Question About Helpers On Sand Patch

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Averageatom6446, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Averageatom6446

Averageatom6446 New Member

So I am currently doing a helper service and for some reason I'm getting passenger speed limits, is this realistic?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The only time you should get passenger speed limits (79 mph) is when you are running light engine (1 or 2 locos).

• Like Like x 3
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You are my hero, Crosstie \o/ It is not so EZ to find this information.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Um, passenger speed limits on helper locos? I think not, ur still coupled to the super long and heavy freight train ur helping to get up the grade, and speed is regulated by the crew in the lead locos, and helpers just, help, so running that fast...

5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure they are referring to the helper services where you have to return to Cumberland with the Helper locos AFTER they have detached from the train they are helping.

• Like Like x 4
  6. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Oh well in that case, then maybe this fellow player is allowed to proceed at passenger speeds, thanks for the correction:)

7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are also some services hauling freight where the HUD gives you the passenger speed limits. If I remember correctly I’ve only had that happen on some services when I’ve driven the GP38. I always assume they are bugged and drive to the lower limits. The helper return runs are fun when you get up to some nice speeds on an otherwise slow route.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

The only thing I would add though which might not be obvious is that even though you can run at passenger speeds when you’re running light engine, there is a maximum speed restriction of 60mph if line speed is under 90mph. So if passenger linespeed is 79mph and even if the loco top speed is 100mph, for example, you can only do 60mph if you’re travelling light.
    This is the rule in U.K. so I don’t know about the US but I imagine it would be something similar because the braking is reduced when travelling light.

Edited to add: Union Pacific’s rule is max 70mph when travelling light

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the railroad and even the route. I know on the Amtrak Michigan Line, which Norfolk Southern switches the industries, sometimes the local will run back to the yard engines light. On this route in particular, the engines light aren't allowed to go over 25mph. I'm not too sure why though.

• Like Like x 2
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yeah. I look that there are special company-dependent (not the only factor) regulations for 'running light'.
    Averageatom6446, I think we have to pretend, in this particular case these are regulations by DTG :D

That was an interesting question! BR o7

• Like Like x 2
  11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Overall you are correct, but the highest limit on the modeled Sand Patch route is 60 mph.

• Like Like x 1
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes; the Federal Railroad Administration sets absolute Vmax limits for passenger/freight depending on the class of trackage, but individual railroads can and often do set lower ones.

Over track that meets all of the requirements prescribed in this part for - The maximum allowable operating speed for freight trains is - The maximum allowable operating speed for passenger trains is -
    Excepted track
    10 N/A
    Class 1 track 10 15
    Class 2 track 25 30
    Class 3 track 40 60
    Class 4 track 60 80
    Class 5 track 80 90

There are also Class 6 and 7 tracks, high-speed lines, but freight, even if allowed on them, is still limited to 80.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

There are also additional separate regulations for 'running light' (non-f/p)
    Yeah, I know, this is crazy :D

• Like Like x 1