North/mid Wales Route Of Some Degree

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by InstaSim, Feb 23, 2021.

1. InstaSim

InstaSim Member

With a Scottish route now being added to the roadmap, I'm really hoping a Welsh route could now be worked on at some point, ideally sooner than a Welsh route came to TS Classic. If a Welsh route is made, something made in North/Mid Wales would also be quite nice to see.

The obvious candidate here would probably be North Wales Coastal from Crewe to Holyhead as it's a nice and relatively long route. It also had some time on TS Classic for a while before it was discontinued and was quite a popular route. It'd be nice to see this route maybe extend to Shrewsbury on TSW, this will then take the route along the one section of the North-South Wales mainline which has never made it into TS Classic before, between Chester and Shrewsbury via Wrexham General. This would then distinguish it from what was already made before.

Another nice route going kind of between North and Mid Wales is the Cambrian Coast, which I think would be a nice route to see. Not only does it start in the beautiful Shrewsbury station, but it also involves largely single track working, and the modern day route utilises ERTMS in-cab signalling which I would, personally, love to see implemented in TSW at some point (I have a thing for in-cab signalling, don't judge me), but it is also a beautiful route which I think TSW can really compliment.

Rolling stock in Wales is quite simple, particularly North Wales anyway. Class 175s do the vast majority intercity North-South Wales journeys, with 158s doing most of the Birmingham bound services. Sometimes you may get the odd 150 doing one of these services as well, but that's besides the point.
    Also, only 158s can do the Cambrian Coast due to the ERTMS signalling system, but I don't see this as a huge problem as the 158s are pretty nice units. I suppose the only drawback really is that there's not much variety of units which can be done for the Cambrian Coast, but I suppose the Class 197s could be an option for adding on at a later date when they finally come into service.

But these are my main suggestions. If anyone has any comments to add to this then feel free to add them :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. FfestiniogMatt

FfestiniogMatt Member

I'd like to see the Cambrian Coast but in the 1960's because there'd be more choice than a single 158 with maybe the chance of the 97 showing up. North Wales has a good choice good selection of heritage railways though with the Llangollen Railway which is the only standard gauge railway in North Wales and used to run through to the Cambrian Coast. If you follow where the track used to be you'd end up at the Bala Lake Railway.

Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland is my personal favourite with the Welsh Highland Railway being the UK's longest heritage railway at 25 miles and connects to the Ffestiniog Railway which is 13.5 miles at Harbour Station. Both railways have a lot of history and a wide range of rolling stock modern and vintage with beautiful scenery running through the Snowdonia National Park.

3. FfestiniogMatt

FfestiniogMatt Member

One thing that is missing though is a staff and ticket or token system that is used on heritage/single line railways and I'd like to see this added as could increase gameplay and immersion.