight

That may be the case, but it's still not prototypical as far as I can tell. The "Lastgrenzenraster" would have to display 90 if the wagons can only run at 90, but they all say "S" which means 100 km/h. And yes, the brakes are taken into account for the "Lastgrenzenraster".

• Like Like x 1
  33. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I am not knowledgeable enough to take part in this discussion, just stated what Matt said.

34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This would be good if the dynamic brakes on the AC4400 worked correctly. Or maybe it’s good because they don’t!!!

• Like Like x 1
  35. solicitr

I have never had a problem with the AC4400's dynamic brakes.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Just did this service, but departing from Darlington I didn't have to wait for the 101 departing, so it was an "all-green" way to Lackenby... don't know if I did something wrong or what

37. osiegmund9

osiegmund9 Well-Known Member

Jinoss17 oh I am sorry for that, but the TSW dispatcher dont always do the same :)

38. JustWentSouth

I spend a lot of time trying to create runs like this and you found this one already on the timetable. It was a tricky one to the top of the grade and the dispatcher did the right thing at Heigenbrucken.

90, 100, or 120kph, a great run at any speed!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  39. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed that one, here's another one for anybody that enjoys pressing the AWS reset button:

Great Western Express:

2P06 05:48 Reading - Paddington
    You can get a different experience by changing the season on this one as well, you get a nice rising sun in the summer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. solicitr

Great one. Much playing slo-mo chicken with red aspects.

41. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This is a good run with a couple of odd timings between stations to ensure plenty of action. Console players will need to do the “in and out of Journey mode” work-around to access this, as it’s one of the few full route runs that was removed for the stripped down timetable. Sun in my eyes all the way in summer, just how I like it. Cheers for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Anyone know about any interesting services on the 465? I love the train, but it would be nice to experience some yellows on it...

43. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Great Western Express

2R19 8:36 London Paddington - Reading

Only service in timetable mode that stops at Hanwell Station.

• Like Like x 7
  44. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

EastCoastway

5C09 06:14 Empty Stock move to Newhaven Marine

Some reds and yellows along with a journey into the Newhaven Marine sidings.

If you wish you can continue on free roam and take it back out as 2C09 All stops Newhaven Marine- Brighton where you will also encounter reds and yellows.

• Like Like x 5
  45. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

I have found 2 services on SKA with the BR 422. These 2 services are in and out runs from the depot at Aachen! 2 different and interesting services to do in SKA.

- 04:00 ECS S19 DUREN
    - 20:23 ECS S19 AACHEN DEPOT

• Like Like x 3
  46. JustWentSouth

These are indeed excellent runs, especially the 20:23! Be prepared for a bit of a wait at the start while traffic clears.

47. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

I have done that service last week, great run and yes the wait is a bit, but you get to watch the traffic up and down the line while you wait for clearence.

• Like Like x 1
  48. JustWentSouth

The 2L17 London Charing Cross - Rainham service at 10:43 with the 465/9 is a good run.

Chasing adverse signals and plenty of AI traffic.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I found another Rainham - Charing X service which was really interesting, and I was about to write it here, but a lot of services are like that.

Generally all SE HS service feature some adverse signals, and are pretty cool, particularly the Rainham - Gravesend services are fantastic, I think all of those services can be considered good enough for this list.

Until now I found 4 variations:

1. Is bugged, you wait ~6/8 because you are assigned to stay behind a Gillingham-Victoria service, although you should be in front of it, but even if you arrive ~8 minutes late and get a silver medal is a very interesting run nonetheless
    2. You are simply following another Gillingham-Victoria train at some distance, you see the usual double-yellow and usually stop at a stations with a single yellow in front of you.
    3. You follow a Gillingham-Victoria train extremely closely, it is almost guaranteed to stop at a red signal at least once
    4. You follow at a distance a 395, meaning you get yellows approaching Rainham as well.

• Like Like x 1
  50. JustWentSouth

• Like Like x 3