Class 465 Destination Boards

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Aran, Feb 16, 2021.

?
  1. I don't mind

2. I'd prefer them to be changeable

3. I wont get it if they they aren't changeable

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

So, this is a quick one, in the recent Class 465 article released on DTL a screenshot can be seen which shows the Class 465 at Rochester Station alongside a Class 375 and 395. The PIS screens are deactivated, indicating that it is a Custom Scenario, however the Class 465 has got it's destination set, as can be seen in this screenshot:

Class 465 Dests.PNG

This was also the case with the 395, which ended up not having the destination boards changeable by the player. If this is also the case with the Class 465 that would be very disappointing, why can't DTG add the TrainFX system? If it is just because it would be extra work then they should openly admit that, if it's got some mysterious technical issues connected to it then they should explain that. But just using an excuse along the lines of "We don't need it" won't be accepted.
    I can't think of a good reason not to make them changeable, it just indicated that DTG don't care.

Edit: I should add that this screenshot is NOT clear evidence that the destinations won't be changeable by the player but rather an indication. I am not 100% confident but I do believe the current 465 doesn't have the system implemented.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

At the moment it's too early to know if we are getting a working PIS on the 465s. I for one am not too incrediby fussed by this as the 465s dont have any fancy PIS system that barely has any use other than to show you the time & the train reporting number in service mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m guessing it would be extra work as these things don't appear magically. If it’s a system where you add a code to get the service details up, then how is the player going to know what code to put in? I believe that was the reason it wasn’t implemented on the 395. If it is a different system then we don’t know until we see it in action. You can’t tell anything from the screenshot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

From this screenshot it looks like they won't be changeable, but I could be completely wrong of course. I just think it's unfortunate if they can't be changed.

5. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

The 465 does use a similar system to the 395, but much like the 395 it does have arrow buttons that I believe are unused on the real thing. I'm much rather see them being used than that they can't be changed at all, similar to what we've seen on the first implementation on MSB.

• Like Like x 3
  6. SprattyHeath

If you know the phrase "a picture tells a thousand words" it might not actually work in this context as there just isn't sufficient info that tells you that the TrainFX indeed does work or not.

It's best to wait for confirmation by Matt before we start making any futher speculations here.

7. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Fair point, I just got a bit ahead of myself seeing the destination set here.

8. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

The Class 465 is from the Networker family built by BREL (same as the Class165) so this will be a similar cab I believe to the Class 165/66.

Networker was for Network Southeast Franchise which is the Red white and Blue design

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

What is up with the destination board font sizes for SEHS? I noticed they were supposedly enlarged them for the 395 in the latest patch but they still seem rather small...and going by the screenshots for the upcoming 465 they are very similar.

Is this just realistic to how they are in RL for the 395/465 ? They seem fine for the 375 though

• Like Like x 1
  10. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The 375 front Dot Matrix looks ridiculous, it should be the same size font that is on the side facing displays.

UK trains don’t typically need large font on the train since most stations have PIS that gives you all the info, it only needs to be large enough to read up close to the train, unlike say a bus.

The 395 for me at least now is showing much larger text on the front displays.

As for the 465, the displays should show text in the centre, and a little larger then what we can see so far.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. SprattyHeath

The font sizes on the 375 & the 377 are completely wrong, whilst they ARE meant to scroll which is accurate, its been upscaled too much and is rather distracting. Why the 395 got the fix and not the 375 & the 377 is beyond me.
    upload_2021-2-16_22-19-45.png

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Thanks Lads (and/or ladies); it appears I was looking at it all the wrong way around. Hopefully they are improved in future updates

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I personally don’t care if the PIS is non-changeable by the player as long as it’s there, visible and accurate in destination and representation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It being there definitely takes away some of the sting of it being non interactive, but it is a little disappointing considering that it was one of the things that has made TSW more immersive, it seems a shame that we seem to be seeing less and less of it, I can’t imagine it being overtly difficult to implement a code system for the displays, with an info graphic next to the computer in the cab.

They could also find an easier, but less realistic approach to allow interactivity with the displays, just like on the 146 & Dostos.

• Like Like x 4
  15. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I definitely agree. It's one of the things I used to love doing with Trains like the 377 on ECW. Spawn on foot, take over a train, set up the cab, set the PIS. If it's not changeable on the train, I would be disappointed, I wouldn't think it was a deal-breaker though, but it is one of those things that you'd expect to be there like it was on the Class 377, BR 423, and Class 375. Without it, it would take away the immersion, and would lessen the value of the train. That's something the operator is able to do IRL, but the player can't do it in-game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

You can't beat the manual handle on the 101 destination board though, managing to align it perfectly displaying half of each one :D

• Like Like x 4
  17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Or displaying the wrong destination. In BR days when the bubble car was working the Stourbridge Town/Junction shuttle it would often display such exotic destinations as Blaneau Ffestiniog or Skegness!

18. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Well if it said Stourbridge you wouldn't want to get on it :D

(I'm from Kidderminster so allowed to make that joke :P)

• Like Like x 1
  19. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

:D lol you may have something there. I may end up moving to Kidderminster so I will find out what its like!

20. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Or the 141 on the right apparently going to a place called Westgate. British Rail, Metrotrain 2 x Class 141 Railbus DMUs at Hud… | Flickr

Or the 142 that gives its destinations in morse code 142066_Castleton_East_Junction.jpg (1024×768) (wikimedia.org)

:D