Next British Route (speculation)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by UnlimitedMagic, Feb 15, 2021.

1. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more!! Woodhead would be the perfect option to run lots of interesting locos. Something to be had for everyone, for sure. Always was one of my favorites too, though. I'd give anything to see it recreated in TSW, with perhaps some early diesels and 76/77 electric locos. The 76/77 are definitely different beasts to drive, and would add greatly to the variety. Enough of these 150+ mph rockets we have got lately, and lets get some real trains going. :cool:

• Like Like x 5
  2. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Well yes. Something like one of the Sub Surface lines would be better than deep tube. They have more open sections so DTG would get things more accurate

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I agree. Maybe the Circle and H&C could be made.

4. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Different strokes for different folks isn't it. I dislike German dlc and have never bought one of their routes apart from Rapid Transit & Koln - Aachen which came bundled with TSW & TSW2 respectively.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

The Woodhead route does seem like it'd be very well suited to TSW with its nice mixture of long distance and regular local services whilst not being too long at just over 40 miles. Plus, I do like the idea of driving the 506 with its primitive cab.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Some of the Woodhead electrics ended up in the hands of NS, so that may appeal to our Dutch colleagues as well.

• Like Like x 3
  7. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the Woodhead line in TSW2, my work office overlooks what is left of the old Sheffield Victoria station (end of the Woodhead line).

• Like Like x 4
  8. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Another route I wouldn't mind seeing in my route library would be the Western Lines of Scotland, Carlisle to Stranraer, complete with the branch down to Kirkcudbright. Pretty much as it is in OGTS. That would be glorious too, if done right.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

I guess at this point DTG are planning what the big annual update later this year will be, so here's hoping it will be kettle orientated.

Whatever the next British Route is, I just hope that it gives opportunity to run a wide selection of stock and its not limited to one type of train like the bakerloo was. Would be more than happy for them to redo the Riveria Line

• Like Like x 6
  10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’d love to see kings cross to York attempted. Long I know but would be amazing as heavy freight does run on bits of it

• Like Like x 1
  11. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

F10490BF-BBFC-45E5-BF2C-52CFE7ED7CEA.jpeg I want See the Class 700 from Thameslink as Next dlc route.
    Thats the Trains i prefer for English Routes

• Like Like x 3
  12. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Good shout. I’d love to see these, the Azuma trains and the heavy freight on ECML

• Like Like x 3
  13. UnlimitedMagic

Maybe on the Brighton Main Line. You would get class, 377/4, Class 700, Class 387, Class 165/166

• Like Like x 4
  14. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

My speculation, or perhaps wishful thinking, include;

Riviera Line, since it was one of the most suggested routes, has a length that is similar to other TSW routes, DTG already done it for TS so they can reuse the research, and can even reuse some of the rolling stock made for other routes.

Woodhead Line, because it opens up the possiblity to add steam trains in the future, while initially releasing it with electric traction only. Already made it (twice!) for Train Simulator.

West Highland Line, also much requested route, and although it's longer, the open landscape might use the same tech as used for the LGV. However, DTG didn't create it for Train Simulator (third parties did, AFAIK). They could still reuse some rolling stock already created if I'm not mistaken.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

A historic GEML could provide something very interesting.

The 1950s saw electrification already as far as Shenfield (Where to 306s ran to and from Liverpool Street from 1949-) with extensions to Chelmsford being done in 1956. A real interesting mix of traction with 10 Woodhead Electrics being based at Ilford in 1950 and 51, around the same time Britannia's were introduced on the line. Also plenty of early other early diesel and electric traction too with the first diesel locomotive-hauled (Class 31) mainline service on the route being in 1957, The 60s saw the branch down to Southend be electrified too. The region also saw Class 15s, 16s, 24s, 31s, 37s and 40s amongst others being used in the 60s alongside the multitude of first-generation DMUs and first-gen overhead electrics. The mix of steam and early diesel and electric in the 1950s and 60s would make for interesting gameplay.

