Train Sim World 2 - Appalachian Gem

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I honestly forgot about using the Caboose for the livery editor. With it being the Santa Fe style one, gonna have to paint me up an ATSF one once it comes out.
    atsf999625b.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Really hope DTG does NOT mess this one up, like it did for the other routes, this is something most ppl are excited for and they’d really disappoint us if the route is the same as the others, there is so much opportunity for this to be a flagship, best selling route that’ll blow the other routes outta the water (no offense to fans of British, German, or French routes, or routes from any other country)!

• Like Like x 3
  3. MetrolinkF125#916

There will be tons of liveries for the caboose once it comes out, maybe ppl will rush to paint the caboose more than the actual locos haha!

• Like Like x 1
  4. MetrolinkF125#916

And to complete the set, u can paint an F7, ala ATSF:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Excellent stuff. It’s so interesting to read about the routes that are coming up and get some nice images from real life. Looking forward to this route after loving SPG so much.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Gary Dolzall

Gary Dolzall Well-Known Member

"Can you explain us, for heaven, where is absent section Dante-St. Paul?"

As stated in the article, the upcoming TSW version of the Clinchfield will include all the CRR's north-end branch lines - the Greenbriar (Haysi), McClure, Nora, and Fremont Branches - the latter two of which were not included in TS1. In addition to the 35-mile main line section from Elkhorn City to Dante, these branch lines add ~27 more route miles and extensive operations. Nearly 40% of the coal originated on the Clinchfield came off the Fremont Branch alone. The addition of these branches adds far more mileage, operations, and variety than was present in the 7-mile section between Dante and St. Paul.

• Like Like x 30
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. Blacknred81

Honestly, not a bad tradeoff, lose a short section of the mainline for some new branchlines not used in TS21? I'm game.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

Thank you, dear Gary! Your answer made my day) Now I can sleep very well without any nightmares)))

• Like Like x 4
  9. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

That's an amazing tradeoff. Branching the route offers much more variety than just more mainline length. Since this is a slow route, 35 mi/56km will still take a long time to drive so shortening it in favour of more branches is a huge win imo. I feel like there's potential for a great service mode.

• Like Like x 9
  10. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Please don't get discouraged to bring these kind of articles. In my opinion this is a brilliant lead up to the first screenshots lateron. People like myself who are in no way familiar with neither the region nor the routes purpose can learn alot of interesting and useful information, if open for it.

Sure you could just read through Wikipedia but I found this article to be tailored for TSW enthusiasts quite well - the wiki can get too broad easily. Big up for the photos as well, very impressive.

And apart from that you confirmed the branches and the caboose, so "complaining" that you had nothing to tell/show is simply wrong...

• Like Like x 20
  11. mclitke

People: "oh wow you just copied TS routes to TSW2, DTG so lazy"
    also people: "oh wow you did not copy the route from TS completely into TSW2, DTG so lazy"
    :D

• Like Like x 6
  12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Trains? Not again...

13. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

NIce pictures. It sounds promising to me. I like this type of route. Just wait and see how the real thing works out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andy Gough

Andy Gough Member

Reading some of the comments here makes me embarrassed to be part of the TSW community. Excellent article about the history behind the route. Looking forward to it coming to the game

• Like Like x 20
  15. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Yes it is an interesting article and I learned a lot from reading it. Having read it I also know more about the route and how it will be in TSW2 - which is why it is on the TSW2 website.

If I hadn't bothered reading any of it and just looked at the pictures of course then I might have been disappointed there aren't any screenshots of how it will look in game, but then again...

• Like Like x 4
  16. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

Great article! Looking forward to more info and some development screenshots! Also nice of the author to add the proper pronunciation of the town of Dante (“rhymes with ‘ant’”) to differentiate it from the more popular association of the name.

• Like Like x 5
  17. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Well this route probably piques my interest more than any other route made for TSW. Single track running and branch lines sound fantastic, something to do! Meeting opposing trains in sidings is a lot more interesting to me as opposed to driving from point A to B on a double track main. I just hope DTG actually makes some good scenarios to take advantage of this, and the services as well.

DTG has not earned my trust enough for me to pre-order, I'm going to wait until this one comes out and hear some experiences from others, but I may be willing to go ahead and pay full price for it if the reviews are favorable.

Hope it will work with a RailDriver.

Certainly looking forward to more screenshots!

