Tsw2 The Nippy Networker

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Feb 16, 2021.

1. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

For me the value comes from the experience of a new train, something which the 375 failed to deliver.

• Like Like x 2
  2. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Keep dreaming

• Like Like x 1
  3. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Hey, the Class 377 from East Coastway partly included some sounds from Armstrong Powerhouse. It wouldn't be completely unreasonable to assume they can get in touch again for the Class 465 :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yeah.

• Like Like x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

"Networker" was the BR name for the whole related family, originally the 165, 365 and 465. Certainly they are hard to tell apart visually, except for the headlights and other small details.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

Didn’t DLC’s come out with 3 or more locos back in the day? With TSW 2, the most we’ve seen is 2. I think they realized they can make more money by locking one or more of the locos behind a paywall. Yes, I know they have to make money, but I’d happily pay extra for a package deal, e.g. a route with 5 locos.

As for the 465, I don’t think I’ll personally buy it. There’s nothing wrong with it but it doesn’t really interest me, especially since it adds nothing new to the route in terms of services. But for those who enjoy it, I think it will deliver.

Definitely looking forward to Clinchfield soon!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

There was SPG, GWE, and TVL—unless you want to include cab cars, in which case RSN, MSB, and SFJ would be included. Thus far, there has only been two locomotives per TSW2 route at most, even if you include cab cars.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

Also NTP

• Like Like x 2
  9. Callum B.

Doh! I forgot about the 101. Thanks.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

it looks nice but why should I buy this one? For me it depends on additional gameplay, not just more of the same stuff. I tend to wait for a good sale.

• Like Like x 2
  11. solicitr

I don't quite understand why it doesn't come with its own timetable. RL 465s run different services from the Electrostars, why couldn't they be reproduced?

Even as humble a loco as the BR 204 came with its own timetable and three scenarios.

• Like Like x 4
  12. ionutmineadaniel

ionutmineadaniel Well-Known Member

The services that the 465 run are already in the game they won't take out content for the ones that will not buy 465

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

They were originally similar when first built, but subsequent refurbs have meant that some now have distinct variations depending on region
    The smiley trains can't be confused for a 465!

• Like Like x 1
  14. johnmcglade17

johnmcglade17 Active Member

is the 465 going to come with Sheerness branch

• Like Like x 1
  15. ARuscoe

Nowadays IRL 465s run maybe 2 services a day along the CML, 465/466 from Strood to Paddock Wood or Tonbridge and metro services from Gravesend into London

So you'd only see a couple on the CML, a unit sat on P3 at Strood and between Gravesend and Northfleet at most. DTG have already said that the Gravesend to Rainham and Gravesend to Faversham services weren't included as default in the route, but when everyone complained about the services on the route they put the 375 in as a stopgap to fill the services up for release, and it's this service layer which will substitute the 465 if someone buys it.
    Matt did say that many of these services are actually 9Pxx services run by Thameslink 700s IRL but they've subbed in the 375 and soon the 465 for these in game

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. ARuscoe

No, this has been confirmed multiple times by DTG

• Like Like x 2
  17. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind routes coming with just two new vehicles and more added later. I am more upset about the fact so many "new" vehicles are basically remakes of different ones, not brand new. Granted it increases work needed for a DLC, but it would significantly help the attractiveness. Looking at the roadmap SD40-2 is going to appear TWICE again and we already have it. Hamburg-Lübbeck basically has a slightly different BR143 and a reskin for BR182. BR218 instead of BR112 would go a great length to make that DLC an instant grab. Same for SD40-2 on Clinchfield being replaced by GP7 high nose, AC4400W on Cane Creek replaced by SD70Ace or here begin with 395+465 combination. Yes, this narrows potential for loco DLCs, but those have been mentioned to sell way worse than routes anyway. Why not make routes way more attractive, to begin with, and sell way more. Having two completely different trains on SEHS would make me buy it rather than now. No need to launch a route with a complete roster of locomotives, just give me two really interesting ones.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ARuscoe

One word at the moment... COVID
    A lot harder to physically go out and investigate and research new locos to build so repurposing existing models is probably much easier than creating new from scratch

• Like Like x 1
  19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Loco DLC never adds parts of a route, just trains and services.
    I believe that was the original plan but then as part of the considerable feedback to the first preview people were complaining there weren’t enough services, so the 465 services were added to the 375 timetable to increase the services in the base route, which rendered the 465 as a substitution loco only.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  20. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

So the 465 is doing same services as 375.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Yes , the 465 is just a substitution for the 375

• Like Like x 1
  22. WVUadam

Would be SEHS as that's the new route. So screenshots of 465 on SEHS.

• Like Like x 1
  23. WVUadam

Will be getting it. So route has more variety

• Like Like x 2
  24. ARuscoe

On the Gravesend to Faversham or Rainham services and a couple of Victoria to Faversham services the 465 will sub in for the 375, the 375 has a lot of Victoria to East Kent services which it runs almost exclusively so hopefully we won't see random subbing, but specific services which the 465 does (or has in the past) run

I don't want to see a 465 doing a regular Victoria - Ramsgate service for example as it wouldn't do that IRL, but a Gravesend to Rainham is almost acceptable (though it should really be a TL700)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

No. Clinchfield is coming with an SD40.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Where did you get this information? Is it your assumption? Can you let us know the source? I did not rad this anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  27. ARuscoe

Matt said it on stream last week or the week before.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

465’s have done Dover Priory slow services not entirely unrealistic if they go to Faversham

• Like Like x 1
  30. ARuscoe

Agreed, but past Rainham you should see maybe one 465, between Rainham and Rochester 1 or 2, between Rochester and Gravesend 1 and between Gravesend and Northfleet maybe 2 (all coming the other way of course)
    You might also expected to see some stopped at Rochester P3 in the evening rush as some services terminate there
    https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/J18341/2021-02-17/detailed - example of a 90mph (so 465) service terminating at Rochester P3

• Like Like x 1
  31. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

I am slightly concerned that we're going to see an over abundance of 465s. It's a lovely addition, but I can't help but to feel as if we're going to get the same kind of feel as if you create a single livery and it starts being applied to half the route.