For me personally, though the late 1980s would be the most interesting and likely easiest option given the current content in the game (I know it's the most common period in the game but I'm fantasising here so hear me out :cool:). The main traction would be the 309 and 312 provide the main bulk of passenger traffic with Intercity and Freight locomotives mainly being the 31, 37, 47 and 86.

If we assume the same route as the TS2020 version (Liverpool St to Ipswich+Felixstowe and Harwich Branches) then a base route with the Class 37 (BR Blue or Railfreight Distribution Livery), Class 86 (Intercity livery and either BR Blue of Railfreight Distribution again) and 312 (NSE Livery) would be sufficient, especially if the 31 and 47 from NTP and TVL were used for extra freight services. DLC could add an NSE liveried Class 309 as well as maybe the Class 315 which could be fun.

The 1st generation overhead EMUs seem very underrepresented in both sim and scale modelling so I'd really like to experience an era from my home railway that I've never been able to before. Plus a nice electric loco would be a lovely addition to the game too, and the existing content could support the route and era very nicely. I'm just fantasising out loud really but even without my sentimental attachment I still think it would make for some interesting gameplay and something surprisingly unique with old EMUs.

• Like Like x 2
  16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The TVL class 37/5 I think could be fairly easily modified to a 37/4 for the West Highland Line. I personally would hope they wouldn't use auto gen scenery or use it sparingly as the scenery would be the biggest selling point of the line and if it turned out to be bland then it really would be disappointing. The one by Thomson in TS1 is very well done. The actual line length isn't that long, if you are talking about the Fort William to Mallaig line, I think it is only around 60 miles.

Plus there was a class 101 vehicle used as part of a land cruise train so the obligatory use of a class 101 vehicle in a BR period pack could continue!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Fort William to Mallaig is 41 miles according to https://store.steampowered.com/app/277748/Train_Simulator_West_Highland_Line_Extension_Route_AddOn/

And although the above route is pretty nice, personally I would prefer the section through Rannoch Moor, as featured in https://store.steampowered.com/app/277761/Train_Simulator_West_Highland_Line_South_Route_AddOn/ . That's really an unique landscape I have never seen on any other UK route.

• Like Like x 1
  18. theorganist

My problem with that route was that it started at Helensburgh North which to be honest spoilt it for me. The idea of leaving the big city terminus at Glasgow Central and then going along towards wilder scenery appealed, Helensburgh North is such an odd place to start and not realistic. I agree though the scenery over Rannoch Moor is wonderful and would look great done well in TSW. Going from Glasgow would make it far too long though, if they wouldn't go that far in TS1 they certainly won't in TSW.

19. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

166? Don't they only run for like a stop or two on the Mainline?

20. UnlimitedMagic

I mean it’s something I guess

21. theorganist

Whilst eventually I would like to see the Brighton Mainline I hope the next route isn't another south eastern route!

• Like Like x 3
  22. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Hopefully London - Brighton

• Like Like x 2
  23. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I’d like a modernish Manchester Piccadilly to Liverpool Lime Street via Warrington Central route.

Set in 2015ish allows for plenty of variety.
    Northern Classes 142, 150 & 156
    East Midlands Trains Class 156 & 158
    TransPennine Express Class 185

Freightliner or GBRf liveried Class 66 for Trafford Park freight liner terminal

• Like Like x 3
  24. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I predict an Anglian route, or London Victoria to Brighton or the remainder of the Chatham main line

• Like Like x 1
  25. Tank621

Definitely a +1 on anything around Manchester, I'd personally like to see something slightly more recent with the Nova fleet represented

