Clinchfield Railroad: Predictions & Speculations

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Blacknred81, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So with the Clinchfield route's achievements now on SteamDB, I figured I put out a few thoughts about what I expect to see from the route, based on what is known, the TS2021 route, and real life data.

-Timetable mode may get interesting
    One thing that might be of interest would be the timetable mode for this route, as unlike CSX's Sand Patch Grade, Clinchfield's mainline consists of single track running with about 5 or 6 passing sidings between the yard's in Elkhorn and Dante (Based on the TS21 route). Meaning there may be a possibility of Red Signals and holding in siding for oncoming trains, if DTG includes it or if the Timetable dispatcher can handle it. Most trains I believe will make their runs between Elkhorn City and Dante, with some starting or ending at either yard (Depending on the train). I also except some local traffic on the line as well.

-Local Coal Jobs
    Another thing that will make this route different from SPG is the coal loading. In SPG, these were done on large loaders with a constantly moving train. Based off of TS21, there are 22 different coal loaders between Elkhorn and Dante, with 5 located off of Branch Lines, ranging from large facilities, to small tipples. It may also add in timetable jobs where the player must either collect, or load coal hoppers at these locations as a local job.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

-Paint Schemes

I think we will get both of Clinchfield's diesel schemes in for TSW2. With DTG already using both in the TS21 version of the route, I wouldn't expect anything different for TSW2 as well (Especially since we are only getting 2 locos)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Rolling Stock Predictions
    I think at least the following pieces of rolling stock will be used on the route, most are based on what came with the TS21 version of the route.

-3-Bay Coal Hopper (80 Ton) (CRR)
    [​IMG]

-50ft Boxcar (CRR or Generic)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -3 Bay Covered Hopper (Generic)
    -Tank Car (Generic)
    -
    Center beam Car (Generic)
    -Bulkhead Flatcar (Generic)

-The Caboose will make its debut
    Due to the era that this route will be set, I have a good feeling that the caboose will make its appearance as usable rolling stock for this route. The only real question is which version will DTG use for this route, as we most likely will only get 1 model of caboose.

1. Off Set Cupola (FC-5): This is what I would most likely expect to be included if they were added to the route. As all 7 of CRR's FC-5s still exist in some form. Also this caboose was included in the GE U36C DLC for TS21.
    [​IMG]
    Screenshot_Clinchfield Railroad - Elkhorn City to St Paul_36.89731--82.29177_09-30-36.jpg

2. Centered Cupola: This is really the only other common caboose I've seen on Clinchfield's roster, however there do seem to be some differences depending on the run number on the car. However, centered Cupolas were used in the TS21 version of the route.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I could be completely off about some of these, however, it is nice to see that the 1st US DLC for TSW2 is finally on the Horizon.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 18
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

If there is a caboose in any mod I will buy it!! :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Given the era, I doubt centerbeam flatcars or intermodals will be included.

it would be a nice touch if the locos came with both liveries as options, as in SPG and the GWE version of the Class 66.

And, oh yeah, if the followon loco DLC is a GP7 high-nose....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Blacknred81

I never stated anything about intermodal equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Just from a technical perspective, this is what I‘m most curious about. As SKA‘s S-Bahn shows, the dispatcher seems to have some real problems with single track operations, so I‘m really looking forward to finding out how they‘ve handled this.

Otherwise, very nicely put together and informative thread :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. OsamaBinLiftin

OsamaBinLiftin Active Member

Also curious how this will turn out with the dispatcher handling single track on the Arosa Line, given that it's nearly entirely single tracked.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

Would love to get classic GP7 too!!
    Hm, and Clinchfield Santa Claus Special for Timetable or as a Scenario would be great :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Nice bit of work Blacknred81.
    Sadly American coal hauling is not of great interest to me, so I'll be sitting this one out.
    Unless of course it's a blinder.

• Like Like x 2
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yes, a very interesting aspect of this route :)
    More road switching for TSW \o/
    Must have working toilets! Such a joke :D

My additional expectations:
    - new gameplay mechanics eg. coupler physics
    - polished landscape

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to this route, it's been too long since the last good freight route. I don't know how (not) busy the route was but I hope the number of services won't be limited by dispatcher issues.
    I'd also love to see some local branches to coal mines and coal tipples, like the ones on Sand Patch

• Like Like x 6
  11. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

While SPG is double tracked, the Shaw Mine services added with the Dash 8 create single track traffic patterns with wrong line running in both directions. This is handled well in the current iteration of the dispatcher, even when player driven trains wreak havoc with the schedule.

I am hopeful for some awesome service mode runs and the opportunity to create some chaos with the Clinchfield.

• Like Like x 4
  12. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

Finally a new US route since peninsula corridor in August of 2019, I’m very eager to see the first screenshots!