• Like Like x 4
  18. Adam Palmer

Adam Palmer Active Member

Judging by the, for the most part, stellar quality of the TS1 Clinchfield route I'm quite looking forward to this version. I'm a sucker for 1970's US railroading. I'm also looking forward to at least one prototypical model of caboose used by the Clinchfield as well as a proper coal hopper with appropriate lettering and whatnot. I would have personally prefer the center cupola caboose but maybe we'll get that with a DLC or something. I just hope that the route comes with appropriate manifest equipment for bridge traffic, if not with the stock pack then maybe with a DLC, as well as hopefully a GP38 and/or GP7. Also I look forward to using the scenario planner for some later CSX scenarios.

• Like Like x 6
  19. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

12874CEF-5636-4981-A6A9-5DF0787F12A2.jpeg B009E168-29EC-41C2-9C31-0E5A8E75E65E.jpeg
    Arosa line, Clinchfield. 2021 will be a great year. We will have a real caboose and 27 miles of multiple branch lines and 35 miles of main line set in the late 70s. That sounds like something everyone can enjoy. This has a high chance of being the most diverse route in TSW2 history and also one of most interesting and fun to drive. As a fan of USA freight I really can’t wait to see this route and I hope everyone is optimistic of what having a route with multiple branch lines will be like!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  20. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Great article Gary Dolzall!
    Do you have some cabview or engine room refrence shots? Looking forward to this release!

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

I’m so excited for this route! American content has been almost non existent in TSW 2, so I really hope they get this route right. That means no reused sounds, no missing services, no messed up scenery etc. I really look forward to 60+ miles of freight with the SD40, the F7, and the caboose, and hopefully we can see this route be an early candidate for steam. They have the potential for much more American approval if they get this right.

• Like Like x 6
  22. Blacknred81

So with the preview artwork up (Which shows a pair of F7A's), it brings up a question for me, how are the F7 B-Units gonna work in game? I'm gonna assume they wont be selectable in the locomotive menu, so are they gonna be treated as a piece of rolling stock (But powered) or will they be like the LIRR, where different liveries will be different configurations for the F-Units like the following sets....
    A-A
    A-B-A
    A-B
    A-B-B
    A-B-B-A

• Like Like x 4
  23. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If the period is as stated, late 70s early 80s, steam was long, long gone.

Besides. I would hope that players' introduction to driving a steam engine isn't on steep mountain grades!

• Like Like x 7
  24. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

Excellent short article with helpfull historical background. Pleasure to read and helps with immersion in the atmosphere of the upcomming route. Especially when you are not local or familiar with the timeline. Thank you!

Yeah, agree on that, would be nice to have some integrated info pages for all the routes ingame. Historical and technical data for locos too. Id love more details! Its called a simulator after all! ))

• Like Like x 4
  25. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

I agree, I love the informative post out today via Dovetail Live explaining and giving a little history lesson about the Legendary Clinchfield Rail Road here in the U.S.
    Now I understand this route was also on TS classic but seeing this route come to life in a whole different form excites me. Not only that but it's our first official new U.S route DLC for 2021 and TSW 2!!!

I am looking forward and I am interested in how the caboose cars come out. It would be great to actually go inside them, use the air brakes they used to offer and act like a brakeman, keep any eye for the cars, and generally look around in a vanishing special railroad car The caboose.

About Caboose cars:

Cabooses provide shelter for crew at the end of a train, who were formerly required in switching and shunting, keeping a lookout for load shifting, damage to equipment and cargo, and overheating wheel axles. Cabooses were used on every freight train in the United States until the 1980s, when safety laws requiring the use of cabooses and full crews were relaxed and eventually phased out. Developments in monitoring and safety technology, such as line-side defect detectors and end-of-train devices or EOTs, resulted in crew reductions and the phasing out of caboose cars. Nowadays, they are generally only used on rail maintenance or hazardous materials trains, as a platform for crew on industrial branch and spur lines when it is required to make long reverse movements, or on heritage and preserved railways in their original design.

Overall my hopes are high for this route, so far based on the post I can put my bar high but not too high. I have seen and been around here for a while and I kind of know what to expect but maybe this time it's different. Although I love to hear what others think about this upcoming route, so share your thoughts and remember keep it mostly positive and don't target anyone or mistreat anyone for what they say. It's your opinion, let's keep it at that.

• Like Like x 5
  26. kolesnikvictor

I didn't want to blame DTG in laziness or something like that. I just try to understand DTG logic. Since I have TS version I want to know difference between TS and TSW because I don't buy any new staff automatically. Official DTG members still keeping silence and don't say anything about my question. Very strange attitude from my point of view. Unfortunately some people doesn't understand it and remain joking

Edited by DTG Natster - Watch your language.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

What was your question? Gary already replied to your question with regards to the St. Paul stretch of mainline.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You got a reply from the guy who wrote the article, hardly what I would call silence from DTG. With the accusatory manner in which you asked the question, I’m surprised you got any reply. You were basically accusing them of cutting out a bit of the route, not asking what the difference was. If you had read the article you wouldn’t have even had to ask what the difference was, as it’s all there.

