Proposed Route Extension System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pablomikel.izaguirre.m, Feb 12, 2021.

1. TLDR: Read last 2 paragraphs.

For a very long time, DTG has stated that route extensions will not be coming to TSW 2 due to their low profitability, as one must own a DLC to buy the extension DLC, so the customer base for the product becomes much smaller.

I would like to share Just Trains's system for route extensions in this thread, so that DTG might take a look at this system and think about incorporating this onto their products in the future. The reason for this is that Just Trains's system has shown incredible results, having connected London to Bristol in one single route without sacrificing profits.

So how does this system work? Well, it's like a jigsaw puzzle. First, JT releases a route, such as "Midland Main Line: Sheffield - Derby". Then, another route is released named "Midland Main Line: Derby - Nottingham - Leicester", along with it's extension variant: "Midland Main Line: Derby - Nottingham - Leicester Extension". The first two routes are standalone products that will generate revenue independently, as they require nothing but the base game to run. The third route offers an option for the user to connect both routes and obtain a very long route from Sheffield all the way to Leicester.

This system will allow people who just want to buy a short route to purchase any of those routes separately, but will also attract people like me (hehe) who are interested in longer routes and do not mind paying extra for a very long route equivalent to 2 whole routes.

Finally, I just want to point out that DTG has alread published 2 routes for TSW 2 which share a station, which are the Wuppertal - Hagen route, and the Hagen - Finnentrop route. These 2 routes are offered as different products as of right now, but they could also be sold as extensions of each other for those interested in running a service from Wuppertal to Finnentrop.

This would be a great incentive for people who already own one of those routes to buy the extension variant of the other route at it's full price, while requiring extremely little effort from the company, (just putting the two together and creating a timetable), which means quick money for DTG and the long requested longer routes for us players. It's a win win.

• Like Like x 17
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

DTG have already stated that it is not as simple as dropping 2 files together and having a longer route. To join Wuppertal to Hagen and Hagen to Finnetrop they would have to create a new timetable, new scenarios, new paths and make the dispatcher understand wether the routes are joined. Not to mention the amount of bugs it would probably cause with things like scenario planner. If they just kept the current timetables and scenarios and paths then there would be no point to the joining of the routes because the gameplay would be the exact same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. For people who want longer routes, a 40 min service vs a 1.5hr service is very dfferent. So gameplay-wise, it fixes the problem of short routes. As for the process of joining, you pointed out some valid issues, but all of those processes that you mentioned can be done in just a 2 - 3 weeks (speculation based on production times for other routes, there's no way to know for sure), and I already mentioned the benefits of this system. If it works for JT, what makes DTG different?

• Like Like x 1
  4. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

For one I imagine JT build the routes with the intention of joining them later. Plus JT only have to work on that one route whereas the team at DTG are responsible for the whole game and releasing a good variety of routes to keep the entire player base happy. If they released 3 MML routes in a row you can imagine the backlash from everyone who isn’t doesn’t like British routes. And not releasing them in a row would take years for the route to be fully completed. Also, as you said about the Ruhr routes, if DTG really wanted to they probably could join RRO and RSN, but it would probably mostly depend on whether they think it would be profitable.

5. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I think this is the only way we could ever see route extensions or a proper network in the game. Standalone routes which can be joined to create longer ones. However, I do think expanding the variety of content should be of greater priority for now.

• Like Like x 4
  6. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

This comes back to my point, that I have said elsewhere on this board.

Train Sim World, isnt creating a World Sim of Trains.

Not to try and bring covid in to it, they have not created the "bubble"...of the world of that DLC, there are too many dead ends branch lines that are devoid of traffic, even if they were just AI. This game all about the mainlines of getting from large city A to large City B. presumably because more people will buy it if its city x, y, z rather than provincial village 2.

I can also see the computing power required if you merged both lines, there are lots of things happening the background that would need to be doubled if you merged two full routes together.

I'm waffling so will stop.

D

7. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I do wish they included more branch lines on the routes, would be nice to mix up the gameplay without committing to a whole new route

• Like Like x 3
  8. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

I know one of the German routes that they have got the branch line down to the docks, but there is no possibility of taking a passenger train down it, because its not electrified. But the thought is there, giving the game connectivity between the mainline and the branch.... almost creating a little bubble of the world. (I keep thinking of Jim Careys The Truman Show- its a bubble of a world set apart from anything else!)

9. The two routes do not necessarily have to be released one right after the other. I'm not asking DTG to change the list of routes that they have already decided on, I am just saying that if two of them do happen to connect, it would be nice to have them together as one long route, making long routes possible in the game once and for all. I suggested that the method is likely profitable, as JT have been using it for years and it seems to be working, but it is up to DTG to decide if they think it's a good idea or not.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

I would really want route extensions in the game. Especially, Ebbsfleet to Ashford.

• Like Like x 1
  11. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

I always think of this but I don't like the idea of a separate DLC route that's 1 big version of 2 routes so I was thinking of it like this lets take NEC and LIRR which has a common station New York Penn. lets act like we are in LIRR but also own NEC as you get 1 or 2 stations from New York Penn LIRR slowly unloads and NEC slowly loads in and vice versa. OR we can have it so if you own LIRR and NEC then you can download a giant version of both routes that are connected which opens up new services and unique scenarios

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2