• Like Like x 2
  26. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Keep getting my hopes up for 80s/90s Devon or Cornwall especially when seeing progress on water textures.
    Start with Swallow and executive HST, class 50+ mk2 and customary101.
    In terms of a long lasting dlc
    Class 47/50 NSE dlc various mk1s and 2s
    Sectors pack 33(dutch) 47(post red) 50(rf distribution)with cargo wagon, ballast wagon and Royal mail coaches.
    Class 37 China Clay pack with hoppers
    Class 150 dlc
    Class 142 dlc

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  27. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Bristol to Salisbury :D

• Like Like x 2
  28. formulabee#1362

I personally prefer modern day routes bc there is more variety and liveries

• Like Like x 2
  29. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Getting licences for so much traffic is my only reservation for modern riviera.
    Devon main line in this period had tons of liveries, and many of the yards and extra platforms still existed.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  30. theorganist

Really, more variety? Take the Riviera for example, probably one of the routes which still has some variety, what do you have now, a class 150, maybe a 153, a 166 on longer distance working, a shortened HST, a Voyager and a Hitachi thing and of course the obligatory class 66.

Go back to 1990, you have first generation DMU's of class 101, 108, 122; Sprinters class 150 maybe a 155 or a 156, HST's, loco hauled trains of class 47 and 50 plus summer Saturday workings often with vacuum braked stock which could have brought anything into the area, a class 31 or a no heat class 47/3, freight workings with class 31, 37, 47, 50, 56 maybe a class 33. I don't see that the modern day operations have more variety, more colourful liveries I will give you that.

• Like Like x 4
  31. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Yes, in most of the places there was more variety in the past, but technically Dtg can only include a limited amount of trains and coaches, soo it does not really matter! My taste personally would be a route based around 2000-2015. As some may know it is preferably Cornwall. But I guess the next route will be something northern-ish, so maybe some scotrail action. Let's see.

• Like Like x 2
  32. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

The routes I enjoy the most are the mixed traffic ones.
    Much more interesting than the single purpose lines.

That said I did enjoy the tap changer in the Woodhead.
    Also nice to find a new skill to master.

33. formulabee#1362

For me, I enjoy modern day uk routes the most, with mixed traffic

• Like Like x 2
  34. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Woodhead would be good but probably a bit too close in area to existing NTP. Central Wales would be lovely but not much scope for operations even if you had diversion day with freights running over there and a loco hauled railtour. That said, It would be a good means of getting either a Class 108 or even better Class 120 DMU in the game and, AFAIK it’s a line that has never been done in any of the big three sims.

Anyway my smart money would be on Riviera Line to run the GW heritage collection, maybe even another preserved line (Severn Valley or East Lancs). As yet we haven’t seen anything from the Midlands, so outside chance it could be something like Cross City Lichfield to Redditch or Coventry to Wolverhampton. Both those fit in the TSW route length paradigm and, regardless of era, would sell like hot cakes.

• Like Like x 2
  35. theorganist

I am surprised the Cross City hasn't been done commercially yet. I also suspect a 1970's Riviera will turn up soon and require the use of the 1970's GWML pack.

If only, however I suspect there is more chance of me being the next James Bond!

I agree the Central Wales line wouldn't offer that much scope in terms of playability with a very sparse passenger service, not sure how much freight went down there. It would be more about the scenery and a laid back relaxed drive, not sure how that would appeal, I wouldn't mind it, the West Highland would be the same, nice scenery but not a particularly challenging drive. Routes like the TGV or Bakerloo don't offer any more variety though.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  36. NeilM4472

NeilM4472 New Member

One route I really enjoyed on TS was the Manchester to Liverpool, I'd like to see that on TSW 2.