• Like Like x 3
  32. ARuscoe

There isn't a lot of variation in real life. The 465s all look the same, the 395s all look the same (bar "the bow"), the 700s all look the same (that has a bow too but not on the North Kent lines I believe), the 375s are all dark blue and we don't get too many freightliner 66s down this way so even freight locos are the same. The 59s are a welcome break a couple of times a day but they're not in game

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

But many of these have already been researched for TS1, haven't they? Not like you take low-resolution photos just because it's for a less detailed game. All of the trains mentioned are there IIRC. This explanation also doesn't apply for SEHS as the other vehicle clearly has been researched.

34. ARuscoe

Not all of the locos in TS1 started out as DTG locos. Many are Kuju, RSC, BMG etc and although quite a lot of that remains in DTG, that wouldn't be the case for all of it, and it's not just how it looks but the simugraph aspect as well

The DTG office is in Chatham, the SEHS route runs within 2 miles of their office and Matt has stated he did research on it pre-COVID
    Bit of a difference between "popping down the road" and going to Germany or the US

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

But for example, Clinchfield has been done very recently. It features four locomotives in TS1 and is also longer. High nose GP7 is therefore probably well researched anyway and could be featured instead of relatively similar SD40.
    That's the point. Even with their office so close the route itself features only one new unit and one reskin, not two new units. The reskin in talk also had so little work put into it that it inherited all the bugs of its predecessor. Such an approach to rolling stock really hinders the potential of new routes.

36. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

In SEHS’ case, I think they made the right choice including the 375 as the supporting unit, since it’s the 375 that provides most of the services along the CML, if we had the 465 as the included unit, the route would be lifeless.

I agree that it’s pretty shocking that minimal work went into the 375, but I’m much happier to pay for a 465 with no additional services, than I would be if I had to pay for the 375 with additional services.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

And also getting the Armstrong Powerhouse enhancement sounds for the 465!

• Like Like x 2
  38. solicitr

Which begs the question, why do they have 375s running 465 services to begin with?

• Like Like x 1
  39. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

To increase route traffic.

The MVL & CML are quite awkward in terms of where the start and end points are in game, so you’re left with having to decide between lots of smaller services that only run a couple of stations, supported by non operable AI portal runs, or, just biting the bullet and letting some realism slip for the sake of gameplay.

Realistically we should have the 700 running most of the services from Gravesend.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

There has been multiple discussions of how the 465 will just be a substitution for the 375 on the forums and on many railfan tv streams so look there

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. solicitr

It would seem then that the logical thing to do would be, IF the 465 is installed, is to have it replace the AI 375s on the appropriate services (the player can of course choose either in Timetable, although I can't see the Networker handling the expresses). Those who don't purchase it just have the 375 for everything.

• Like Like x 2
  42. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. Sprinter

Sprinter Well-Known Member

After the patch the SEHS route is so much better. And the Class395 sounds are enjoyable now. It is very relaxing driving this route. Can't wait for the 465 to come out, and have even more fun:)

• Like Like x 2
  44. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

I was more talking about how throws the available loco's and liveries in a random pool resulting in unrealistic amounts of each on a route. E.g. I made a leased loco livery for Sand Patch and half of the loco's had the livery applied.

• Like Like x 1
  45. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

AFAIR it was only the EMU's which were referred to AS "Networker"? (Although at the design stage they may have been known as the "Networker" family or "Networker" project?)

I always thought the Class 165 and Class 166 were known as "Turbo" - "Thames Turbo" and "Chiltern Turbo". (And the Class 159 were just known as 159 Turbo's?)

• Like Like x 2
  46. Callum B.

I recall 166s being referred to as Networker Turbo, so it is possibly a case of "all of the above".

Cheers

47. solicitr

AIUI, the 165s were introduced as "Networkers," and then the speedier 166s as "Networker Turbos." Only the last bit has stuck, especially since, as you say, Network Southeast branded the commuter services "Thames Turbo" and "Chiltern Turbo" no matter which model;* but in the late 80s/early 90s BR were concerned with making a marketing push out of the replacement of their aging first-gen DMUs, and the overall name "Networker" was part of that.

*And after all, both models (like nearly all diesel trains) are turbocharged!

48. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

No. The Class 165s were originally known as Network Turbos (note that it is not Networker, just Network). Later Networkers were officially known as Networkers, including the 465/466 and 365s, with the diesel 166s being Networker Turbos. The Networker was originally going to be more than a family of trains, but a programme to replace slam door stock in the south east. The many variations of these designs, like the Class 371 and 342, were never built. There were individual brands for the different trains, like Thames and Chiltern Turbo and Kent Link Networker, but that wasn't unique for the Networker family.

The Turbostars (presumably named after the Turbo designation used on 165s and 166s) and Electrostars were based on the Networker design and, considering their hand in replacing slam door trains, could be interpreted as an alternate Networker programme, and one far larger in scope than the original, reaching the far north of Scotland to South Africa.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Matt P said in my stream that they had licensed the AP sounds for this version.

• Like Like x 5
  50. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

No need to dream. Matt P said it has AP sounds when visiting my stream.

• Like Like x 3