My Colton & Northern Situation

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Feb 9, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Long ago in 2009, I discovered AllAboard Rails and bought several of their well-crafted routes including Colton & Northern. Fast-forward to 2020, when I used Steam to move my TS and TSW collection to a roomier, external hard drive (please don't give me any grief about this, the move was completely managed by Steam), Colton & Northern transferred, but without its scenarios.
    After stewing about this for a while and discovering that I could no longer find that 1909 installation RWP file, I decided to re-buy the route, which had since become available through Steam. When I entered the new purchase's Product Code, installation failed because I "already own the product". I used Steam to supposedly remove the 1909 version and tried installing the new purchase again, with the same (non) result.
    I've submitted a ticket to DTG support, but am hoping that someone else has a solution to this situation. By the way, I've searched my entire system for "Colton" to no avail.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Just putting this out there have you done a integrity check of where it now.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have a look in your Steam Client to see if the route is there.
    If so first untick then retick the route to reinstall the missing bits of data.

4. LastTrainToClarksville

Yes -- more than once, in fact; but the problem I described still exists.

5. LastTrainToClarksville

As so often happens, DTG Support has sent me several suggestions that I have already tried without success. One of these seems quite simple: use the Train Simulator - DLC tab available in Steam to remove and replace the troublesome DLC package. Unfortunately, while this supposedly does remove the 2009 version of Colton & Northern purchased directly from AllAboardRails, it does not make possible using the Steam key I purchased for the newer Steam version of that route, since Steam's "ADD A GAME function simply declares that C&N is already installed.

At the end of DTG's Support's message, they state, "Before your next reply, we will require you to work through our Experiencing Technical Difficulties Guide. If you get stuck on any of the tasks, please let us know." This Never Ending Story process can be found here: https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/267/12/experiencing-technical-issues . Anyone who actually completes all of the lengthy, complicated steps should be awarded free DLC for life.

Ah! for the good old days, when purchased or freeware TS add-ons took the form of a simple *.rwp file installed easily via TS Utilities or, in many cases, simply copying one or more files into the correct TS [now RailSimulator] folder.

Just as a reminder of why I started this thread: the C&N route is installed on my computer, but without any scenarios -- this after 3 long journeys through completely removing and reinstalling RW. I have, on my computer's "desktop" the original Colton & Northern route folder, which I have tried simply copying into the SteamLibrary\steam\common\RailWorks\Content\Routes folder -- with absolutely disastrous OoM crash results. W-h-y doesn't this work?

6. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Scenarios tend to sit in the Content / Routes folder, either on their own or inside an AP file.
    Just download a random workshop scenario and look it up once extracted. Then look up the same folder in the old install and copy over.

C&N is a nice busy old route, but my personal advice would be to let it go anyway. It doesn't look good by current standards, it's more of a historical experience. I'd also recommend replacing most rolling stock - to GPs, timber wagons, low and high metal waste gondolas.
    The only significant advantage over other, similarly featured routes is its layout, enabling you to jump from one train to another in physical vicinity, but many route miles away.

Alternatively, consider a fresh reinstall. You should get the current route that way just fine.
    What we say in IT... stuff is hard only the first time, practice makes perfect. Torturing yourself with frequent reinstalls and stuff actually keeps you skilled, and minimizes consequences of changes, one at a time.

It's always easier to move an entire Steam Library than cherry pick items from it. I also managed to move folders manually.
    Steam is generally not responsible for extra files inside an installation (saves, 3rd party), although one could argue it should just move the folders entirely.

Not sure it helps, just mostly trying to help your mental status with this.

7. Ken

Ken New Member

I've had most of the AllAboard Rails routes since the Railworks days and after seeing this post I figured I'd try to run a Colton and Northern scenario. To my surprise, when I selected the Colton and Northern route from the Standard tab, no scenarios were presented to be run.

I took a little more in-depth look and structurally, it looks like all the scenario files are there. I restarted TS, clicked Drive and selected the Standard tab and noticed that on the right side of the screen there is a list of scenarios. This list is in alphabetical order by Route. Scrolling down this list, I was able to find all of the Colton and Northern scenarios, which I could select and play. Up to this point, I had not actually selected a Route on the left side of the screen. I selected Colton and Northern on the left side of the screen and got a blank list of scenarios.

Once you've selected a Route on the left side of the screen, you can't get back to the full list of Standard scenarios unless you exit and restart TS. What I noticed in that list is that none of the Colton and Northern scenarios had a Train Name associated with it. I also noticed the same thing with other route scenarios. What it looks like to me is that the interface will not show scenarios for a selected route where the Train Name is blank.

I'm not into tinkering with the files, so don't know if there is a way of updating the scenarios to include the correct Train Name to see if that would fix them not showing up when the Route is selected on the left hand side of the screen.

I also tried this on a new computer that I setup earlier this year with a complete reload of TS direct from Steam. All of my TS is from Steam purchases, so I don't have to worry about third-party items. I found the same problem on the new install.

So, to play the missing scenarios, start TS, go to Drive and select the Standard tab. Do not select a Route on the left hand side. Scroll down the list on the right hand side until you get to the Colton and Northern scenarios. You can select and play the scenarios from that list. If you select a Route on the left hand side, this list will not be available again until you restart TS.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. LastTrainToClarksville

Extremely helpful, Ken!!!!! All 22 C&N's "native" scenarios ready and waiting to be run. "Letting [C&N] go", as suggested above, just isn't acceptable to this nostalgic patron of AllAboardRails. Yes: the sky dome is a disaster; yes: the speed limit is 40 mph everywhere; yes, the track layout is pretty peculiar from a bird's-eye perspective, but on the ground-level-engine-driving pov it's just fine for me. Who knows why DTG doesn't document the scenario-finding feature you've discovered or why C&N's scenarios don't show up on the route's tab where they should. Score another -10 for them and a +100 for you!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ken

Ken New Member

Glad that also worked for you. Enjoy running the old scenarios. This also seems to work for the old Fort Kent Route as well.

10. LastTrainToClarksville

It does, indeed -- and there are a lot of those; and let's not forget Fort Smith to Heavener and its extensive Switching Is Railroading scenario pack. Whoopee!