• Like Like x 4
  37. OldVern

In the 70s the only regular freight was a trip from Llandeilo Jn to Llandovery hauled by an 03, plus the coal traffic at Pantyfyynon. I don’t think there was much on the scenic core, between Knighton and Llandovery, newspapers and mail were carried on the 0400 something DMU ex Shrewsbury, back in the days when the service was 5 trains a day in each direction.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. Tank621

One of my regular places for spotting is right near Trafford Park, I think an older setting might be better, these days it's Northern 195s and Sprinters, and EMR Sprinters for the most part, the freight is interesting but would only be quite short into Trafford Park unless maybe the older Freight network around Trafford was modelled too

• Like Like x 1
  39. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

Midland Mainline set between either Sheffield and Nottingham or London to, bedford is realistic but who wants to stop in bedford? maybe Wellingborough or Leicester if they can stretch it.

222/HST sets in modern era

OR

Valenta Midland Mainline turquoise HST era

• Like Like x 3
  40. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

But back then it was all DMUs and Diesel loco hauled stock. Now you get DMU’s, DEMU’s, Electrics (albeit running on diesel) and Loco hauled.

A ‘hitachi thing’. Haha. I can tell you don’t appreciate the complexities of modern units.

• Like Like x 2
  41. theorganist

Having travelled on one, I didn't appreciate the seats or the feeling of being cocooned. It was quiet though on diesel and quite smooth and do look smart in GWR green. What I most object too is the fact that we have to import trains like this now when we used to build them.

There were more variety of diesels back in the day, you had HST's, 47's, 50's, holiday trains brought in things like class 31's or tatty no heat class 47's the DMU's in 1990 would have been Sprinters and two or three types of first generation unit.

I cannot see the variety is as rich today, it is probably better than in other parts of the country, East Anglia now would be pretty much a Stadler diesel or an electric and of course a class 66. But you might get two or three classes of DMU that is about as much excitement and two types of express train the Voyager and class 800/801 or whatever they are lol. I assume the loco hauled trains are the sleepers which run once a day plus the ugly class 66's which are everywhere. These are the real sadness to me, we made some wonderful mainline diesels now we have to import these hideous things, this is just my opinion by the way.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying SEHS and when it comes to simulators enjoy driving most things and I would enjoy the Riviera set in todays period but for me that enjoyment would be magnified 100 times for each decade you go back. Around 1960 would be perfect, steam, early Warships and some early heritage DMU's, but that is just fantasy as I cannot see that being ever realised!

• Like Like x 2
  42. formulabee#1362

I agree

43. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

I think I remember them saying it was between Bakerloo and Piccadilly line and went with Bakerloo due to the shorter length. LU I think is still quite popular here so maybe we could see it sometime in the autumn? I think TSW is trying to be more varied in terms of metro/underground and introducing more high speed and eventually steam.

44. theorganist

I can't say I would be jumping for joy if the next route is another underground route. The Bakerloo looks nice but I have had a couple of drives up and down it and had a ride as a passenger and a wander around and I don't feel enthused to do so again for another six months! Still I recognise everyone is different.

• Like Like x 3
  45. formulabee#1362

Same

• Like Like x 1
  46. UnlimitedMagic

Same here. I’ve been on this line a few times and it’s great. I only have a problem with Piccadilly Circus

• Like Like x 1
  47. Tank621

Tbh I wouldn't buy another underground route, one is plenty for me. I would buy pretty much any other British content though but that's just me

• Like Like x 4
  48. OldVern

I might buy an Underground route with more diversity - the Northern or Circle/District/Metropolitan but I too found the same thing with the Bakerloo. It got monotonous and not helped by Timetable Mode not saving properly so you couldn't even keep making consecutive runs.

• Like Like x 6
  49. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Ideally I'd like to see something that they haven't already done for TS1. There are still a ton of great routes in the UK that haven't been made for any DTG train simulator. Not that there's anything wrong with remaking popular TS1 routes in TSW, but I'm ready for something new, rather than the same thing but with nicer lighting and shinier trains.

50. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

We’re unlikely to see anything DTG haven’t already done for a while, I can’t imagine they’ll be sending people on on reference hunts for a good few months at least, then prep and dev time etc, probably gonna be a couple of years before we get something ‘new’.

• Like Like x 2