PlayStation Are Db Drivers Required To Use Afb?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Aufzug, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

I've seen a couple of in cab videos where the driver isn't using AFB. Is it a requirement to use AFB, or do drivers not use it so they actually feel like they're in control of the train?

2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I’m not actually sure if they have to as it’s not a safety system

3. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I mean apparently you don't HAVE to use it if they are not doing it. I think this is a personal preference, some people like to use it, some don't. I personally always use cruise control when I can, but I can see people that would never use such a system :)

4. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

I like using it too! It makes 500/1000hz magnet slow downs much easier!

5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Indeed. Looking at official DB documentation a while back, there‘s no rule that forces you to use AFB. It‘s strongly encouraged (at least for DB Fernverkehr), but no driver is required or obligated to use it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

That’s what I wasn’t sure of: freight, REGIO and ICE Services all have locomotives with AFB functionality, but maybe one strongly encourages it while another doesn’t!

7. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Cab videos I've seen they usually activate it when moving. If it is anything like the game, I would be turning it off...climbing up a gradient and not reaching the AFB set speed is common occurrence.

The AFB brakes can be quite strong so I don't know for sure if that affects passenger comfort. I prefer to use the electric brakes myself and train brakes for a station stop.

Though I use it for ICE because of LZB.

8. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

The advantage i see is that I can focus much more on the route ahead rather than looking at the speed dials all the time, and it makes the drive a bit more relaxed, which I think is especially important for professional drivers.

9. Lamplight

I‘ve seen one freight cab ride with the driver‘s desk in view. He didn‘t use AFB at all. In another documentation I saw, a freight driver said he just sets AFB to PZB Vmax and doesn‘t really touch it otherwise. I‘m sure though that there‘s also a sizeable number of freight drivers using it more, but those are the two accounts I know for sure.

I‘ve never seen an ICE cab ride where AFB wasn‘t used, so it‘s probably a fair assumption that there is a lot variation between Fernverkehr, Regio and Cargo.

AFB is never used to slow the train down in real life. It brakes extremely hard and fast. I think it may actually be forbidden to use AFB for slowing down, but I‘d have to look at the official rules again before making that claim. In a German forum, I read a real driver saying that you should use the electric brakes manually when descending a gradient as AFB sawtooths - brakes hard, releases, brakes hard, releases, ... Meanwhile a manual application of the electric brake can just keep your speed steady without doing that.

And just a nice bit of German rules since it sort of vaguely relates to your point: For stopping the train (station stop, Hp0 signal, ...), the sole application of the electric brakes is actually forbidden. It makes sense, of course, but I think it‘s interesting that there‘s an official rule about it.

• Like Like x 4
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's Germany. There's an official rule about everything.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lamplight

Fair point :)

• Like Like x 1