• Like Like x 4
  29. kolesnikvictor

Did you carefully follow the thread? I absolutely POLITELY asked my question to Natster about absent section Dante St-Paul but didn't get any answer as usual. Gary replied me. He gave me absolutely clear and comprehensive information. I'm satisfied. After that I got that strange comments against my person. Why? Stop it, please. I'm not going to ping everyone about my question.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Apologies, I was just confused why you said "Official DTG members still keeping silence" (emphasis mine) when an official DTG member (Gary) already had replied to you. The logic did not follow so I queried you for clarification. I am glad to hear that you are satisfied.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  31. mclitke

Who are you to be entitled to an answer again? If you don't get an answer that is how it is. If they were to answer each question they get they would be doing nothing but writing answers.

32. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

There will be one track operation on this railway. This will be a novelty at TSW. I wonder how traffic management will handle that. I really liked the photos. I'm really looking forward to this railway line.

• Like Like x 1
  33. kolesnikvictor

Once again. I didn't want to blame anyone. Sorry to everyone. I JUST WANTED TO GET INFORMATION TO MAKE CORRECT CHOICE ABOUT PURCHASING new DLC, nothing more. I'm not neither Englishman nor American and it rather hard to me to understand some specific information in DTG articles. Gary provided me all relevant information in his reply and it's enough for me. Thank you Gary, again! I wanted to get such an reply

• Like Like x 1
  34. kolesnikvictor

Good as you, man! No more, no less. Single but relevant and adequate Gary's reply costs a lot more than tones of aggressive and irrelevant ones

35. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Jeez... stop with the caps lock on it’s more a pain to read your moaning

• Like Like x 2
  36. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I appreciate previous articles such as this one, which provide background on the route, as well as additional information on what will be included. With very good pictures too!
    I find it ridiculous that anyone would complain about this. There will be other articles with screenshots, this is just the hors d'oeuvre!

• Like Like x 3
  37. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yeah, it's the most exciting part for me as well.

From an algorithmic point of view, there is only one trigger that is a variable - the player - but it can be done better (realistic feel) and worse (repeatability, consequently schematic). I am very curious \o/

PS You can freeze the timetable until we reach the designated place (the scenarios probably work like that). But The Dash 8 case, which has already been mentioned here, bodes well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

My profile avatar does not approve of this quote.

• Like Like x 5
  39. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Bismarck is better then the ship on your avatar

• Like Like x 1
  40. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

And Rodney swiss cheesed Bismarck. Besides, Bismarck might have one shotted my beloved Hood, but Hood won the battle of who was the better looker by a nautical mile.

• Like Like x 2
  41. mclitke

I like trains

• Like Like x 1
  42. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

I like trains...and big guns...and trains with big guns.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  43. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

I would say the F7 formations in CRR may gonna be looking more having:
    - A-B-B-A (Common for mainline)
    - A-B-A
    - A-A
    or just a single A unit for extras or something light. Does depends on what train there gonna be hauling.
    Though would be fun to see some mix matches with the SD40 on these formations. Be pretty unique for this line.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

It sounds lovely. I would have preferred steam diesel transition era for flexibility of operations, when US steam arrives.

A video introduction including maps would have been more helpful to me as the place names mean nothing to me.

Which pictures are from the game ?

Shame about the comment suggesting what people can and can't write and another purporting to speak for everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

None so far.

• Like Like x 1
  46. MetrolinkF125#916

LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  47. MetrolinkF125#916

Imagine seeing this train in TSW lol, that’ll be really tough to operate!

• Like Like x 2
  48. MetrolinkF125#916

Yea we would have to wait a little more for official screenshots of the route, and yes these ppl need to chill out the route is probably still in development anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

A scenario planner option for the Bakerloo line would be 'interesting'.

• Like Like x 3
  50. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

0304203B-7B4E-49C1-AEF0-1911035696E2.png
    (Image from Train Sim world wiki)
    Looks like it’s going to be a great route in terms of what DTG decided. This will be fantastic. If you start at Elk horn alone you have 5 different just A-B service options. If you have services where you have to travel up a certain branch line and then to another you have a bunch of different possibilities!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 23
    • Helpful Helpful x 1