Signal Rules For All The Lines

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by vogelm10, Mar 1, 2020.

1. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, very helpful.

A few minor comments/pedantic comments regarding British signalling:

1. PRIs are not only for splitting distant signals. They can used for junctions with flashing yellow sequences and they can even be used for junctions that you can run on greens on approach to junction signal. E.g. Leaving Paddington on GWE, there is a PRI on the approach to the turn off towards North Pole/Old Oak Common. Unfortunately, TSW just shows the PRI blank. (In order to have just greens on approach to junction signal, the junction speed would have to be the same or within 10mph of the straight on speed)

2. That isn’t a block signal. It is an automatic signal. I suspect you meant to have that rotated 90 degrees in which case it would be an Intermediate block signal. Come to think of it, maybe you meant block signal as in to differentiate it from a distant signal because it can show a stop aspect but then there are various signal plates you could get (that is an an automatic signal shown but there are also semi-automatic and controlled signals which have slightly different signal plates; they are all referring to whether it is the signaller or automatic passage of trains that control the signal)

3. SPAD indicators (usually on the approach to a junction) could also mean another train has gone past a danger signal not just you which could potentially be a conflicting move. e.g. potentially a head on collision. Generally speaking, they are redundant and not many left.

4. The ‘blue and white’ stripes used to denote Multi-SPAD (signals that have been at danger more than once in the last 3 years) was just a trial done by Network Rail some years ago so doesn’t really apply anymore.

5. I suspect the ‘RA’ is supposed to mean ‘Right Away’ rather than being a route indicator which tells the driver that platform duties have been complete and the train can now leave (Its like getting 2 on the bell buzzer by the guard). But it can be a route indicator although usually on the top of the signal rather than to the side and a theatre box to display route would be a different theatre box for CD/RA for dispatch.

6. The ground position lights when it is displaying 2 whites has a very similar meaning to the description you provided for the 2 white lights associated with the main aspect below. 2 red lights or even 1 red and 1 white mean Danger/Stop just as with any other red light. ‘Shunting not allowed’ sounds a bit odd to be honest.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. vogelm10

Thanks for the tips, British signals are really confusing for me which is weird because they seem way simpler than the American ones! I drew those up a while back and never really thought to update them!

Yeah the LIRR on tsw doesn't like to show the approach medium or approach slow I've noticed when coming out of Penn Station and reaching the interlocking at Sunnyside. Otherwise I've been pretty impressed with how well the game does signals.

4. Jovet

Jovet New Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. vogelm10

• Like Like x 1
  6. IrishSpud

IrishSpud Member

Oh this is a great compact guide, cheers :)

7. vogelm10

Yup I have to update it a bit