Xbox Reduced Points For Speeding, Even Though You're Not?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sparkymarky800, Feb 19, 2021.

1. sparkymarky800

sparkymarky800 Member

I've been driving the 375 and 395 on SEHS and noticed that even though you don't go over the speed limit, you get reduced points for speeding.

I'm guessing that if you go over say 30.1mph in a 30mph limit it's classed as speeding?

Has anyone else noticed this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Yes, I had noticed that too. Can't remember which route it was on or which loco I was using but it did happen to me.
    My reaction was "how am I speeding?" "The dial on the HUD isn't yellow or red to indicate overspeed and yet you take 15 points away from me".

3. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

yes we get this on the PS4 but i never take no notice of the points as i think they are pointless. lol

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Give some more detail,
    Where on the route?
    Whats the limit showing and what's the speed the HUD is showing (and if you can the train gauges)
    Then we can see if we can recreate it

5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

As you said if the white bar is even slighly over the red needle it will count as over the speed limit. That means that if you go 70.1 mph if the speed limit is 70mph it will count as speeding, even if the speedometer will round it to 70.

Keep in mind some digital speedos will round the speed normally (for example 70 until it's 70.4), others will show 71 as soon as the speed is 70.1.

If you use the LIRR M7 and the Ctrl+5 part of the HUD you will see there is a discrepancy due to the different method of rounding the speed, also keep that in mind if you drive without that part of the HUD.

I don't know if the TGV and the Cl. 395 round the speed like the HUD.

Also some in-cab speedometer can be slighty inaccutate (Class 66 and Br363 for example) so if you want to maximise the score you will have to use the full HUD interface or stay 1 or 2 km/h the speed limit.

Present an all routes and trains as far as I'm aware.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  6. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

If only this were true in real life. What I like to call 'driving enthusiastically' only saw my points increase further three weeks ago. To be fair to the rozzers though, I was enjoying WAY more enthusiasm than 30.1mph in a 30 zone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

I think the HUD counts everything from say 50.0 to 50.9 as 50 miles an hour (or kph if applicable). If the speed limit is 50, it will not turn yellow until you hit 51.0. While the HUD shows only the whole number amounts for everything 10 mph and above it still calculates the decimal values off screen.

The speedometer on the train will count 50.5 to 51.4 as 51 mph. Anything over that .5 value over the speed limit it considers speeding regardless of what the HUD displays.

That’s my theory anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The game WRT the HUD speed limit (which is the one points are based on) will give you up to 0.9 over- 40.9 still counts as 40, just don't go to 41.0. OTOH, PZB gives you no leeway at all: 40.1 under restricted monitoring will slam the brakes on.

9. Driver8666

Driver8666 Active Member

No. Because I keep the speedo 1mph, or km/h below. I already know this stunt. Sometimes the alerter (I'm using the NA term here) is very sensitive. But yes, unless the locomotive has that .5 variance, you will get nailed for speeding if you go .1 over.

10. Driver8666

Driver8666 Active Member

It's not a theory, that's fact. But I keep mine 1 below and have never had that issue.

11. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Same. I removed the AP HUD with Ctrl 6 so it never displays points anymore.

12. vincentnicholas202

vincentnicholas202 Member

that one, this is the problem. Do you see this speed indicator

Attached Files:

13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There is now a fairly large disconnect between the HUD speedometer showing yellow or red and the speed at which the game gives a penalty for over-speeding. You will also stay in the yellow zone for a considerable speed above what the game considers to be a zero point offence. It’s odd because in TSW2020 the two things correlated perfectly. If it went yellow, +15 points, if it went red, +0 points. Now there is no actual correspondence between the two and the penalties occur before the colour change. There is also the red triangle that appears now after the HUD speedo goes red, if you go even further over the limit, which is a nice touch but of no real use.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

I agree. This is really annoying. You should get marked down if you go into the yellow zone, not for going 0.5mph over the limit

• Like Like x 1