Ffestiniog Railway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MrSouthernDriver, Feb 19, 2021.

1. MrSouthernDriver

MrSouthernDriver Well-Known Member

The railway is roughly 13 1⁄ 2 miles (21.7 km) long and runs from the harbour at Porthmadog to the slate mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog, travelling through forested and mountainous scenery. The line is single track throughout with four intermediate passing places.

the rolling stock

t
    o be honest there isnt much known about the rolling stock on the route but heres the closest i can find [​IMG]

the 14xx units where the backbone of steam
    Designed by C.B. Collett the Class was introduced in 1932. Initially designated 48xx Class they were re-classified 14xx Class in 1946. Away from the sound and fury of the main line these pretty little locomotives plied their trade on a majority of Western Region branch lines, winding their way through the rolling countryside..

in terms of services theres no real number on how many there are but i would estimate about 5 to 10 services

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I'm not much on kettles but I do know the Ffestiniog is narrow gauge particularly famous for its double Fairlie articulated steam locomotives. There's a Train Simulator route which looks pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

Personally I would prefer the much better integrated Tallyln Railway in Tywyn, Wales, this could come as an extra fun part of the longer mainline serving Tywyn Main, having been on the Ffestiniog, I wanst a fan, and while Porthmadog is nice enough, Blenau Ffestiniog isnt, and as the Tallylyn is 8ish miles, this would allow for a good run in a 158 to Tywyn, and then you could continue towards Barmouth, or down south to somewhere I cant spell, at Tywyn you could disembark and head to the narrow gauge line and drive that

4. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

or DTG can just let us go to
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
    But announcements would be mandatory for this route, for the funzies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JJTimothy

You can.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I was going to say that too before I saw your post, we would have to get Natalie to pronounce it for us ;)

7. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

Would be a fun route with the double fairlie. The only similarity between the Ffestiniog's locos and the 14xx is that they both run on steam lol

8. JJTimothy

Ah- a clarification. You can if you have North Wales Coastal including the Holyhead extension which is currently unavailable at Virgin's behest (and Arriva's presumably if VT hadn't beaten them to it).

9. InstaSim

InstaSim Member

The announcement for LlanfairPG really isn't as entertaining as you may think unfortunately :P They shorten it to Llanfairpwll for the announcements.

Think you'd have a few problems trying to fit the 14xx on a 1ft 11 3/4inch gauge route. The Fairlies and England locos are quite famous and run on the route. I think it also gets about 4-6 return journeys a day (at least before CoVid)

10. FfestiniogMatt

FfestiniogMatt Member

I'd like to see it on the Dduallt spiral. In all honesty though the Ffestiniog Railway does have a wide variety of rolling stock with 2 Double Fairlies, a Single Fairlie, 3 England engines, Linda, Blanche. The timetable is busy during the summer season and packed during a gala. It'd be possible to have the route in TSW go from Caernarfon to Blaenau Ffestiniog as the route is about 38.5 miles end to end. It's also a challenging route, the engines might be small but they do a lot of work.