I also believe DTG picked quite a good section of the line from Dante to Elkhorn city. Dozens of coal tipples and loaders (as mentioned in the OP) in the coalfields are located in the north end of the railroad. Including the Dante classification yard.
    I really hope this will be a high-quality DLC with radio chatter, good sounds&functionality and hopefully an accessible F7 engine room! :D

• Like Like x 7
  13. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Looks like speculations will be over soon: Appalachian Gem
    (wow, that was very quick)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Blacknred81

So, the article today confirms the release of Cabooses with the route, and more specifically the FC-5 off set Santa Fe style Cupola caboose, I'm not going write off the other ones just yet, as they could always be added in as part of a later locomotive DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  15. JustWentSouth

.... and loco horns that shake houses and echo through the valleys! I hope they can channel Searchlight Simulations TS horns.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Not to mention it'll have some branch lines and spurs included (as listed):
    -Fremont Branch
    -Nora Spur
    -Greenbriar/Haysi Branch
    -McClure Spur
    Plus, set in the '70s to late '80s
    But until we see actual screenshots of the route in TSW2, all we got for now is just words. So the speculation continues.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GildenSpikeRailVideos

GildenSpikeRailVideos Member

I hope.

• Like Like x 3
  18. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I already own the route for TS2021 so I will be giving it a miss.

• Like Like x 1
  19. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a map of the route and branch lines we're actually getting?

• Like Like x 2
  20. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Very interesting and in depth! I can’t wait to get our hands on this route!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The F7 and SD40 horns in the TS version were outstanding, in my opinion. I hope they used them though I can't remember if they were imported or in-house.

• Like Like x 2
  22. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Can't wait for more information on this route as we get closer to the release. I just hope there will be enough good to outweigh the inevitable bad.

• Like Like x 2
  23. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

My prediction? Prepare to be disappointed, if LGV and SEHS are anything to go by.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Or Isle of Wight, eh...

Really looking forward to it though, if it turns out good, I'm definitely buying it as I like american freight.

• Like Like x 3
  25. JustWentSouth

Maybe I am not hearing the horns you are referring to. I don't own Clinchfield in TS, but I listened to some YouTube videos of the horn sounds on route release. Perhaps it is different in game, but in my opinion, the GP 38 horn was unfortunate. The SD 40 and F-7 horns were slightly better, but still not loud enough and lacked the proper reverberation. Horns like this is what I would love to hear in TSW2:

I wish I could transplant any of these onto the CSX locos; it would make the SPG experience even better in my opinion.

In TS, my favorite stock horn is in the D&RGW SD40T-2. The CN Oakville TSW2 horns are also good as are the CalTrain horns.

Horns on North American diesels should be felt in addition to heard. They should make you involuntarily take a step back as the train approaches. It is the feel and the echo that make a horn authentic, moreso than having the precisely accurate horn type in my opinion. Obviously, it is better to have both, but give me the good house shaking horn every time.

• Like Like x 3
  26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yeah, Searchlight Simulations :)
    Nice showcase You linked. Very fleshy ones.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Dinosbacsi

I think it's safe to say that the CalTrain horns are one of the bests in TSW.

• Like Like x 6
  28. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I'd like to see more of an HMA approach to things.

• Like Like x 3
  29. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I would love for it to be a great add-on! It might encourage more period American routes. I'd love to see Pennsy or Reading in the late 60s -- it would allow for classic electric EMUs and locos like the GG1, MP54, the Budd Silverliner II or Metroliner...

• Like Like x 4
  30. Blacknred81

Main map from TS21, Top is Elkhorn City, bottom is Dante. You can see part of the branch lines on the map as well.
    aaa.png

-Haysi Branch (TS21)
    aaaaaa.png

-McClure Spur (TS21)
    aaaaaaa.png

-Fremont Branch (Cr. Abandoned Rails)
    aaaaa.png

-Nora Spur (Abandoned Rails)
    aaaaaaaaa.png

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 7
  31. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Things to note, this is a coal hauler route - not a freight route. Sure theres thru traffic so somthing other than a coal gon would be welcome. That being said, i hope there are working coal tipples and plenty of them. The F7 in TS was decent, same prime mover and exhaust sounds would be welcome (they were never that bad compared to other stock)
    The sd40 is "technically" another engine but be sure itll likely be a slightly worked sd40-2 from spg. That's how dtg operates w new routes. One new piece of stock, one (or more) "slightly reworked" additional stock
    And the sd40 in TS was pretty crap, gnarly physics and sounds.
    The F7 and GP7 are decent, shame we didnt get the geep.
    Ive been ready for this route, dtg did a higher than avg job on the TS vers so heres to hoping.
    Will it be rushed like SEHS and mostly auto-gen? Very likely. Dont get me wrong, not trying to dare go a-grain this new "wave of positivity" sweeping this forum, im not a pessimist but a realist. Track record is key (pun intended)

ah and be prepared for the addon that will come in a few more mo's that will be a gp7 or u36c

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  32. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Like a lot of the recent content, it promises much. It's something different, let's hope it delivers.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Scenery on this route shouldn't be very hard. Mountains with tons of trees. Most of the detail is trackside. The mountains just need lots of 2D deciduous trees on them.

