Diversity And Representation

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BlackTabby, Feb 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

All of the AI are just Caucasians with different skin tones, so they really should use different models of people around the world from places such as people from Africa, or Asia, and not just Europe. Also, they really should add people in wheelchairs to platforms and wheelchair accessible seats on board trains. Character creation also needs the option to choose transgender and non binary characters. TSW needs more diversity and representation.
    Please don't take this as a rant.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Active Member

I agree with this idea - the AI passengers are all very samey, even in places where in real life you're more likely to see a lot of variety. It'd make the game feel a bit more alive if there were more pedestrians at stations, and if the pedestrians were more varied in appearance!

• Like Like x 2
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree. There needs to be different types of people and heck even wheelchair people in the game. It would make the game more lively as well if they increased passenger numbers in stations and trains

• Like Like x 1
  4. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Having a more diverse TSW population is a great idea, especially the inclusion of ppl in wheelchairs. If a person (or 2, 3, 4, maybe 5?) in a wheelchair delays ur train, it’ll make TSW a more realistic game since this happens a lot irl. I agree with everyone here too, it’ll make the route more lively and realistic, but we’ll also need wheelchair diversity:)

• Like Like x 3
  5. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Active Member

It'd also be quite cool from an intricacy standpoint to include ramp functionality on carriages - I know it's just a small detail, but it could be pretty neat to check who's waiting at the platform and use the accessibility systems.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

Being someone who's legs are pretty much there just for show, I get to play in a wheelchair every day in real life. What I don't get to do every day in real life though is play with a train.

I'd much prefer the developers to focus on the core areas of the game as a train simulator that warrant development and/or improvement than spending too much time making sure that people like me feel 'included'. I want to play a good quality train simulator that simulates driving a train and don't feel any less included for not seeing any of us chariot drivers on the platforms, or sat in our 'special' seats. The none caucasian and trans guys and girls can have their own views on what they'd like to see in the game if they feel that representation is needed, but from the point of view of someone in a chair, I'm absolutely fine with not seeing us guys rolling around all over the parish if it detracts from core development of the actual train drivey bits of the game.

Personally, I find mucking around with a train way more interesting than mucking around in a chair, but that's just how I roll.

• Like Like x 10
  8. MetrolinkF125#916

True, just like IRL when the ramps are deployed to permit access to ppl in wheelchairs to board the train, that would be near instead of the passengers teleporting into the train lol.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MetrolinkF125#916

Well at this point it’s up to DTG to decide the future of TSW, and whether they’ll include representation of ppl like u as well as a more diverse population, and I really liked the ending there LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are non-caucasian passengers in the sim. Maybe not the best representations though. All the people are the same height, build and age too. The whole passenger system will be improved one day and we will see children and the elderly as well as some more minorities depicted. I don’t know how you would represent a transgender person in the sim, no more than how you would represent a person who is bipolar, vegan or adopted. There are some things you just can’t represent as they aren’t physical.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

Yep, it is their game and if they want to throw a few of us wheeled wonders in, I've no truck with that. From my perspective though, until someone finds a way of strapping a 3000bhp diesel engine to a 25kg jumble of plumber's piping on wheels and sends it down the East Coast mainline, I'd much prefer for them to just focus their time and resources on making the trains and routes the best they can. If I ever feel a burning need for inclusion, I can always throw my blue badge under the telly every time I stop at a station to simulate disabled parking entitlements.

Besides, given the stiffness of how the platform folk in the game walk, I'm not convinced that they don't all have their own mobility issues anyway.

• Like Like x 4