• Like Like x 2
  34. breblimator

breblimator Guest

with a leafless variant for a snowless winter

• Like Like x 3
  35. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  36. Dinosbacsi

Well that's true. Sand Patch Grade is similar and I think it's one of the best looking TSW routes, even though it was the first one ever. So if it's on a similar level, we're good.

• Like Like x 5
  37. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

I too think that this route will be something really special. So unless DTG manages to FUBAR this one completely (which of course is something that could very well happen), it looks to be a fantastic route. Beautiful, interesting, F7s, definitely a recipe for something extraordinarily as far as routes go. Geeps as a separate DLC later on? *HERE, TAKE MY MONEY*

• Like Like x 7
  38. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, I would gladly pay top dollar for a loco pack containing a GP7, GP38 and the U- Boat. And then there's steam...... but let's not get carried away.:)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  39. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Hopefully they announce a dlc to the clinch field in the next 2 roadmaps, since DTG said in abt 2-3 roadmaps they’ll announce the next batch of dlc coming to TSW, since most of the existing ones are either announced or released already.

• Like Like x 3
  40. MetrolinkF125#916

If that comes to TSW...

HERE DTG, TAKE MY MONEY, I DONT CARE, I NEED THESE LOCOS!

• Like Like x 2
  41. JGRudnick

Yeah, Searchlight Simulation's horns are stunning!!

• Like Like x 5
  42. JGRudnick

I am excited for this route, but DTG's past performance with North American sounds (excluding Peninsula Corridor) has me worried. As always, there is lots of potential for this route to be excellent, but it is up to DTG to make it that way. I am disappointed that the GP7 didn't make it into the game. But if the route is decent and a good loco DLC containing a GP7, SD45, or GE U-boat comes around, I guess my wallet will be empty! ;)

• Like Like x 4
  43. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I would be happy if they started selling horns packages to TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  44. MetrolinkF125#916

These horns are stunning! Really wish those were in TSW. DTG should also step it up when it comes to American locomotive sounds, since most of the horns (of course, except for the peninsula corridor) are pretty lame, especially the sand patch ones, those really suck. If DTG includes spot-on accurate horns with the clinchfield, it’ll be a dream come true!

• Like Like x 5
  45. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Well, there is that one reason they have mentioned over, and over, and over again preventing them from recording new sounds now, especially in other countries. Not sure if it is right now just used as a very convenient excuse not to have to do it, or if the reason actually stands. I try to tell myself that it is the, latter. But then who knows.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Regarding sounds, most the US stock was meh *before* covid existed, bar PenCorr. While its the perfect excuse/reason for them to not be acquiring sounds, there are people virtually throwing themselves at dtg regarding assistance with sounds etc.
    That being said, if they do a simple copy/paste of the F7 from CRR via TS classic itll be nice enough (horn included)

Wishful thinking as well, i hope this dlc has a bit of grime. The CRR in its heyday was rough with feverish hauling of dank and dusty coal - Itd sure help aid in the ambience of it all

I personally got started when it was just CSX HH and i was blown away (sure the sounds blah blah)... but still, it was amazing seeing the SandPatchGrade in 'lifelike' size. Im not putting all my eggs in one basket BUT i hope this topples SPG in grand fashion

• Like Like x 3
  47. JustWentSouth

I would be all in on that. It would be great to mix and match the horns and plug different horns into different liveries.

I totally get it. Yet there are things that can be done. Next time you are on SPG, use the 8 cam to park yourself under a bridge and listen to the horn as it passes by. It is much better! A little bit of reverb is added along with a nice tonal echo at the end. The horn sounds much less synthesized. So, there are improvements that are available and those that are already in place - I just wish the under the bridge sound could be made permanent.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  48. JGRudnick

After reading the Clinchfield article a few times, I have a theory...

So we know that the Clinchfield was a major coal hauling railroad. The article talks extensively about this. It also tells us that we will be getting a caboose, and we all assume a coal hopper of some kind.
    The article does touch upon the mixed freight services the railroad ran hauling automobiles and general merchandise as well.

The article also mentions the railroad hauling fresh produce. Twice actually.
    While that may not be significant, there is a whole paragraph dedicated to the Florida Perishable.

So long story short, I think we may be getting refrigerated boxcars, along with at least one timetable service for the Florida Perishable.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  49. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

As much as I like this I think this might be a bit too much content for a "typical" TSW DLC. Coal probably won't be on its own, mixed freight is somewhat of a reasonable bet. But I think FP might more likely be a part of a loco DLC (maybe U36) adding a loco, a freight car and a layer.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Blacknred81

It could be a possibility. The CRR did own a good amount of 40ft and 50ft Reefers as part of the FGE, so that could be a possibility, if DTG doesn't go the generic route....
    aaaaaaa.png
    I would assume they would be in this older scheme, not the newer SOLID GOLD scheme.
    999993cbb9cb6d80f149da9190b531e2.jpg
    se22-24proto7.jpg
    7304941754176534cf0bf9e560fdd8c3.jpg

Interesting I cannot find one marked in CRR lettering EXCEPT for the one caboose photo that I listed in the OP.
    TTJFghC.jpg

• Like Like x 2